Camping near Ouray? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Camping near Ouray?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 08-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #1
Jeep4fn
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Camping near Ouray?

Hey All,
I've seen some great suggestions for other areas...here goes....... anyone have a good experience for camping near Ouray (I'm thinking south)?
We've stayed in the Amphitheatre CG; hoping to find a dispersed place for the small pop-up.
Backstory - My wife and I were in Ouray for the weekend.....10 minutes into Yankee boy trail DW asked "...now why are we going to South Dakota for vacation again?....." 2 minutes later we're trying to plan for a week long camping / jeeping trip south of Ouray ( we boondock infrequently and tow a small pop-up) and South Dakota is put off another year.....
Suggestions? Near Ophir?

Thanks!!

from last weekend....

Jeep4fn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lots of camping on HWY 550 south and west of Ouray.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
Firedog13
1997 TJ Wrangler 

We camped at 4J+1+1 a couple years back and enjoyed it. It's an in-town camp-site. They have primitive camping and full hook-up sites too. It's at the West end of (I believe) 6th street.
Unread 08-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.parks.state.co.us/parks/r...eParkHome.aspx

Clean, family friendly, Park Ranger patrolled. Nice facilities.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM   #5
h2ogun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedog13 View Post
We camped at 4J+1+1 a couple years back and enjoyed it. It's an in-town camp-site. They have primitive camping and full hook-up sites too. It's at the West end of (I believe) 6th street.
Have stayed at the 4J campground. It is good and the bath house is good too. It is also convenient to the Ouray main street and you can walk about anywhere in town. What I did not like was having to move every Wednesday. With a camp site, you have to break down everything. I think they do that so that no one gets too attached to the site.

Last week we stayed (camped) at the Ouray KOA. I though it was good. They hve two bath facilities. Where we camped, the facilities were non gender, if the door was open or not locked, you could use it. Each room was separate from the other. I though it was a good way to manage activity.
h2ogun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.