Driveline question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Driveline question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-19-2007, 10:31 PM   #16
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I got a new CV joint my u joints were still good and a new yoke and balanced for 140. I don't know why you would have to pay any more than 25$ to have one balanced?

Unread 06-19-2007, 11:02 PM   #17
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Yank the rear Drive shaft out. Throw it into 4 high. You are not going to need to get it up to 70 to find out if your shake is there. You should be able to tell out in front of your house at 30-40 mph if that. I strongly suggest against taking it up on the highway with your stock T case. But it won't take much for you to tell if that fixed it or not.

Todd
Unread 06-20-2007, 08:35 AM   #18
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Ok well, a bit of an update. I drove it around a bit last night, and here's what I have. The vibe is a constant thing- no specific speed where it kicks on or off, but it is noticeable at about 20-25 and up. Below about 20, it's there, but very very faint. There is no difference between accel and decel- constantly there. Putiing it in to neutral while at speed did not help, so I think I can eliminate engine components factoring into it. I checked things underneath, and it all seems to be tight.

However, while driving some last night, I noticed that my steering wheel is shaking in my hand some. By the time I got back from the Rockies game last night, I was too tired to look again, but I think that might be a factor, so I will need to check all my front end components tonight for tightness...but is there anything else anyone can think of to check? I didn't get my DS pulled, so any balancing will have to wait until at least tomorrow.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #19
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing when the CV joint was bad. When I was under it checking the front drive shaft I had tuged on the rear shaft a little but not for long as I was sure it was up front because I could feel it in the steering wheel. When I put my jeep into N at a roll it was still there. Even at low speeds it was there but not as bad. If I'm wrong then never listen to me again but your deal sounds exactly like what mine was doing. You picked a good game to go to. Didn't they take it to the Yankees?
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:17 AM   #20
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

They ended up winning 3-1...was a good game. I'm trying to get tix to tomorrows game too, but I don't think I'll get them.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #21
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic TJ
That sounds EXACTLY like what mine was doing when the CV joint was bad. When I was under it checking the front drive shaft I had tuged on the rear shaft a little but not for long as I was sure it was up front because I could feel it in the steering wheel. When I put my jeep into N at a roll it was still there. Even at low speeds it was there but not as bad. If I'm wrong then never listen to me again but your deal sounds exactly like what mine was doing. You picked a good game to go to. Didn't they take it to the Yankees?

My problem is that I don't have a CV on the rear shaft- it's just straight u-joints (not even a DC joint- no SYE). I've replace both the rear u-joints already, but still have the problem. Unless I'm thinking of the wrong part that you are talking about anyway...

But in any case, I was thinking about it on the way in to work today, and I want to check the tightness of the trackbar up front as well. If that's going out, it might be causing some of it. I also want to play with the t-case drop some more, and see if I can't get a better angle on the rear shaft. What's going to piss me off the most is that the fix is going to be one of two things- either a super easy, super cheap thing that I completely overlooked, or something ungodly expensive that I'll need to sell my left leg for.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-20-2007, 03:28 PM   #22
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Can you take a picture of your rear drive shaft where it meets your t case for me.

[IMG][/IMG]
Unread 06-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #23
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

This isn't my vehicle, but the pic is the same:

I don't have a slip yoke eliminator, and as such, I don't have a double u-joint (double cardon) joint at the end of the shaft/t-case. The driveshaft itself has the yoke going straight into the t-case, and joining the rest of the driveshaft with a single u-joint.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-23-2007, 05:35 PM   #24
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Update.

Ok, well, I got done messing with the t-case drop a little more- now it's sitting at about an inch drop. It definately helped the angle of the rear driveshaft, and it seems that vibe has gotten a little better. When at highway speeds, my teeth no longer chatter, but the vibe is still there. It seems to be more obvious at about 60mph (at least according to the speedo...it's probably closer to about 68-70). At lower speeds it is either not there, or has just been lightened so much that I don't feel it.

I am still feeling a shimmy in the steering wheel while driving though. While at speed, the steering wheel is shaking a bit in my hands...not a lot, but enough to let me know it's there. Could my rotors be so warped to cause this, or should I be looking elsewhere? The last time I checked the runout on my rotors it wasn't too bad, but this may have changed. The hub assemblies are both brand new, and everything is tight in the front end. I was thinking that perhaps a wheel might be bent or out of balance, but it didn't do this a month ago when I had to put the 33's on the TJ for an e-test. I'm flat out stumped. Any clues for direction?
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #25
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

SS okay? How about the bushings in the control arms? Sounds like everything's nice and tight, so should be okay. How's the steering linkage look? No slop?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #26
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
SS okay? How about the bushings in the control arms? Sounds like everything's nice and tight, so should be okay. How's the steering linkage look? No slop?

I'm assuming by SS you meant steering stabilizer. And if that's the case, then yes. The stabilizer is new....maybe 6 months old at best. The bushings in the control arms aren't new, but they are still in good shape from what I can tell. There's no slop in the steering anywhere that I can tell though. Everything is tight, and when the wheel is turned, no clunks or anything that I can hear that would lead me to something being a little loose.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-23-2007, 09:51 PM   #27
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I think you're down to rotors then...they can be warped and have perfect runout
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2007, 09:09 PM   #28
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Only if it happens while braking would I suspect the rotors.

Rotate your wheels and see if the vibration moves.
Unread 06-25-2007, 08:41 AM   #29
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
Update.

Ok, well, I got done messing with the t-case drop a little more- now it's sitting at about an inch drop. It definately helped the angle of the rear driveshaft, and it seems that vibe has gotten a little better. When at highway speeds, my teeth no longer chatter, but the vibe is still there. It seems to be more obvious at about 60mph (at least according to the speedo...it's probably closer to about 68-70). At lower speeds it is either not there, or has just been lightened so much that I don't feel it.

I am still feeling a shimmy in the steering wheel while driving though. While at speed, the steering wheel is shaking a bit in my hands...not a lot, but enough to let me know it's there. Could my rotors be so warped to cause this, or should I be looking elsewhere? The last time I checked the runout on my rotors it wasn't too bad, but this may have changed. The hub assemblies are both brand new, and everything is tight in the front end. I was thinking that perhaps a wheel might be bent or out of balance, but it didn't do this a month ago when I had to put the 33's on the TJ for an e-test. I'm flat out stumped. Any clues for direction?
I still think that you are looking the rear drive shaft being the majority of the problem. I would take a torque wrench (yes i a torque wrench) and torque the wheels to spec. Believe it or not this could make a difference. But as far as your vibe in the rear you will have to step to a slip yoke and double cardon to fix this beyond where it is at as far as I know.

Later,

Don
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 09:37 AM   #30
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Racer

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUK9
I've noticed it as low as about 30mph because I'm in it all the time, but other people can notice it at about 45mph, and it gets worst at above 55mph. It's a constant vibe, not a shake or DW. ??

My TJ had exactly what you are describing. No dw, just an annoying vibe. My constant vibe was from 20-30mph, but it seemed to go away after 30mph though.

Simple solution, SYE + DC driveshaft. It solved all of problems.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.