Feeler- anyone in FTC with 2 inch spring lift experience.......... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Feeler- anyone in FTC with 2 inch spring lift experience..........

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-04-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Tj Feeler- anyone in FTC with 2 inch spring lift experience..........

Hey guys, I have this fri/sat off and while I haven't cleared it with the wife, I have been thinking about finally putting my lift on. It is a 2 inch pro comp spring lift with mx-6 shocks and 3/4" spacers to go up front (to level out the rake). I do not have any trac bar relocater brackets or adjustable trac bars, but i recently purchased new (to me) wheels with less backspacing so I don't think I should have any problems running the lift. At any rate, if there is anyone in the area who has experience with a lift such as this, or who may want to learn with me, I would be more thank happy to supply the beverage/food of your choice. Currently, the most mechanicaly inclined things I have done to my Jeep are install a body lift, instal some motor mounts (with newracers help), and instal a steering box skid so I'm not sure exactly what I'm in for, but I guess i'll find out.

Colorado Jeep Club member #87
stangman68inftc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I might be able to swing by and give you a hand Friday night. Pretty busy on Saturday though. I don't think they are terribly hard to do.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #3
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

Hey Dillon man! I have done multiple spring lifts on my ZJ... Id be down to help out... I even have an adjustably trackbar for sale for a ZJ... will it work in a TJ?

I got (4) 2 inch spacers aswell... taller?

At any rate, I can still give you a hand, Shouldnt take longer than a few hours.
What kind of spring compressors do you have?
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 06:23 PM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Start spraying all the bolts with PB Blaster. ESPECIALLY spray the upper rear shocks bolts. Go in through the top over between the frame and body and hit them. They have a tendency to break off and are hard to deal with if they do.
I have Pro Comp 4" springs and MX6 shocks - have had them for almost 4 years now with no complaints. The MX6's are meant to be mounted can-up.
Jim

Unread 09-05-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Neil, I would greatly appreciate the help. I think I will just go to checker or autozone or something and rent a compressor. I don't think I want to go any taller cause I would have to lower my transfer case. With the 3/4 inch spacers up front, it should be a 2.25 inch spring lift and I wouldn't want to go any taller without lowering the t case, but I do have motor mount lift to compensate for that some as well. I think I will start PB'ing tonite. I think I will start dissassembling on friday around 2pm so if you and/or newracer would like to help, feel free to stop by at any point. My address is 2611 Stanford Road. It is close to Drake and College. If anyone has any tips for me, feel free to give em. I don't really have any special tools or air tools or anything, just standard wrenches and sockets, so if anyone thinks of anything else I need, let me know.
Otisdog, I've heard nothing but good things about the MX-6's so I'm looking forward to getting them on. My lift only came with two new bar pins, how many do I need total? Will I have to reuse some and is that ok?

One last question of opinion, I do have a garage albeit not a very big one. My 68 Mustang is currently residing in there but could be easily moved for the Jeep to be worked on in there but I have a feeling it would be a little cramped. So should I do the lift in the garage and be cramped, or have a little more stretching room and do it in the driveway?
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
FortCollinsZJ
1993 ZJ 

oh man if you rent a compressor it will go sooo much faster... I just use the manual harbor freight allthread and hook compressors.. dangerous and tireing.
FortCollinsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM   #7
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

Don't rent a regular spring compresser...rent a STRUT spring compresser!
Regular spring compressers work on the inside of the coil...don't work with the bumpstops in there. Strut compressers work on the outside.

If there's an Advance Auto Parts up there, they will loan you the tool (you have to put a deposit on it, then you get it all back when returned).
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Autozone also does free rental with deposit. I'll try to stop by after work and see what's going on.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So I got some strut compressors and am gonna start here in a little while, feel free to come over or call if you need directions.
Dylan 970-227-6145
2611 Stanford Road
Fort Collins, CO
Unread 09-07-2007, 02:31 PM   #10
stangman68inftc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Taking a break right now, got the rear shocks off, sway bar disco'd, passenger spring out and new one in. May have to get someone to stand on my axle to get the driver side spring out though. Oh and I may need a smaller torque wrench.
Unread 09-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Jack up the opposite side of the axle. It helps droop it a bit.

***edited for clarity
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.