Colorado bound, hello from Texas! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Colorado bound, hello from Texas!

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-16-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
GDusek84

Colorado bound, hello from Texas!

Good morning all you Colorado locals, I'm here in Dallas, Tx and in a few short months I'll be making my way to Pagosa Springs, Co for a little vacation. I'm interested in renting a Jeep to take out on the trails. I'm really looking forward to this trip and it looks like I'll be arriving late August 4th and leaving early August 12th. I'm doing a little home work and I've found a few places that rent stock jeeps, but I'd like to try and find something a little more than stock.

I do have a little wheeling background, I've previous owned a 99 Sahara TJ with a small lift that I've taken out on some novice to intermediate trails here in the Dallas area. So I'm not totally new to wheeling.

Here's where I need your help...

Where can you recommend to rent a jeep from?
Does anyone rent jeeps with a small lift and bigger tires?
What trails would you take an appropriate rental jeep?
And last of all, who's local that would be willing to meet up and show a Texan around the trails?

Maybe someone's will to let me girlfriend and I ride along with them and I'll cover gas on the trail... who knows.

Come one, come all, lend me your knowledge.

-Greg-

GDusek84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

I live in Durango (~1 hr west of Pagosa) and wouldn't mind wheeling with you. I also am curious where people say to rent (I've only lived here a few months) as a friend is coming up from Denver and wants to rent a Jeep too. I know you can rent Jeeps in Silverton and Ouray...not sure about Pagosa.

In Ouray I saw some rental Jeeps that have some lift and prob 33s. That setup will get you far in the San Juans as the trails aren't too difficult.

I have heard that rental companies will let you take the Jeeps just about anywhere except Black Bear and Poughkeepsie Gulch.

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
GDusek84

Awesome! As I said, I'm wanting to do my homework about where to go and what trails to tackle. It's good to know that a small lift and 33's will get you far in the San Juans.

If you don't mind, grab the name of the jeep rental place, I'm curious to see who it is and what their rates are.

So far I've looked at Outlaw Tours jeep rentals, www.outlawtours.com/jeep_rental.html, Ouray Mountain Adventures http://www.ouraymountainadventures.com.
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
rballman
2007 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunately I dont remember any of the Jeep rental names, sorry. I am sure you can Google to see who has any.

As for trails, you can use this website to see what you are interested in:
http://www.traildamage.com/google_colorado.php

AS well as this website, the Charles Wells book is great:
http://www.funtreks.com/area-pages/c...city-telluride

Colorado Jeep Club member #2007

My JK Build Thread
rballman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
GDusek84

That second link is perfect!
Unread 04-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
Justin04Lj

Fun treks is an awesome trail book too. I own two copies.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.