Got the rest of the welding finished up tonight and painted. Just have to remove that bolt and replace it...then swap in the front LCA's (6 bolts). That'll be the next step (next week unfortunantely) and the final day will be bending the rear UCA brackets open a bit as they are too tight and then installing those 4 arms (8 more bolts + 3 for a bracket).
Got the front LCA mounts cut off, painted, and then the new CA's all bolted up. I did it with the weight on the axle still so my caster angle should be the exact same as with my short arms on there.
I have pretty bad DW (Prior to LA's) and now with LA's it is still there, but more bearable. When removing my old CA's I noticed a few of the bolts were loose. I think DW's loosened them up
Ordered new TRE's last Friday and should be here Wednesday/Thursday. I am hoping they are what is causing the DW. When Terry was over a couple weeks ago we looked at them and noted some play in them. I think I'll do the OTK swap now as well.
Just have 2 more mounts to cut off in the rear, and bolt up the diff bracket for the new UCA's, remove the a-arm (should be fun since I think they are tapered bolts), and bolt up the 4 arms. I think it'll take a bit longer then the front - although the front only took 2.5 hours to bolt everything up. Going through a ton of sawzall blades on the mounts
All done...Just have things to button up like grease the rear joints, check for interference in the front (rear already done), check for vibrations from pinion angle (front should be ok, rear needs to be checked).
Where the A-arm used to be - no more
Oh yeah, in the front & rear I have to weld in the spacers (really kind of optional):
Here is the turn down. I want to move it a bit since it is blowing right on the joint, I'll point it down a bit more.
are you running a muffler, or is that turn-down directly after the cat?
Yes, for now. The UCA/LCA bracket makes it very difficult to fit a muffler in there. I will probably end up running a very small muffler like a cherry bomb...
Originally Posted by diverdude2890
i havent read the whole thread but it looks great, i dont know if you have already commented about this but your pinion angle looks quite aways off
It is pointed up somewhat. I didn't bother measuring what it was at before () but I don't think it is too far off. I'll find out tomorrow night after I replace the steering components (TRE/DLE) so I can drive faster then 30. Also remember I am a LWB so my pinion angles are a lot more tollerant then they are on a TJ...
Going up to Waldorf Ghost Town/Mine tomorrow with the GF and then over Argentine Pass and probably just back over 285 - unless there are some other easy trails on the way back (will look in a bit here)...
Finish everything up and test drove it. Everything looks to be working well
Biggest rock around me...I have 2-4 more inches of down travel I believe:
33's fitting in there perfectly:
Pre-Belly skid - very exposed:
Belly Skid all installed:
Tucked as tight as possible to the TC:
Complicated multi-piece belly skid. I did this so it is lighter if I ever have to take it off on the trail. The "main" piece is the one held on by two bolts in this picture. It has a lip coming out of it which the rear piece braces against and is notched for. Meaning that once the front/main piece is up, the rear one slides up into the notch and one side is held up to make installation easier.