CO Trails in a WK2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > CO Trails in a WK2

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doorsJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 08-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
turbospartan
2012 WK 

CO Trails in a WK2

I just recently bought a '12 WK2 and I'm looking to get off of the pavement. I have the AWCG which means I have the QTII (with 4-low) but I also have 20" wheels and do not have the skid plate package.

Basically I'm looking for something that will provide great views (McClellan / Argentine Pass) and some type of trail that a car couldn't get to (ie - not just a dirt road), but also nothing that is going to have me climbing rocks or requiring a ton more equipment (sliders, better suited wheels/tires, etc.). I plan to eventually add the skid plate package, but as of right now I don't have any.

Can anyone recommend some trails that are good for a "beginner" in a new vehicle? I've checked out Traildamage.com but I'm still looking for opinions. Even photos of your past trips (if applicable to what I stated above) would be appreciated.

turbospartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
gonwhln
2007 JK Wrangler 

Engineers pass
bill moore lake
fall river reservoir
gonwhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Did a small off-shoot trail off of Coffee Pot Road in Garfield, CO (east of Glenwood Springs). Found a couple of rock fields (nothing big) to climb over which was fun.

Wanted to get further up Coffee Pot Road to the area shown on Traildamage but it took too long to even get to where we turned around.

Where is a good place to cross a stream/water? Bill Moore Lake?
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
gonwhln
2007 JK Wrangler 

wheeler lake for water crossings or Jenny creek
gonwhln is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
WeBeCinYa

Would Grizzly Gulch Rd be a good beginner road?
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
turbospartan
2012 WK 

So I'm trying to determine something. Based on the Traildamage website, what should I expect a WK2 to handle easily on the "Low End Rating" scale?

Some of these are 4's and 5's on the Low end, and then I read reports from other people that say a stock WK2 would have some trouble and should require skid plates. But then I see other reports where it is still a 4, but somewhere else will say that it is possible in a stock SUV or even a AWD car.

For example, the Twin Cone trail is rated as a 5 Low to 6 High. This seems too much for a stock WK2, based on the photos and descriptions I could find. Would anyone agree? Or are there only a few tough parts (loose rock hill climb + a couple of rock fields) and the rest is pretty easy?

Hoping to see some Aspen foliage somewhere on a 4x4 road for some adventure. I do have 4-low, but do not have skid plates and I'm only running on the stock all-season 20's (Goodyear Fortera).
Unread 09-11-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
turbospartan
2012 WK 

EDIT: Digging deeper into the Twin Cone info, it looks a little too rough for what I'm looking to get into at this point. I see wranglers sitting on their rails on some of the rocks, etc. - not interested in anything that gnarly.

I guess what I'm looking for is a Level 2 or 3 trail that provides very little chance of getting stuck or damaging the vehicle. Oh, and Aspens.
Unread 09-11-2012, 02:29 PM   #8
skates04
2008 JK Wrangler 

Check out the trail that goes from Marble to the Crystal Mill... Should be just what you are looking for, Not something a car can make it up but your stock jeep should be fine, awesome scenery, and yes aspens followed up with the most photographed spot in Colorado the crystal mill... There are places to camp along the way but I would recommend the Bogan flats campground that is right on the crystal river.
Unread 09-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

I would check out Argentine, honestly a Subaru can make it up but not many people know about it.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Stay away from Twin Cone - you'll beat up your WK2 too much.

I would stay on 1-3's. There might be a 4 out there, but I wouldn't do it unless you had skids.
Unread 09-17-2012, 09:43 AM   #11
turbospartan
2012 WK 

Did Mill Creek Road in Vail yesterday. Fun trail, nothing that a WK2 couldn't handle. Aspens are peaking.

1.5 hours up and a little over an hour down (stopping for photos, etc.). Didn't make it all the way to the top, but stopped at the overlook which was at 11,387'.

(I posted a pic in WeBeCinYa's thread too):

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.