Driveline question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Driveline question

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 06-19-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Driveline question

Ok all, here's the deal. My XJ is pissing me right the hell off. When I bought it, it was stock, so it drove just fine. After about a year, maybe a year and a half I lifted it to the point where it's at now- roughly 4" and put on a set of 31" BFG A/T's. There were no problems, no vibes at all to speak of. I drove it like this for about a year, until I came across a set of BFG M/T's. Again, no problems, no vibes. Until this winter, that is.

During all the storms this winter, I had the girlie driving the XJ and I drove the TJ. (This was problem #1 ) Then I noticed there was a vibe in the vehicle. With all the roads getting trashed, I figured it was the tires out of balance, so I had them rebalanced, but it was still there. I noticed that one of the tires was wearing really bad, so I figured that may have been part of it, so I also had it aligned. I replace all the u-joints in the driveshafts. I also pulled the front DS to see if that was the culprit- still there. I had also heard a growling from the front end, and traced that to the wheel bearings/hub assemblies, so I replaced both of those (those damn things are expensive too...). Vibe is still there. Since then, I have made sure everything was tight again, and also threw on my 33's, but I still have the vibe. With the 33's, the vibe is significantly less, but still pretty bad.

I have replaced everything I can think of, and I still have a vibe. The vibe is constant with vehicle speed- does not matter with engine RPM. I've noticed it as low as about 30mph because I'm in it all the time, but other people can notice it at about 45mph, and it gets worst at above 55mph. It's a constant vibe, not a shake or DW. So here's what I am thinking. The only thing I have left that I can think of is to have the driveshafts balanced. This is the only thing I can think of that would still be causing this, and I would have done it sooner, but couldn't figure out how they would have been out of balance- the XJ's gone through no wheeling at all. I know Arlo and I think one other person has had their DS's out of balance...does what I describe sound similar to what you had experienced? I'm at my whits end trying to figure this out, and I've gone through just about everything I can think of. I was thinking it might have been pinion angle with the lift, but I would have had vibes from the get go, and I didn't. Any ideas??

REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:19 AM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Pinion nut torqued right? One of the ZJs this weekend that spun his driveshaft on a rock and snapped it had a growl on decel (a little different than what you have, but still). Quick re-torque on the pinion stopped the growl right quick.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Does it change depending on whether you're acceleration, decelerating, or going a constant speed?

Checked the u-joints on the front axle shafts?

My front DS was out of balance and notable above anything over 55mph...you pulled the front DS so you suspect the rear DS now?

For it to vibrate out 30mph it would have to be noticably bent or have thrown a big weight. Give it a visual inspection, neutral w/rear end lifted and give it a spin.
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:32 AM   #4
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hope this is your problem. When I bought my jeep it drove great. Then after about 2 days it started this shake. I could have swarn it was from the front end. I had several people come over to the house and look at it. I pulled the front drive shaft and still had the problem. Then......I listed some humvee wheels and tires on pirate. A guy who owns a 4wd shop came to look a them and buy them. I told him I would take 50$ off of the tires/wheels if he could tell me what was wrong with my jeep. Keep in mind I knew the problem was from the front. I had put it up on jack stands to see if it was something I could hear. Pulled the front drive shaft. Long story short it was my rear CV joint or for other is the u joint. I had no clue that a rear cv joint would make the front end feel like it was having problems. I pulled the rear drive shaft and put the atlas into 4 high on the front and instant fix. I took the rear shaft down and had the CV joint and yoke replaced. Come to find out the 4 bolts that were on the rear yoke that connects to the t case were about 1/4" to long. They were slightly hiting the yoke with each turn which knocked the cv joint all to hell. I'm not saying the bolts being to long is your problem but I would take a good hard look at your rear drive shaft as all of the drive lines are connected through you t case and your vibes are going to be in the front where you feel it when you steer etc. Never in a million years could you have told me it was a rear cv joint. I was sold on the fact the problem was up front. It only takes about 2 min. to yank the rear shaft. Do that and see if your problem goes away. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Todd
Unread 06-19-2007, 09:33 AM   #5
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If what I posted above doesn't work then answer the question below for me.

Lets say you are going 40 mph down the road and you kick it into Neutral. Does it still do it?
Unread 06-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The vibe is speed induced, constant speed. It doesn't matter on accel or decel- it's still there (at least the last time I drove it anyways). I did check the front axle u-joints, and they seem to still be ok. I'd like to replace them still, but haven't had a ton of time.

Toxic- Thanks. I think my situation is similar, as I was pretty sure it was the front end, but everything I replaced didn't do anything to it, which leads me into the rear. I drove the TJ today, so I can't drive the XJ around today to get a better feel for the vibe until I get home.

I think I will first put the back end up in the air and spin the tires and see if there's anything visible that I can see binding or hitting, or if I hear anything. I'm think I'm going to take in both of the driveshafts to get them balanced tomorrow. At the very least, I'm going to do the rear. Before I pull anything, I'll drive it around some more and get a better idea of the current situation of the vibe after all the changes. I only drove it for about 5-10 minutes last night, mostly at highway speeds. I will drive it more and see what it does at other speeds.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-19-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
TrailWorthyFab
TrailWorthyFab.com

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Small suggestion. If you have put all the time into the front and it is still there then pull the rear drive shaft. I waited to long to find out what it was and now I'm going to have to replace a seal as it has developed a leak on my rear currie 44. Not bad but it wasn't there before I decided (If I drive this long enough I'll figure out what it is). That plan didn't work for me and I don't want you to be in the same boat if you can avoid it.

Todd
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #8
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Do you have a SYE Josh?
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Do you have a SYE Josh?

Negative, but I do have a TC drop of about an inch.

I want to pull the rear DS and drive it and see if it's still there, but I don't know how to go about doing it since all the fluid would leak out. Plus I'm not a big fan of getting up to highway speeds in 4WD with just the front DS attached. Any suggestions?
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Yeah that is why I asked if you have a SYE - eliminates the ability to really test out just the rear drive shaft being removed.
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How much did it cost you to get your DS re-balanced? I think I might pull the rear and take it in tomorrow depending on the cost.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Cost me ~$350, I bought a new double cardan drive shaft to replace the CV drive shaft
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Oh, and I think a balancing costs easily less then $50 since all they do is spin it and put weights on it.
Unread 06-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #14
REDLYNER
Mall Crawling Race Rig

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
Oh, and I think a balancing costs easily less then $50 since all they do is spin it and put weights on it.

I have heard $100 for driveshaft balancing. Maybe call the DS Doctors with the issue.
REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #15
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Unless you have a special drive shaft that is set up differently, for $100 I would visit a junk yard and pick up one there for less then that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.