Black bear pass - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Black bear pass

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-31-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
hw713713

Black bear pass

Guys/Gals,
I am planning a trip to Ouray, CO Aug 14-16 and wanted to see if anyone was going to be on the trails that day. I will be driving my 2011 rubicon up for the trip and wanted to get all the trails in. I was in Ouray 5 years back on ATV's but never got to do black bear pass in the jeep. I am looking forward to the trip and thought I would see if anyone was going to be in the area. Also reading reviews on this trail and it seems most guys are running 20-25 psi in their tires for these trails. Does that sound about right? Thanks again for all your help and advice.

hw713713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I air down my stock JK Rubi Unlimited to 15 lbs on most trails.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Agreed, 12-15PSI is what I'll keep my tires at for my entire stay in the San Juan area. Makes for comfy high speed trails
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
rouxbicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've run Black Bear twice in my stock '03 Rubicon. The first time the weather was dry, but I was running full street pressure (32-33 psi), and I experienced a little slippage descending the steps...raised the pucker factor a little.

The second time it was raining and the steps were wet, but I had listened to the "air-down" advocates, so I was at 14 psi and didn't slip a bit.
Unread 08-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Idared
1995 YJ Wrangler 

We air down to 10. Black Bear Would be scary at full pressure.. I ran it the first time in a full size k 2 blazer. Many years ago!! 18 years old, Boyfriend driving, its his rig... Full Tires.. We knew nothing!! Only thing that stopped us was the emergency brake.. Scared the Poo out of me .. Tried to get out several times. I Could not open the door on uphill side.. No place to stand on the road when it was on the downhill side.. Never again in a full size chevy!! My dad was LOL but glad to see us make it all the way down.
I have to attend Escalante (Dolores) days that weekend or would tag along. HAve Fun!!

As a matter of fact I do Jeep like a girl. :-)
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #635[/COLOR] Colorado Jeep Club #550
Idared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #6
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Depends on your tires, for stock the 12-15 is probably right on, for larger tires it can vary depending on the carcass stiffness. My 35" creepys perform well at 6-8, the 35" BFG/ATs like 12-14, the 31" BFG/ATs on the XJ like to be a bit higher.

C range tires will need a bit more pressure (usually) than D range with their stiffer sidewalls, E range belong on your truck not a trail.

Best bet is to drop them to the high range of suggested pressures and see if they wrap around the rocks well, if not drop them a bit. Rocks are rocks, the ones on BB can be a bit sharp, the pressures you run down in Tx will work just fine up here, the only difference is scenery and it probably will be wet.

Have fun, our club's BB work day is this Saturday, and we'll be running it backwards with a brother club from Montrose next week, love that trail.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten
'56CJ, '61 Wagon, '51 Pickup, '07 JK 4dr

daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
newracer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I thought there was not going to be a backwards run this year. I really want to do that.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't heard about the commercial (fee) backwards day, for this one both clubs have adopted the trail (we have the first half) and have special permission from the FS for the run.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 08-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Last I had heard, BB hadn't opened yet. I'm in Telluride three days a week. Am I wrong?
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:59 AM   #10
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Black Bear is open, has been for a couple of weeks. There is some night work road construction at the bottom on the Telluride side which closes it every night so if you get a late start you can't get off of it.

The FS site has a very poorly worded and misleading explanation on it.

There are some signs at the start explaining this, a quick glance as you pass and it's easy to focus on the "closed" word but it explains the hours etc. We're doing one of the club's workdays today if I can remember I'll snap a pic of the signs and post it so everyone has accurate information.

The FS site also shows Poughkeepsie as closed, they often keep it closed if very muddy just like some of the front range trails. If anyone runs it please keep your eyes out for what may be small easy to miss signs to that effect.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 08-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
daveshan
Feeding the money pits

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's the sign, Black Bear is open, pretty dry and just as pretty as ever. You can start BB as early at 8:30 or so and by the time you get to Telluride the work will be over.

And we spent part of the day moving rocks where some A**hat in a full size went around a snowbank and through an area that was pretty much mush, it's going to take YEARS for those tracks to go away.

I don't post pictures of off trail stuff online 'cause the greenies have been known to steal them and use against us but as you go by just look behind these to see what some idiot did.

'01 TJ Sahara
'98 XJ Sport
'00 XJ Wife's ride
Gone but not forgotten

Unread 08-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #12
hw713713

Thanks again guy/gals for all your advice. We are looking forward to the run.
hw713713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.