foliage Ouray 8/16-20 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > foliage Ouray 8/16-20

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #31
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Dang. Thanks for the info. Any suggestions then? Do you think next weekend will be better or do you think that'll be too late?

How long did Owl Creek take? Did you do the whole thing from Gunnison reservoir then connecting with 550?

turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #32
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

It takes me about 45 minutes to get from 550 in Ridgway up to Owl Creek Pass and onto Silver Jack. I tend to stop and take my time. It's a really nice scenic drive too. It's supposed to snow here tomorrow but be sunny and cool this weekend. I think I'll head up there Saturday and will give a report and post pics.

Another really nice scenic drive is Co Road 2 from 550 just south of Colona to Billy Creek Wildlife Area, then take Co Rd 4 (the first turn off to the right) which will take you back down to 550 across from the state park. You'll see lots of wild turkeys and Elk this time of year.
Colorado Jeep Club member #970 (I'm an area code!)
jim9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #33
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
It takes me about 45 minutes to get from 550 in Ridgway up to Owl Creek Pass and onto Silver Jack. I tend to stop and take my time. It's a really nice scenic drive too. It's supposed to snow here tomorrow but be sunny and cool this weekend. I think I'll head up there Saturday and will give a report and post pics.

Another really nice scenic drive is Co Road 2 from 550 just south of Colona to Billy Creek Wildlife Area, then take Co Rd 4 (the first turn off to the right) which will take you back down to 550 across from the state park. You'll see lots of wild turkeys and Elk this time of year.
Looking forward to seeing your photos.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 06:10 AM   #34
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

We're heading to crested butte this eve, will see where our weekend takes us too.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #35
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cold with a rain/snow mix this morning, it's snowing in the high country. The colors are really starting to pop. Freeze Watch tonight with clearing and lows in the 20's. Sunshine with highs around 60 forecast for the weekend. I think it would be a perfect time to come to Ouray County. Roads may be a little muddy at first but they dry out fast.
Unread 09-28-2013, 06:06 AM   #36
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

We hit heavy snow fall from monarch pass west last nite. It was too warm to stick luckily. Doing kebler pass this am, then unsure where next.
Unread 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM   #37
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Bright sunshine deep blue sky and 29 degrees this morning. The San Juans and Cimarrons are blanketed with fresh snow. Aspens are really starting to have color. I'm going outside to play!
Unread 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #38
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sunny as well at kebler and marble. Kebler pass was a muddy mess from the snow. Apparently devils punchbowl is over rated. Saw a flatbed wrecker going up it this eve...ok he was actually going to retrieve a jčep that smoked a rear axle lol
Unread 09-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #39
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Went up Owl Creek Pass outside of Ridgway this morning. The aspens look to be about a week to two weeks late. But still nice color and snow.

Unread 09-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #40
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Here are some of what we took this weekend.

We went up to the Crystal Mill by Marble, and saw a broken down jeep with a broken axle shaft, or something along those lines halfway back. On the way out, we met a wrecker going back to fetch it. Feel sorry for that guy, going to be a nasty bill.
Unread 09-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #41
turbospartan
2012 WK 

We left Denver late Friday night (8:30pm), went through the snow storm on Monarch Pass (all in the dark) and stayed in Gunnison for the night. Woke up to snow on the ground.

Left Gunnison in the morning, headed for Telluride. Hung out there for a bit, then took Last Dollar Road back to Ridgway, then stayed in Ouray for the night. Woke up, saw a bear and her 2 cubs, checked out Box Canyon Falls, then headed south on 550 to Silverton. Colors are beautiful along that drive. Turned around in Silverton, and headed back to Denver.

Other good spots for foliage: Fairplay north to Breck and all around Dillon. Looks like next weekend could still be good for colors in certain areas, but I believe it is supposed to snow Thursday / Friday.

I'll post pics once I download them off the camera.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospartan View Post
We left Denver late Friday night (8:30pm), went through the snow storm on Monarch Pass (all in the dark) and stayed in Gunnison for the night. Woke up to snow on the ground.

Left Gunnison in the morning, headed for Telluride. Hung out there for a bit, then took Last Dollar Road back to Ridgway, then stayed in Ouray for the night. Woke up, saw a bear and her 2 cubs, checked out Box Canyon Falls, then headed south on 550 to Silverton. Colors are beautiful along that drive. Turned around in Silverton, and headed back to Denver.

Other good spots for foliage: Fairplay north to Breck and all around Dillon. Looks like next weekend could still be good for colors in certain areas, but I believe it is supposed to snow Thursday / Friday.

I'll post pics once I download them off the camera.
You were right behind us, but by a couple of hours. We made crested butte around 10ish that night. Independence Pass, and that route I would say is near peak now. From past experience that route changes earlier than other areas. Most of the places we went were still a few days to a week out from peak. I would say that those wanting to go out next weekend won't be disappointed except for the front range. Dress warm and be ready for snow and mud.
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #43
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

There's 3-8" of snow this morning all over Ouray County, so everything is white.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.