Aug 11, 1/2 marathon and stargazing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Aug 11, 1/2 marathon and stargazing

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-02-2007, 11:01 AM   #1
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Aug 11, 1/2 marathon and stargazing

Aug 11, we (charlie and me) are going to partisapate in the Idaho springs 1/2 marathon. Charlie will run in it and I will help out at the finish line, collecting shoe chips(this is how you are timed now-a-days, computer chips). 3000 plus folks will run the race.
Then we will set up camp somewhere near there, perhaps up Spring creek or Saxon/Lamartine area.

Then the cool part, at least to me...
We will set up the 2 telescopes.
1 telescope is an Orion 80mm apo short tube
1 telescope is a Celestron 8 inch Schmidt/Cassagrean computerized monster. Bairly fits in the jeep. It has all the bells and whistles, and can magnify to about 325x.. It follows the star as it moves across the sky, and can automaticly locate 200,000 sky objects. We can connect the Celestron to a laptop and follow the space station and other man made objects. We have a camera mount for it, which we really don't use as I want a CCD just for the telescope...some day...
The moon(which is bad for stargazing) will be new(gone) for the weekend, so there is a moonless sky to view. Idaho Springs is too close to Denver for a real dark sky but it is better than my backyard.

Anyone want to play with a neat toy?

jeepster93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Tom, Bridget is taking an astronomy class at Red Rocks, and I think she'd love to see the scopes. Not sure we'll be able to stay the night, but I think we can at least meet up with you wherever you're camping. Bridget would love it, and Tricia got a kick out of the DU observatory.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Bridget would love it, and Tricia got a kick out of the DU observatory.

I totally read that wrong and was about to ask you what she did to get kicked out. Then I re-read it again.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/adapt-die-kuk9s-stretch-tj-build-1160620
KUK9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Josh, what'd I tell you about drinking the Mopar throttle body cleaner? You're just supposed to sniff it!

Unread 08-02-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I knew I was forgetting something! But even still, with all that stuff I drink and sniff around here, I still don't have any brain damage-amage-amgae-anges-massd.

Ohh, look! A flying kitty cat!
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-02-2007, 12:51 PM   #6
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

No, that was a Cadillac

Unread 08-02-2007, 12:52 PM   #7
KUK9
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Either way, it still had a mullet.
REDLYNER Racing #4550

My Build Thread:
Unread 08-02-2007, 02:53 PM   #8
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

She will love it...
The telescopes are of good size and quality.
To have a computer control the finding, pointing, and tracking takes a huge amount of "work" out of it.
Used to be, one needed a two year degree just to point a telescope. RA, DEC, ALT, AZT, XYZ, constilations,...don't need to know any of it. Just look at a chart and, find an object, enter the name into the hand paddle and press enter...SWEET.
I needed to learn 2 constilations and like 5 star locations, to callabrate the mount. The computer even helps in this. This is to find true north. Some telescopes have a gps built into them, so this step isn't even done. Some call it cheating...I call it"telescoping for Dummies"
Unread 08-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
jeepster93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If anyone is interested in going...let me know, I will get you my cell number so we can make contact.

Jim we will try that spot you posted about, first, as the ones we looked at was too high in altitude to camp.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.