Camping Near Alpine Tunnel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Camping Near Alpine Tunnel?

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 06-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Camping Near Alpine Tunnel?

One of my stops on an upcoming trip to CO is to visit the Alpine Tunnel near St. Elmo. Anyone have any recommendations of places to camp in the area? I've noted some official campgrounds, but I prefer something that it takes a 4x4 to get to. (I grew up in CO, btw.)

Thanks!

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
PLAN D

PM sent
PLAN D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
bvjeep
1999 TJ Wrangler 

There is always Pomory Lake area by the Mary Murphy mine. There is Grizzly lake too. That is a bit harder to get to unless you are lifted and locked. These trails are both 4x4 trails for sure. One quick note for you though. Due to the drought, we are extremely dry here. There is a fire ban state wide. This means no camp fires what so ever. If it gets any dryer they might even enforce a stage 3 fire ban where alot of even out door propane stoves are banned. Make sure to find out the current fire restrictions for where ever you are going. The Chaffee County Sherrifs office phone number for the St Elmo area is 719-539-2596 They will have the most recent fire restriction information for you.

Thanks
BV Jeep
And yes bvjeep means Buena Vista which is very near St Elmo

Remember: It Aint Perdy Till It's Dirty!!!!!
Colorado Jeep Member #1999
bvjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.