Driveline question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Driveline question

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 06-25-2007, 09:06 AM   #31
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrisden
I still think that you are looking the rear drive shaft being the majority of the problem. I would take a torque wrench (yes i a torque wrench) and torque the wheels to spec. Believe it or not this could make a difference. But as far as your vibe in the rear you will have to step to a slip yoke and double cardon to fix this beyond where it is at as far as I know.

Later,

Don

I thought that too- already done. I rotated the tires around again and torqued it all down, still there. It might be something that is just the rear shaft angle that only an SYE will fix. But if it comes down to that, the TJ is going to get one first.

REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #32
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Ok, I'm about at my wits' end with the XJ. I've dropped the t-case and shimmed the rear axle in order to get a better pinion and driveshaft angle on the Jeep. I've rotated, balanced and even swapped sets of tires. I've pulled the front shaft, and tried to pull the rear and drive around (harder to do with the rear since no SYE). I've tightened every suspension bolt there is. I've even checked out the brakes to see if they were round. Still, the vibration persists.

I've put the rear end only up in the air, and put it into drive. The vibration is still present there, which leads me to believe it can be only a few things- the t-case, the driveshaft, the axle, and the tires. I gave it gas with both tires on and off, no change. That basically eliminates the tires. The u-joints are brand new, so that pretty much removes that. The driveshaft angle and pinion angle are much better now than they were, but still the vibe is there. It's flat out driving me insane.

None of this was present prior to this past winter- not even the slightest bit. Now it feels like the damn Jeep is going to shake itself apart. I just can't figure it out. Could I have a bent output shaft in the t-case, or a bent axle or axle shaft? If so, how would this have happened, as I've never wheeled it until just recently (it was all street driven). Is there something obvious I am missing? Yes, I know you are going to say "Get an SYE," but even without it, I can't figure out why the vibe would be there. I don't have one on the TJ, and those angles are far worse than the XJ, but it rides as smooth as a Cadillac. I want to blow the damn thing up...
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM   #33
ajbjeeper28
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i have had a vibration in my wrangler and i ignored it, big mastake, it broke my t-case driveshaft output cone right off, so my best solution to you is to get a slip yoke eliminator kit or a angle reduction kit to eliminate this problem again, and if you ever feel vibrations again check your rear driveshaft! makesure the bolts are on tight, and every thing looks ok! i found out my axle was alitle on the sloppy side and thats could be making your vibrations, take off your rear driveshaft from your rear axle yoke. shake the axles yoke if it has alot of play then its your axle, if it is pretty much solid with alitle play its fine! So check those if its not that then i would have to say its your driveshaft or t-case!!!!! did you get a sye kit for your yj?

Last edited by ajbjeeper28; 08-15-2007 at 09:38 AM..
ajbjeeper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #34
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
UPDATE:

Ok, I'm about at my wits' end with the XJ. I've dropped the t-case and shimmed the rear axle in order to get a better pinion and driveshaft angle on the Jeep. I've rotated, balanced and even swapped sets of tires. I've pulled the front shaft, and tried to pull the rear and drive around (harder to do with the rear since no SYE). I've tightened every suspension bolt there is. I've even checked out the brakes to see if they were round. Still, the vibration persists.

I've put the rear end only up in the air, and put it into drive. The vibration is still present there, which leads me to believe it can be only a few things- the t-case, the driveshaft, the axle, and the tires. I gave it gas with both tires on and off, no change. That basically eliminates the tires. The u-joints are brand new, so that pretty much removes that. The driveshaft angle and pinion angle are much better now than they were, but still the vibe is there. It's flat out driving me insane.

None of this was present prior to this past winter- not even the slightest bit. Now it feels like the damn Jeep is going to shake itself apart. I just can't figure it out. Could I have a bent output shaft in the t-case, or a bent axle or axle shaft? If so, how would this have happened, as I've never wheeled it until just recently (it was all street driven). Is there something obvious I am missing? Yes, I know you are going to say "Get an SYE," but even without it, I can't figure out why the vibe would be there. I don't have one on the TJ, and those angles are far worse than the XJ, but it rides as smooth as a Cadillac. I want to blow the damn thing up...
Bring that thing by house some night this week and lets take a look. Maybe something simple, but I would be more than willing to take a look. Let me know, maybe we could grill some burgers/brats if you want to bring Erin (hope thats right? ) along.

Later,

Don
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:48 AM   #35
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnrisden
Bring that thing by house some night this week and lets take a look. Maybe something simple, but I would be more than willing to take a look. Let me know, maybe we could grill some burgers/brats if you want to bring Erin (hope thats right? ) along.

Later,

Don

Sounds good Don. I will definately take you up on that. The more I think about it, the more I am thinking about my t-case and the output shaft/cone. I noticed that it was leaking some out of the cone, so that's leading me to believe that it might be bent a bit and causing it. I am going to take the XJ to work tomorrow and toss it on a lift and see if I can't see something else a little better up in the air.

(And yes, you were right- it is Erin. )
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #36
dnrisden

2003 TJ Wrangler 

best thing to do is run it on the rack and see what you get by removing different items. I have tall enough jack stands that we could run it sitting on the supsension and see what happens?

Let me know when you are going to do that and I could meet you there and help with that while I balance my tires?

Later,

Don
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #37
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think I may have FINALLY tracked down my vibe. With the Jeep up in the air, I was able to see it better than with just the rear up in the air. I'm pretty sure my axle shafts are bent. With the vehicle in gear (up in the air), you can see the drums gaining and losing clearance around the axle as it goes around, and you can see the tire actually going up and down as well. My guess is that with all the snow and ice this season, and the larger than stock tires, the Jeep hit a few potholes or ice chunks too fast, and bent the shafts a bit.

So now I need new shafts. Any body know anyone with some 8.25 27 spline shafts they want to get rid of?
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM   #38
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Time to upgrade to a Ford 9"!
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #39
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Time to upgrade to a Ford 9"!
I'm talking to one guy on CO4x4 about a D30/S35 combo he has for $300...the only prob is the front is a disconnect axle, so not sure what difference what will make to me. He also said he wasn't sure if the rear was 100% straight- he bent a shaft, but replaced it. In either case, if it's not too bad, it won't be much more than just new shafts (brand new that is), plus they are geared to 4.56 and the rear is locked. Might make an even better selling point later on.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #40
dnrisden

2003 TJ Wrangler 

That sweat! and sucks all at the same time. Glad you found the problem and an inexpensive solution. If you need help with the swap let me know, I will help if I can!?!

Later,

Don
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:08 AM   #41
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I hate this XJ. I just want to let everyone know. So I take it to work yesterday, pop it up on the lift, see the axle shafts are a little bent. No problem. Tech also points out that my front DS has a u-joint going out. I'm already aware of that, and am taking it in to get rebuilt this weekend. So I go home, get almost all the way home, and BOOM! The u-joint finally lets go. It didn't snap luckily, but it's making one hell of a noise, so I pull over. I see it's still connected, so I think I might be able to limp it home on the shoulder- nope. Decided I didn't want to mess anything more up on it.

So I pull over on I76, in my nice work clothes, and hop underneath and pull the front shaft out (after a few choice words and what not). So I go to pull away, jump back on the highway, and MY DAMN VIBE IS GONE!!!!!!!!! I don't know if it was a combo of things, but the damn XJ drives like brand new again. Now, this is what confuses me. I had pulled the front shaft previously and drove with it out, but I still had the vibe. I don't know if dropping the t-case and shimming the axle messed with anything else along the way, but I FINALLY have a smooth driving XJ again. Any ideas on why I would have had the vibe previously with the front DS out, but not now? EH, who cares. I'm just ecstatic the vibration is gone!
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:13 AM   #42
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Should have stripped down to yer skivvies to remove the DS

Glad to hear you got it "fixed"
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:35 AM   #43
dnrisden

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It is very likely that you had a vibe at both ends.
Unread 08-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #44
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Should have stripped down to yer skivvies to remove the DS

If I did that, then I'd have this wierd guy in a red WJ keep driving by, checking me out...I wasn't comfortable with that.

Although, I must say...I am pretty dead sexy in my Spiderman underoos.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:

Last edited by KUK9; 08-17-2007 at 10:23 AM..
Unread 08-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #45
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Glad to hear you finally got it figured out Josh! These Jeeps can be damn frustrating, that's for sure.
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.