F150 instead of tj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > F150 instead of tj

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
fowfiddy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

F150 instead of tj

Coming to colorado in 3 weeks, staying in drake. Our plan is to hike and tour rmnp. Along with some easy 4wheels drive trails in the area. I was ok with this until I spent all morning looking at jeep pics in colorado! Now I'm thinking I am going to want my jeep out there. So I need advise from people that have been to the area, will I enjoy the area just as much in my f150 or will I wish I brought the jeep with us. Major issues with bringing the jeep are; doubles the fuel bill to and from Michigan,more stressful trip with a heavy trailer in tow. Thanks, Mike

fowfiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Cant comment on the trails in the northern part of the state in particular, but some trails a fullsized truck is fine, while others its too long and wide.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
ncb

I find my JK unlimited is a tight fit on the tight areas of most trails. Plan on lots of pin striping on the F150.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
churchofjt
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Depends how gnarly you want the trip to be. I'd suggest checking out http://www.traildamage.com and figuring out what trails you want to run. Based on that, decide if it's worth dealing with the jeep and trailer, or running easier trails (while still having fun!) but having a less stressful and expensive trip. Keep in mind that anything of high altitude is likely to still have snow on it in 3 weeks, which may make it either really hard, or impossible.
churchofjt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
fowfiddy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of the easier stuff anyhow, also bringing dirtbikes out to ride mx at a few tracks to the east. So I think the truck and bikes will be good. Not into pin striping the brand new f150!
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Make sure you head the red flag fire warnings in place here. Not sure if you are a smoker, but ciggy butts thrown out a window will kick up a nasty fire in a hurry right now.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #7
fowfiddy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Not a smoker, this applies to campfires I assume also. Any suggestions to destinations in the area. We have at train ride planned in Georgetown. I also have the funtrecs book for the area and plan on driving the old Fall River road and some of the storm mountain since we are staying near there. How much snow is on trail ridge?
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by fowfiddy
Thanks guys, I'm thinking of the easier stuff anyhow, also bringing dirtbikes out to ride mx at a few tracks to the east. So I think the truck and bikes will be good. Not into pin striping the brand new f150!
You should be fine but jeeps are always better. The easier trails will be fine and then take your bikes and have fun. No worries mate. Cheers
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

You will get pinstripes on a F150.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
Justin04Lj

Just tow the jeep down with the f150. Put the bikes in the back of the truck.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
fowfiddy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Are the trails open? Does anyone know anything about berthoud mx track? I'm planning on going there to ride and am wondering how the track is. Do they take care of it well, ie, watering and grooming
Unread 06-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
fowfiddy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wow we drove up storm mountain and were speechless. This is beautiful country. No jeep but I think we are in for a treat.
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:52 AM   #13
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Afternoons suck right now due to the smoke from the fires. Have fun, and be careful
Unread 06-24-2013, 06:57 AM   #14
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok
Afternoons suck right now due to the smoke from the fires. Have fun, and be careful
Yes to much smoke
caiha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.