foliage Ouray 8/16-20 - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > foliage Ouray 8/16-20

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #16
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I tried the Uncompahgre Plateau Trail yesterday evening, rain turned to snow around 9300 feet but was too wet to really stick. Colors are starting to turn, should be perfect this week and weekend. I'm heading south to try the Alpine Loop today. If i have cell reception I'll report on the colors there.

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #17
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

We're heading west Friday after work. Depending on the time I get off work(ugh I have two axles and an engine to get together) we may attempt Cottonwood Pass Friday if it's open, and Kebler Pass Saturday am. I'd really love to get to Aspen for sunday am, but I don't see that happening.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

30 this morning and heavy frost, bright sunny blue sky and snow in the San Juans. This weekend should be perfect to see the colors.
Colorado Jeep Club member #970 (I'm an area code!)
jim9251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I think it was colder than that at Alta Lakes last night. there was snow on Engineers and Cinnamon Passes yesterday. Should be passable today, my BFG KMs couldn't handle it. Got denied 500 feet from the top of Cinnamon due to a 2ft deep drift. A few side by sides went of the trail but I didn't want to tear up the ground, their ruts were bad enough. Mineral Creek trail was beautiful though.
Unread 09-24-2013, 01:04 PM   #20
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

No luck with Imogene, Black Bear or Ophir... all impassable.
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatevah View Post
No luck with Imogene, Black Bear or Ophir... all impassable.

Thanks for these updates. I'm heading that way this weekend, hoping that some of the trails will be open.

GF gets a little iffy on these 4x4 trails, so if there is even the slightest bit of inclement weather... probably not gonna happen.

Any word on some of the lower elevation trails? How is Ophir Pass (edit; just saw you said Ophir is closed), Last Dollar Road, or Camp Bird road?

Please keep posting updates, if you have the time.
turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:44 PM   #22
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Rain/Snow forecast for Thursday into Friday here. Sunshine for the weekend and cool temps. I was on Owl Creek Pass yesterday up to Vista Point (Co Rd 10) and it was dry. County Rd 2 was dry also.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:08 PM   #23
whatevah
2012 JK Wrangler 

I met up with mgdenver today and we tried Imogene but it was basically closed beyond the Tomboy Mine. All of the sightseeing trucks were turning around there and a local tour guy had gone further but turned around. The visitor center in Telluride has a sign saying that Imogene, Black Bear and Ophir are all closed for the winter, but the Jeep rental guy there had them listed as "open" on his board... We took Last Dollar Road back to Rt 62/Ridgeway with no problems. Very scenic road!

If it snows any more, those trails will stay closed for sure. Last Dollar has some slick clay sections that'll be difficult if it's still wet.

Foliage-wise... the colors are turning nicely.
Unread 09-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Trail Conditions as of 09/24/2013

Our first significant snow in the higher elevations occurred on 9/22. San Miguel county has officially closed Imogene, Ophir and Black Bear. Please see updates below:

OPEN:

Imogene - is not passable over the top. Accessible to the Upper Camp Bird on Ouray side, and Tomboy on Telluride side. We will have to see some warm days to melt out ice over the summit.

Yankee Boy Basin

Red Mountain Town
Corkscrew
Gladstone
Animas
Engineer - 2 feet of snow accumulated on the Hinsdale side. The county will have equipment on the trail 9/24 to re-open.
Cinnamon
California
Picayune
Placer

Ophir - Icy at top, but passable
Last Dollar
Alta Lakes
Skyline Drive
Lime Creek

Governor's Basin

Velocity

Currently Closed or Underway

Black Bear

Poughkeepsie

Hurricane (may be re-opened by San Juan County)
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #25
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Thanks everyone for these updates....

Hoping that the foliage is perfect for this coming weekend, and hope that a couple of these lower difficulty/altitude trails will be open (prob do Last Dollar Road for sure, as I've read the views of the foliage are great from that road).
Unread 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #26
jim9251
2008 JK Wrangler 

Also try the Grand Mesa. Sunday is Color Sunday up there and should be really pretty.
Unread 09-26-2013, 03:54 PM   #27
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great meeting you whatevah and thanks for attempting to run Imogene with me.

Owl Creek & the Silver Jack are was really scenic trail if anyone is more interested in scenery than crawling. Ending up heading back to Denver via Crested Butte & Kebler pass. WOW i love that road. nothing difficult but its amazing, had lunch at lost lake too, pretty sweet.

Here are my first few edits from the trip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgerpe/...7635927583876/
mgdenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #28
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdenver View Post
Great meeting you whatevah and thanks for attempting to run Imogene with me.

Owl Creek & the Silver Jack are was really scenic trail if anyone is more interested in scenery than crawling. Ending up heading back to Denver via Crested Butte & Kebler pass. WOW i love that road. nothing difficult but its amazing, had lunch at lost lake too, pretty sweet.

Here are my first few edits from the trip

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgerpe/...7635927583876/
Nice pics. Could you lay out where you went, how long trails/roads took, rank them based on foliage/views? Looks like the trees haven't fully changed yet... ?

I'm heading up there this weekend so any tips will be appreciated
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #29
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks,

Yes, unfortunately were still about a week before things really start to change colors. Luckily im heading back to Crested Butte next weekend to try to catch some more photos.

In terms views/scenery in Telluride
Last Dollar Road (1.5hr drive)
Dallas Divide Parking lot of 62 just a parking lot about 15mins west of Ridgway
Country Road 7 & 9 have good opportunities too, 30 mins or so each depending how far you want to go.

These are just dirt roads so you can do them in any suv.

Not sure whats going on with the real jeep trails, sounds like a few more opened up which would be sweet, but apparently its supposed to snow heavy this weekend.

The pics of us driving through the hole in the rock and mining site was the first half of Imogene Pass. We had grand ambitions for Telluride, but they came up a bit short for wheeling.

Apparently the Aspens at Corkscrew just south of Ouray are in full color, so that might be worth checking out, Ironton park i believe is the pull off. Id check in with one of the Jeep rental places in town and ask whats open.

If you do Crested Butte there are a lot of options, but most of the high passes are closed.
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #30
mgdenver
2013 JK Wrangler 

forgot to mention, Owl Creek had some amazing views, the road goes from gunnison reservoir into Ridgway. Silver jack reservoir was really cool, id check that out too if you have time. again not a jeep trail, but it slices through the mountains and gives some great photo ops.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.