Denver Area or Colorado Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Denver Area or Colorado Springs?

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
nwiTJdave

Denver Area or Colorado Springs?

Hi Everyone,
I have a year left in school and my wife and I are putting together a 10 year plan. I am not your typical college student as I am a bit older (will be 30 when I graduate, enlisted in the Marines after high school and have been on the 6 and a half year plan for college) when I graduate so for us (Wife and two daughters) night life is not a worry, we are more concerned about schools, crime rates, etc. My question is, where would you prefer to live, Denver area (Aurora, Columbine) or Colorado Springs? We both like out doors activities hence the attraction to Colorado. Thank you for any input.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #2
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Denver is a big city. Has big city entertainment and happenings but also traffic, parking and nasty cops and crime. Denver has crime. More than the national average in fact. The transient nature of the city, I think. The cops are mean and nasty too.
Beautiful city. 320 days a year of sun. More park acreage than any other city in America! More things to do outside than you can do. A lot of sports too.
The schools... Denver or the subs...?

The Springs, a smaller town, military town, or at least it was in past. Now Intel and such is there as well as a large military presence.
Still...I think of Colorado Springs as a military town.

Housing in both towns never took that hit from the banks. Home prices have been increasing steadily and now have started to zoom again. Both cities are a bastion of overpriced houses...
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Check out the Douglas County area. It's about 20ish minutes south of Denver. Nice housing, pretty much non existent crime, good schools...etc etc. I have been here about 20ish years and plan to keep my family (wife and 2 daughters) here indefinitely. Also it's great location wise. Away from the city, but close enough for the occasional night on the town. Short drive to the moutains/hundreds of trails.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Fozzybear42
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, springs is like a gigantic retirement community... I hate that place.
Fozzybear42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
Denver is a big city. Has big city entertainment and happenings but also traffic, parking and nasty cops and crime. Denver has crime. More than the national average in fact. The transient nature of the city, I think. The cops are mean and nasty too.
Beautiful city. 320 days a year of sun. More park acreage than any other city in America! More things to do outside than you can do. A lot of sports too.
The schools... Denver or the subs...?

The Springs, a smaller town, military town, or at least it was in past. Now Intel and such is there as well as a large military presence.
Still...I think of Colorado Springs as a military town.

Housing in both towns never took that hit from the banks. Home prices have been increasing steadily and now have started to zoom again. Both cities are a bastion of overpriced houses...
Thanks. Yea, we have thought the home values were surprisingly cheap considering they are both larger cities. Thanks for the info!

Unread 01-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
nwiTJdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzybear42 View Post
Check out the Douglas County area. It's about 20ish minutes south of Denver. Nice housing, pretty much non existent crime, good schools...etc etc. I have been here about 20ish years and plan to keep my family (wife and 2 daughters) here indefinitely. Also it's great location wise. Away from the city, but close enough for the occasional night on the town. Short drive to the moutains/hundreds of trails.
Will do, thanks for the tip!

Unread 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #7
xd1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Castle Rock is the spot, kind of in the middle between the springs and Denver. It has great schools. You don't want your kids to go to school in Denver no matter what. DPS is the most screwed up school district in the country.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1978
xd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #8
nwiTJdave

Yea, that's why we said a suburb of Denver. I have a friend who works as a teacher in Denver and she's just buying her time to move.

I will take a look in that area and see what kind of jobs are in that area. Thanks

Unread 01-10-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd1 View Post
Castle Rock is the spot, kind of in the middle between the springs and Denver. It has great schools. You don't want your kids to go to school in Denver no matter what. DPS is the most screwed up school district in the country.
Do you have kids? DCSD is going down the crapper, and fast...I don't recall the exact figure, but they had something like 300 teachers quit in the past year. In an economy that's this volatile, that takes a lot of faith to pull the plug like that. The schools are overrun with administrators, but not enough teachers. I'll be happy when my kids no longer attend any of the DC schools - considering I'm a DC product myself, it is very apparent that there has been a major change since then, and not in a good way.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
xd1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucca-man View Post
Do you have kids? DCSD is going down the crapper, and fast...I don't recall the exact figure, but they had something like 300 teachers quit in the past year. In an economy that's this volatile, that takes a lot of faith to pull the plug like that. The schools are overrun with administrators, but not enough teachers. I'll be happy when my kids no longer attend any of the DC schools - considering I'm a DC product myself, it is very apparent that there has been a major change since then, and not in a good way.
No I'm a teacher in DPS.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #1978
xd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #11
Yucca-man
2004 LJ Wrangler 

That works. Thanks.
Yucca-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
dave95_xj
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I live here in the springs. Its a nice place. Very good for close hiking and the like. I would haveto say almost anywhere there is hiking within 10 miles. Been here for 4 years going to school. I almost bought a house but I realized I wasn't ready. A 4 bedroom 2 car garage large sweeping stairway built in hottub smoker and BBQ under the wrap around deck. In a nice community tucked up in the hillside area. 275k. Schools... my little bro is in hs here. There is normal bad things that happen but I don't here about much bullying or the like. Cheyenne mountain high is a richer hs. My gfs mom works for elementary and she loves it. But ya I've never had issues with ppl or anything. The outdoors here is amazing though.
dave95_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
nwiTJdave

Cool, thanks for the info.

Unread 03-09-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I had to pick Denver or the Springs I'd definitly take the Springs. But like xd1 said Castle Rock is a nice area that I would pick over either of them. I dont think the schools are bad. Definitly some politics going on there right now but I wont delve into that unless asked specifically.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
jeep-newbie
2008 JK Wrangler 

Maybe take a peak a little North of Denver at some burbs like Arvada, Westminster or Broomfield. Easy commute to Denver or Boulder and the schools in Jefferson County seem pretty good. My eldest graduated HS and college here and my little one is excelling in 2nd grade. I'll sell you my house!!!! We want to move more into the mountains, (maybe Evergreen) but Westminster has been very good for us the past 11 yrs. No complaints.
jeep-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.