Freeze Plugs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Freeze Plugs

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-08-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Freeze Plugs

Looks like I finally found the source of my coolant leak. Anybody have any experience/tips for replacing freeze plugs?

'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

So I was unable to find much in my FSM regarding replacement, but I did find a section talking about oil plugs that look similar. It says to put a screwdriver on the bottom lip and hit it with a hammer until it twists in the hole, and then pull it out with pliers. Sounds simple enough?

Or, I've thought about just cleaning up the area where it's leaking, and putting some gasket maker or JB Weld on the area to see if I can stop the leak. It would be a pretty rigged fix, but I'm thinking it would work?
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
powerwagon67
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yup! Use a screwdriver and a pliers or channel locks to get it out. Clean the surface well with some fine sandpaper as well as the outside of the new plug. Make sure there is no antifreeze seeping around the hole. Dry it out good. Put a fine skim amount of rtv silocone around the plug and smack it in. The best is to put a socket that fits nice in the plug and hit that when installing it. You may have to drop your exhaust to be able to work on that one easier.

Quad Zilla TowRig 2001 F350 Powerstroke SuperCrew (AKA Clyde)

GhostRidersJeepClub.ORG
powerwagon67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the reply! Looks like I've got today's project figured out. It looked simple enough, just wanted to see if I was missing anything. I'm thinking the exhaust will have to be dropped for sure.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 03-09-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Naturalhoosier
1998 ZJ 

Glad you found your source Ryan!!!!! Do you have the green covered FSM? I've looked in mine and it doesn't say much either.

What's the plug look like pre-install? Just looking at the pics, it looks likes a quarter-slug. I'm sure it's not...but that's just what it looks like.

My Ride: 1998 GC Limited
Colorado Jeep Club Member #15
Black Jeep Club Member #1976

Make the world a better place, punch a Boilermaker in the face!!!

Don't blame me...I didn't vote for him.
Naturalhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

The FSM I have is in PDF format on my computer, so I even searched the glossary using CTRL+F and still didn't find anything. They look like little cups...basically what you see in those pictures is what you get.

Now the bad news. Of course the plug that's gone bad is right behind the exhaust y-pipe on the driver's side. I'd be able to remove it without taking out the exhuast, but there's no way I'd be able to put it back in. So, now I can either take a half day to remove the y-pipe at the headers and replace the plug, or I can try one of the expandable plugs that auto parts stores have. Anybody ever used one of these?

'51 CJ-3A

Unread 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #7
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have not used one in a freeze plug application but I have used those in a plumbing application and they work well.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Sounds like it's worth a try at least.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 02-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
millermp77
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just purshased a 1998 Grand Cherokee with the I6 4.0L wich needs a rear freeze plug replaced, my question is did that expandable plug work for you??? and did you have to drop the exhaust or is there a way to do replace it without droping it?? I have been looking for manuals and they are very hard to find here in the UK.
millermp77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Its still leaking, but only because I haven't taken the time to pull the exhaust to replace it with anything yet. It's on my list of things to do this spring. I'm not even going to bother with an expandable one; I'm just going to replace it with brass when I do it.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 02-16-2009, 09:01 PM   #11
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Freeze plugs suck. It's always the ones that are the hardest to get to that leak. Best advice to give - get as much out of the way so that you can get a really straight shot on the plug when putting the new one back in. And make sure that you get the right size - CQ and NAPA have a ton to choose from, and they always seem to give you the one that is just a tiny bit off.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
dickensheets

Get a mopar block heater for $30 and put in that hole. They push in then tighten an expansion nut. Prob dont have to drop the pipe for this.
Unread 02-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

It would probably not be worth it, but I'll look into it.
'51 CJ-3A

Unread 06-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #14
jeepmason86

i have a 94 cherokee with leakingg freeze plugs and i am lookinf to put the rubber ones in myself.... is this a reasonable task for me to do myself??
jeepmason86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced a freeze plug in my van, a couple months ago.
Not a hard job at all. however sometimes they are in some very hard to reach places.
I tried to install a replacement plug and could not get to it well enough to press it in. The engine would have needed to be pulled to get to it well enough.
I got one of those expansion plugs shown above. It went right in zip, zip. That was 4,000 miles ago...no issues, no leaks.
An easy do-it-yourself project!
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.