Colorado Jeepers Trail advisements - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Colorado Jeepers Trail advisements

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-25-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Colorado Jeepers Trail advisements

I'm not sure if the title is exactly what I am wanting it to mean, but it kinda gets the point across.

Anyway, I was browsing through Traildamage and 4x4 trails, and I was thinking of a couple things I would add to their sites that we might be able to do here. I was looking up Spring Creek, checking out pictures and videos, and was wondering what would be advised equipment to run the trail. I think with all our combined efforts and all the trails we've run either individually or with groups, this could be accomplished.

With as many people as this group is beginning to have, and with more new people (to the group, as well as to the 4-wheeling community as a whole), I was thinking that we could compile a running list that can be updated of trails, conditions, and recommended equipment to run it (with minimal damage). For example, I would rate Boulder Carnage a 5-6, with recommended 33" tires, and possibly one locker. IT IS ADVISED NOT TO RUN A STOCK FULL SIZE BRONCO UP CARNAGE AND EXPECT NO DAMAGE. Johnny Park I would say would be a 3-4, with 31" tires advised. This could be updated with the new trails as we run them. Stuff like that.

Basically, I was thinking of something that kind of combines traildamage & 4x4 trails' sites with first hand advisements of recommened rig requirements to run it. Any thoughts on this?

As multiple people rate this with different vehicles, we could have different model requirements/advisements as well. I'm thinking this because say a stock TJ can usually go more places than a stock ZJ or something (based off of tire size, flex capability, ground clearance, etc). We can also give an average thing as multiple people rate it if there are several advisements as to what is needed to run the trail cleanly.

REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
REDLYNER
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I got the following info when asking about the harder trails in CO. These were the top ten ranked and requirements to get through...

1 - Cactus Ridge 2 :35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
2 - Die Trying: 35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
3 (tie) - Independence/Patriot: 35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
3 (tie) - Carnage BV: 35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
5 - Calamity Canyon: 35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
6 - Billings Canyon: 33" tires, locked front and rear, winch
7 - 21 Road: 33" tires, locked at one axle, winch preferred - this trail is as hard as you make it depending on your level and ability.
8 - Topless: 35" tires, locked front and rear, winch
9 - Blanca Peak: 33" tires, locked at one axle but preferably both front and rear, winch
10 - Minesweeper: 33" tires, locked at one axle but preferably both front and rear, winch

Honestly, if you follow the trail damage ratings, I would say minimum vehicle mods for trails with ratings of: 1-3 = stocker friendly, ratings 4-6 require a lift + 31"s, and ratings of 7+ require 33"s and a locker.

Those would be the minimum suggestions.

REDLYNER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

The problem with the advisments is it doesn't take into account:
LWB vs SWB and driver skill. Cliffhanger for instance I was told to only run with 33's and at least one locker yet I am skilled enough to run it w/o either. Take a SWB vehicle up some of the walls my LWB does and they would flip backwards...
Unread 06-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #4
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I definately agree with you Arlo. That's why I was thinking we might be able to kind of divide it into a LWB/SWB thing- each vehicle will need something different. However, it still doesn't take into account driver ability. But I was thinking that with some of the newer guys/gals to the sport, it might help them pick their trails a little better as it suits their ability. For instance, if a trail is advised to have 35's and lockers vs. a trail that can be done stock, it might help the new people to pick a trail in a smarter fashion.

I was thinking that since we have run many trails between all of us, it might also help as we can give a personal opinion, since we didn't all start with modded rigs, we can give advice for trails as we all built up our rigs. For instance, some of the first trails I ever did was Slaughterhouse, LHC, MSV- easy enough trails, but has some harder parts. As my seat time increased and I got more familiar with the rig, and as it built up, I moved on to Carnage, Wheeler Lake, etc.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
BigDaveZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep
The problem with the advisments is it doesn't take into account:
LWB vs SWB and driver skill. Cliffhanger for instance I was told to only run with 33's and at least one locker but Dave was strong enough to just pull my Jeep up the hardest spot. Take a SWB vehicle up some of the walls my LWB does and they would flip backwards...

Fixed.
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Hahahahahaha, no one has a pic of that so I have NO idea what you're talking about And as I recall, I had to backup ~6" and bump up it anyways
Unread 07-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Moab is unique, in the wheeling world, and is hard to find equal in Colorado.
Colorado is about traction and clearence, and a swb is not a bad thing.
I think Moab might not be a good judge for traction however, as everyone has super traction, in fact lockers get in the way in Moab(too much traction and the tires cherp, and no steering). Moab is all about clearence, and wheelbase.
Big rock fields like Spring creek tend to be easier in a short wheelbase. Even Carnage(Boulder) eats lwb's up.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.