CDOT Info needed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > CDOT Info needed

ECGS JK Dana 60 Bolt In Rear DiffGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

CDOT Info needed

I did a google search and found nothing, went to the CDOT site and found nothing as well.

I am putting metal cloaks on my Jeep with 6" flares and need to know if that will suffice to get my Jeep inspected? Some states have laws about the fenders covering the tires. I don't plan on running anything larger than 12.5" diameter (currently 33's, going to 35's soon)

Thanks for the advice.

Unread 04-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Justin04Lj

I love living in Colorado springs. Have never once had to get a vehicle inspected and havent had to get an emission test in 10 years.
Justin04Lj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #3
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin04Lj View Post
I love living in Colorado springs. Have never once had to get a vehicle inspected and havent had to get an emission test in 10 years.
That's not what I'm reading... Also, had some guys say that depending on what county you live in, you can't have any tires bigger than 33" due to the testing stations.
Unread 04-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The only smog testing is the 5 county Denver Metro area. And there is NO safety inspection required ANYWHERE in Colorado.

Your concern with fender flairs is a state law...Full coverage is the law. We have no inspection, so you would be subject to the cops doing it. Some cops will write you a ticket some won't. Providing you make an effort to cover them. If you make no effort, have no flairs, you will get tickets randomly all the time.
jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
RDHouston
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by igrok View Post
That's not what I'm reading... Also, had some guys say that depending on what county you live in, you can't have any tires bigger than 33" due to the testing stations.
You can still have tires bigger than 33", you just have to put 33s on to test. 4x4 shops will rent them or borrow some. Only need rear axle.
" Insert really witty or insightful saying here. " - [COLOR="Red"][B]Red Jeep Club # 637[/B][/COLOR] - [B][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Colorado Jeep Club # 249[/COLOR][/B] - [URL="https://picasaweb.google.com/116230693616460044990/JeepAdventures?authuser=0&feat=directlink"][SIZE="4"]Lucy's Adventures[/SIZE][/URL]
RDHouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the information guys!
Unread 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #7
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster93 View Post
The only smog testing is the 5 county Denver Metro area.
If only that were true...Larimer and Weld counties (who had been exempt for a dozen years) were forced back in to emission testing a couple of years ago because Denver couldn't pass the EPA standards (and blamed it on smog migrating from Northern CO - proving that metro Denver really sucks?).

In a true Minority Report/thought crime scenario, the Democrat-controlled (at the time) state legislature decided Larimer & Weld would fail the standards at some point in the future - in spite of historical evidence to the contrary - and so removed their exemption...thanks so much!

p.s. all Envirotest regulations state that 34" is max tire height for their testing equipment - some test stations will measure the tire, some only use a conversion chart (usually erroneous) - if in doubt, I recommend using the driveby test stations well in advance of your renewal date.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2012, 05:03 AM   #8
igrok
2007 JK Wrangler 

thanks again for the info - I plan on staying away from Denver, except when the Broncos play!
Unread 04-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #9
lestatsghost
2004 WJ 

you will only be able to use the drive by tests after you have registered the vehicle in the state. The emission tests are good for 2 years your plate is only good for 1. On the second year of your emissions test you must pass by 2 stations but before you 2 months to your renewal i.e. renewal date of june your cut off is april. The information can be found at http://aircarecolorado.com/rapidscreen/faq/
lestatsghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #10
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I've actually had problems with my 33s at the Envirotest station at 52nd and Marshall in Arvada/Wheat Ridge. I had to run home and slap on my 31s in order to be able to test. That was the fastest tire swap I've ever done

I concur on the safety inspection. However, if you're coming in from another state, I think you have to have a VIN inspection by the state patrol, so fender coverage might be an issue if you have none whatsoever.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #11
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Emissions! Another reason to live in southern colorado! We don't have them.

As far as flairs and tires, it is city by city. My tires exceed the flair by 2" and I have not been warned, but a friend in Manitou got a ticket for 1" over.

Colorado does have safety inspections!! Just not in the same way other states do. Any officer can pull you over and do an inspection. Usually it is only in the cars they see as unsafe. During the inspection they write down everything that is wrong with the car. Each item is like a $15 ticket. Ask me how I know!! lol

The vin verification is just that. Usually some clerk at the sheriffs walks out looks at vin/title and signs paper. Haven't had an inspection yet from doing that.
Unread 05-05-2012, 01:11 PM   #12
lucky-13
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
Emissions! Another reason to live in southern colorado! We don't have them.
YET! I predict that eventually every county adjacent to I-25 from New Mexico to Wyoming will implement emissions testing.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #513
05 LJ Rubicon Sahara #787 : 6" Skyjacker Longarm Lift
07 WK Overland : It's all about the Hemi : XK/WK Owners Club Member #13
lucky-13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.