DIY auto repair shop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > DIY auto repair shop

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
jeepndon
2004 TJ Wrangler 

DIY auto repair shop

I wanted to let everyone know I just checked out this place in Westminster, Co They rent out full size service bays with Lift, Full set of tools like 500 pieces, Air Gun, Air rachet everything you need. Its Clean and professional there are Mechanics there if you need them. There basic rate for DIY is $25 an hour, thats cheap!

Here is the website I know I will be using them from now on hate crawling under the jeep.
Check them out Great shop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rG5Z6bYgo2M

http://www.diyautorepairshops.com/index.html

jeepndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #2
The_Eng
2002 WJ 

It's definitely a cool idea. Especially for guys that don't have a place to work or don't have the tools.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #272
Tim@Northridge4x4.com
The_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #3
LaddieHanus
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A friend told me about it when he needed to work on his truck. I have been wanting to check it out. If someone has been there do they have a decent transmission jack? I need to replace the clutch in my Cummins powered truck and its a heavy six speed. Be nice to do it on their lift instead of jackstands in the driveway.

97 TJ Sahara
89 YJ
2000 Dodge/Cummins Lance Camper
2004 GC Limited (Wife Jeep)
LaddieHanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Never seen too many of these places last, partially due to liability. For the guy who knows what he is doing, its great, though I'd use my own tools over theirs. For the guy who is clueless, he will only make life rougher on his wallet.
streetglideok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Never seen too many of these places last, partially due to liability. For the guy who knows what he is doing, its great, though I'd use my own tools over theirs. For the guy who is clueless, he will only make life rougher on his wallet.
I to am interested in the liability issue no doubt you have to sign a waver (fine with me) but i don't want to go in there and listen to them yell at me at every turn of the wrench.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #6
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrboarder27 View Post
I to am interested in the liability issue no doubt you have to sign a waver (fine with me) but i don't want to go in there and listen to them yell at me at every turn of the wrench.
I do that already with some of the chumps I work with, and they are supposed to be professionals,lol
Unread 06-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Bigwheelz
2000 WJ 

Its a pretty cool place, hell the 25$ to use the pneumatic tools is worth it if you don't have any lol. yes you sign a waiver(tho i didn't read it :/) overall decent experience, was only there for an hour for front cv axle replace(didn't have 36mm socket and figured id give this place a try to test the waters so to speak). would recommend the diy and diyw/assistance. not sure on them doing it yet haven't had to do anything that requires it.
Bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
wxmanWJ
2000 WJ 

Nice. Glad to hear positive things about this place. I am doing assisted repair on Saturday to replace my front CV axles. I am a n00b to the DIY scene so a little guidance won't hurt. Arlos thread about the axle replacements though should certainly make sure the process goes smoothly!
Unread 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Bigwheelz
2000 WJ 

not that hard but good luck! they are very helpful
Bigwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Texanav8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yep, used them right before I sold the Camry to replace the front axle - it was easier to replace the whole thing than try to just do the boot :/

I did it on my own, but the guys were able to answer an occasional question or provide insight into a 'minor holdup' I was experiencing. Turns out whacking it really hard with a bigger hammer actually worked

Good facility and crew.
Texanav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
Ted15

2010 KK Liberty 

We had those on the base when I was in the Navy. I used to go there for everything, it was great. I've always wanted one near me but haven't heard of one anywhere else till now. Hmmmm, wonder what it would take to open one.
2010 Liberty KK Sport, deep water blue, weathertech in channel vent visors, weathertech digital floor mats, Detoures backbone winch mount w/smittybilt XRC 10 comp winch, rigid industries dually led lights on smittybilt fairhead mount, Rocklizard skink supersliders and Gecko safari rack, cobra cb w/48" firestick antenna, general grabber at2 245/75-16, OME heavy duty springs, OME shocks, about 3" - 3 1/2" of lift, Detoures Knucklebone spare tire and Jerry can mount, mopar skids, class 3 hitch w/7 pin wire harness, headlight covers, 4.10's and Detroit TruTracs F&R
Ted15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Jrboarder27
2000 WJ 

A garage and a good lawyer.
Jrboarder27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
dukeryder
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Never seen too many of these places last, partially due to liability...
What's the difference in liability between this and a U-Pull it junkyard? I see a lot more safety hazards in a junkyard than in shop.

I'm willing to bet poor business models are to blame more of the time than not. My buddy and I thought this would be a great idea 15-20 years ago when we were in High School and couldn't afford real tools to work on our junk. In college I found out these existed in other parts of the country and even at one time existed in my neck of the woods started by the guys from Car Talk (Hacker's Haven in Cambridge MA in the early 70s).

Since the flooding I've been stuck living in a Hotel and I might take my Subaru down there so I can fix all of its' oil leaks. Kinda need a welder for my upcoming YJ mods....
dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #14
texlurch
2002 WJ 

FYI if anyone needs help or tools I have a good assortment and a 2 car garage. I work overseas 28/28 so just holler; If I am home I can usually lend a hand.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #15
streetglideok
Web Wheeler
2005 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeryder View Post
What's the difference in liability between this and a U-Pull it junkyard? I see a lot more safety hazards in a junkyard than in shop.

I'm willing to bet poor business models are to blame more of the time than not. My buddy and I thought this would be a great idea 15-20 years ago when we were in High School and couldn't afford real tools to work on our junk. In college I found out these existed in other parts of the country and even at one time existed in my neck of the woods started by the guys from Car Talk (Hacker's Haven in Cambridge MA in the early 70s).

Since the flooding I've been stuck living in a Hotel and I might take my Subaru down there so I can fix all of its' oil leaks. Kinda need a welder for my upcoming YJ mods....
Big difference. At salvage yards, before the car is put on the lot, all fluids are pulled, and no batteries in them anymore. It is also typically on the ground. At a repair shop, you have vehicles more often than not in the air, with fuel in the tank, 12volts in the wiring, and a small fortune in tools around it. In a junk yard you have a $500 junker next to another $500 junker. In the shop you have a $500 junker to a $80k Benz, $6000 lift, and $30k+ in tools easily. As a result there is a lot more liability risk. Also, now that you tell your business insurance about letting unskilled, untrained people use your equipment in your shop, they will cringe and pad your rates. If you have doubts, then you need to spend some time in the industry first and learn. The DIY shops are a neat idea, however they tend to create issues. Ask any technician that works in proximity to a military base that has a "hobby shop" on base. Junk gets towed in all the time that the GI's tried to fix themselves and ended up fubar'ing even worse.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.