Colorado springs trails - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Colorado springs trails

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe ALL NEW Factor 55 ProLink Winch Shackle Mounts availabFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #16
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bseblfrk09
Eagle rock has some awesome scenery. It is up on gold camp road. If don't want to do the trail you can just drive gold camp road from the springs to the cripple creek area. Pretty nice drive.
Eagle rock is rated for experienced wheelers and I'm not. I'm still new. I tried Saran Wrap which goes into Eagle Rock and hot into a bind. My jeep got stuck in 4wd. I broke the shifter when I put it in 4L cause I was stuck on the side of the MTN facing down. Lol. Scare my family though.

caiha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #17
bseblfrk09
2013 JK Wrangler 

It does have a lot of bypasses though. My buddy made it through in a stock t100 with no issues. Like i said gold camp is an awesome drive in itself. Make a day of it. Take gold camp to cripple creek then take shelf to Canon city and back through pueblo. Lots of good scenic drives in the area however you want to do it. We are very lucky to live in this area.
bseblfrk09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhanes View Post
I've been going on old stage rd and old gold camp rd.
The ones I am talking about are out Hwy 24, past Divide.

They are easy enough unless it snows, with some fun little side trials here and there

I did see 35 degrees on my inclinemeter on a couple side hills tho..

It's mainly just the exploring and getting off the beaten path thing.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #383
texlurch is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Rampart Range Rd is far better than Gold Camp or Old Stage Rds IMHO. The camping is much cleaner and Mt. Herman is a fun road to go up. If you are going in from the Woodland park side, Take Hwy 24 to Woodland Park, then go North on 67 till you come to the Rainbow Falls Trail area (sign and dirt parking lot). There are a ton of trails for Newbs in that area and the scenery is pretty sweet.

The Gulches just north of Divide are nice too, and not hard.
Unread 05-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok
Rampart Range Rd is far better than Gold Camp or Old Stage Rds IMHO. The camping is much cleaner and Mt. Herman is a fun road to go up. If you are going in from the Woodland park side, Take Hwy 24 to Woodland Park, then go North on 67 till you come to the Rainbow Falls Trail area (sign and dirt parking lot). There are a ton of trails for Newbs in that area and the scenery is pretty sweet.

The Gulches just north of Divide are nice too, and not hard.
Thx for the info. I looked at the gulches and some others up there on trailhead damage and looks pretty easy and it says the scenery is excellent.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:20 PM   #21
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiha View Post
Thx for the info. I looked at the gulches and some others up there on trailhead damage and looks pretty easy and it says the scenery is excellent.
Trail damage is pretty much right on target regarding the gulches. Hackett Gulch has one rock section that can get your excitement up, but it looks a lot harder than it really is.

Longwater is a nice trail with some steep climbs and descents and the elevation is higher than either Hackett or Metberry.

Metberry is a really good trail for someone who hasn't wheeled much and wants to get out - some steep sections, but very easy and the one rock slab towards the bottom is steep, but no off camber, so its a point and shoot thing. Metberry has some of the best scenery to me and there's a great open place down at the bottom where you can go play in the river. Good camping spots down there as well.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #22
caiha

Quote:

Trail damage is pretty much right on target regarding the gulches. Hackett Gulch has one rock section that can get your excitement up, but it looks a lot harder than it really is.

Longwater is a nice trail with some steep climbs and descents and the elevation is higher than either Hackett or Metberry.

Metberry is a really good trail for someone who hasn't wheeled much and wants to get out - some steep sections, but very easy and the one rock slab towards the bottom is steep, but no off camber, so its a point and shoot thing. Metberry has some of the best scenery to me and there's a great open place down at the bottom where you can go play in the river. Good camping spots down there as well.
Is metberry marked with anything. I might go fond it tomorrow. Take the family out and have a day off the grid. Kinda.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Is metberry marked with anything. I might go fond it tomorrow. Take the family out and have a day off the grid. Kinda.
I know its FS 205, but I think Longwater is marked that way as well. If you go north on County Road 51 (Cedar Mountain Rd) out of Divide, you will pass Hackett Gulch (on the left) and there is definitely a sign for it) and then you will pass longwater Gulch (gate w/FS205 on it, also on the left) and then the last one is Metberry Gulch.

The trailhead coordinates on Traildamage are accurate, you can use it in Google Earth if you have it - if not, its a free download.

Have fun, I'm heading to Chinaman gulch in Buena Vista.
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:07 PM   #24
caiha

Quote:

I know its FS 205, but I think Longwater is marked that way as well. If you go north on County Road 51 (Cedar Mountain Rd) out of Divide, you will pass Hackett Gulch (on the left) and there is definitely a sign for it) and then you will pass longwater Gulch (gate w/FS205 on it, also on the left) and then the last one is Metberry Gulch.

The trailhead coordinates on Traildamage are accurate, you can use it in Google Earth if you have it - if not, its a free download.

Have fun, I'm heading to Chinaman gulch in Buena Vista.
Thx
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #25
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

so where did you end up going and how was it? Pictures or it didn't happen!
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #26
caiha

Quote:
so where did you end up going and how was it? Pictures or it didn't happen!
Didn't go. Family was sick.
Unread 05-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Didn't go. Family was sick.
If you want to go on May 25 I should be free....
Unread 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch

If you want to go on May 25 I should be free....
Where you going at?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #29
texlurch
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Where you going at?
Figured I would check out the Gulches mentioned above?
Unread 05-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #30
caiha

Quote:
Originally Posted by texlurch

Figured I would check out the Gulches mentioned above?
That's what I'm thinking as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.