Colorado Jeepers Unite!!! - Page 829 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Colorado Jeepers Unite!!!

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 10-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #12421
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Zj

Went up for a little day trip yesterday. My buddy has a stock Pathfinder so we chose easy trails outside of Boulder...Sugarloag Mountain and Silverthorne Trail. Very easy trails but a lot of fun. Tons of scenery but we were about a week late I think to see the leaves turn. There were actually a few spurs off the main trail that were a lot of fun and quite difficult. Great for a day trip, especially if you live in the area. It looked like there could be some decent camping in the area as well. Came across a little mud puddle which of course I had to splash through and then a cool picnic area with an old smoke stack, great place for lunch! There were even campground type grills if you wanted to cook up some hot food, would need to bring charcoal of course.
It was so nice to get out there at least one more time before the weather turns from fall to winter. Hopefully fall hangs on a bit longer and we get a chance to get out a few more times.

2012-10-14_12-46-13_358.jpg   2012-10-14_12-47-06_300.jpg   2012-10-14_14-15-33_174.jpg   2012-10-14_14-15-44_428.jpg   2012-10-14_15-07-27_804.jpg  

2012-10-14_15-01-53_504.jpg  
Coyn1324 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #12422
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

WOW.
That was quite a wind storm last night.
This is the house across the street.
A crab apple tree.

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2012, 05:32 PM   #12423
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Holy cow that's crazy. I know I had no power until like 5 last night and I didn't even see anything like that in my neighborhood. Sure was some crazy wind!
Unread 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #12424
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyn1324 View Post
Went up for a little day trip yesterday. My buddy has a stock Pathfinder so we chose easy trails outside of Boulder...Sugarloag Mountain and Silverthorne Trail. Very easy trails but a lot of fun. Tons of scenery but we were about a week late I think to see the leaves turn. There were actually a few spurs off the main trail that were a lot of fun and quite difficult. Great for a day trip, especially if you live in the area. It looked like there could be some decent camping in the area as well. Came across a little mud puddle which of course I had to splash through and then a cool picnic area with an old smoke stack, great place for lunch! There were even campground type grills if you wanted to cook up some hot food, would need to bring charcoal of course.
It was so nice to get out there at least one more time before the weather turns from fall to winter. Hopefully fall hangs on a bit longer and we get a chance to get out a few more times.
You actually ended up on Switzerland Trail - it has a (to me) very interesting history to it.

The chimney that still stands is what is left from an old building that used to be a dance house basically. The Switzerland trail itself was an old railroad (hence its mild grade the entire way) that was used to pick up gold and drop off supplies along its route. They found it to be more profitable to take people up for day trips to Glacier Lake (now privately owned by some middle easterners) and dancing/drinking at the building (with the chimney).

If you take Pennsylvania Gulch off of Switzerland Trail you'll end up next to (but can't see) Glacier Lake. Then if you continue it pops out on the Peak to Peak highway. There are several other off chutes in the area that are fun and some quite challenging (even for my Jeep). Steep, loose, flexy climbs.

You drove through the little town of Sunset and if you had driven East a bit you would have hit the town of Wallstreet. It has an old smelter right next to the road (can't miss it - it is huge) and has a sign explaining the smelting process and all of the awesomely dangerous chemicals they used so casually back in the day. Keep taking it East and you end up in 4 Mile Canyon and then on Canyon where you probably started your day.
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #12425
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Hey thanks for the awesome info! We were wondering what that chimney was a remnant of. I don't know why I wrote silverthorne trail, totally meant to say Switzerland trail...brain fart lol.
Those chutes off the main trail were pretty difficult. I was struggling a bit with all the loose soil because as you probably noticed, my tires suck, I made it up them though. I just really enjoyed the day and I'm sure we'll be back and try some of your directions!
'96ZJ-4.0L, 3.5" IRO suspension lift, RC Quick Discos, 31x10.50R15, 292,xxx miles, Colorado Jeep Club Member #1996
Unread 10-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #12426
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

An old counter-weight (filled with rocks). It had electricity run to it and a cable running down the hill side. I was never able to find what it attached to.

Unread 10-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #12427
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Switzerland Trail was the trail that forced Naturalhoosier (Nick) to make the jump to 31s

Blew 2 tires in a day if I remember correctly

That's a nice mild trail with some really fun spurs. Pennsylvania Gulch is fairly steep and rocky, definite Rocky Mountain Pinstripes. The trees are really tight.

That's a very scenic area.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2012, 07:08 PM   #12428
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Well dang it we missed Pennsylvania Gulch. It's awesome that we all get to share our stories with eachother and learn about all these cool places to go. Definitely going to have to go back to that area some time!
'96ZJ-4.0L, 3.5" IRO suspension lift, RC Quick Discos, 31x10.50R15, 292,xxx miles, Colorado Jeep Club Member #1996
Unread 11-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #12429
Jeepers21
2004 WJ 

Hey everyone. I'll be glad to go on some trails soon. My WJ is all stock right now. I plan to change that, just don't know how soon. I guess if anyone is looking for some light to medium trails, count me in.
Jeepers21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2012, 09:10 AM   #12430
xd1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would also Like to do some trails. 03 Rubicon with a 4 inch lift and 32's. I'm not looking for anything extreme.
xd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #12431
jeepnewbieRay
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hello every one im Ray a new jeep owner first jeep 92 jeep wrangler with a few mods and lots more to come bought this for a fun new toy just wanted to say hello
jeepnewbieRay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #12432
Krang
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hello, new jeep owner here with a recently acquired rubicon. A new world to me coming from modified turbo cars and or motorcycles.

Can anyone tell me what this rack is?

I thought it was for hauling kayaks, but it would only hold up one end.

Anyways, looking forward to making it into the mountains and exploring this year. HOpe to see some of you around.
Krang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #12433
kennethboyd
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Need some advice! I'm planning a trip from New Orleans to Salem, OR and will be going through Denver, I plan on spending 2 nights in the Boulder area and wanted to know what some good trails are around there. I'm not looking for anything too extreme as I will still need to drive another 1000+ miles. I'm looking for a fun, easy trail that I can do in 2WD (4.5" lift, flexes well, 30" A/T) and a place to camp. If anyone knows of a good place you can PM me or I'll watch this thread.

Thanks!!
kennethboyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #12434
kennethboyd
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethboyd View Post
Need some advice! I'm planning a trip from New Orleans to Salem, OR and will be going through Denver, I plan on spending 2 nights in the Boulder area and wanted to know what some good trails are around there. I'm not looking for anything too extreme as I will still need to drive another 1000+ miles. I'm looking for a fun, easy trail that I can do in 2WD (4.5" lift, flexes well, 30" A/T) and a place to camp. If anyone knows of a good place you can PM me or I'll watch this thread.

Thanks!!
It looks like the trail Coyn1324 did might be perfect! Sounds like you can go off the beaten path for a bit of a challenge and they have camping... I think I'll look into this. If anyone else has suggestions still let me know though!
kennethboyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #12435
Coyn1324
1996 ZJ 

Sugarloaf mtn and Switzerland Trail would be great for you. If I remember right Switzerland trail had some decent camping sites that you can just pull in and set up camp. Check out www.traildamage.com and search for those trails. Do a little research on the area and it will make your day more interesting. Have fun!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.