Arlo's WJ Buildup thread - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Arlo's WJ Buildup thread

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-18-2008, 05:03 PM   #211
froggo27
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
Yeah uhm, power was out this morning and for some reason, most of the neighborhoods garage doors were open...odd!
hey, i already claimed..i mean sad, i dont know where you live before anything happeneed!!!

04 WJ Limited
My Trail Pics!!

froggo27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 09:18 PM   #212
theksmith
2003 WJ 

hey back on post #148 where you had 33's on 4.5" lift and no trimming except front bumpber - what size bumpstop extension where you running? thanks!

also can't wait to hear how the clayton works out for you, i just got mine installed and i've got a little shimmy to work out, let us know what you end up setting your angles at with the clayton.
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:37 PM   #213
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

theksmith: Just 2" bump stop extensions, but with my shock combo I was running, I was maxing out on compression ~2" before the bump stop took hold.

Claytons update:
I have a new found respect for those welding upside down...Hell keeping my head up was hard

Embaressed to post these welds so I won't show a close up of 2/3 of the sides (which I will be redoing possibly)...Had one side I was happy with. Only have half of it welded since I ran out of time tonight.

Biggest issue I had on the first 2 sides were getting the welder settings set up properly. Have it turned up pretty far since I am running .023 wire for this and I am used to .030 wire.

The rest will get messed with next week. Crossmember 3/4 installed:

My pseudo respectable side:

Criticism? Constructive or otherwise
Unread 06-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #214
froggo27
2004 WJ 

oh great welds Ryan, i hope you bring that welder on the trail....just in case some or all parts decide to fall off with the first flex...wait, nevermind, when they do it'll be a free for all for anybody that has a running WJ.

04 WJ Limited
My Trail Pics!!

froggo27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #215
dnrisden
Rise of the Silver Slinky

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Welding upside down is a real challenge. Before you tackle the rest you need to get some .030. You will get better welds and keep from burning the crap out of yourself. If you need a hand sometime let me know, I will be back in town on tuesday finally. Can't wait to see the rig wheeling with long arms.

03 Rubi w/5.5 LAs/35s/Armor/always growing.
dnrisden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #216
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Hey Don, I have .030 as well and normally use that, but was recommended a while ago to use .023 on the thinner sheet metal stuff - do you think I should switch back to .030? I am actually getting less splatter with the .023 and haven't burned myself once (surprisingly) compared to the splatter I sometimes get falling into my tennis shoes from the .030 stuff
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #217
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Well the crossmember is all welded up now.

These welds look flat, but they are actually pretty deep since they are filling up a 1/4" gap...finally getting the hang of welding upside down:

This is one of the ends I didn't like from my first try last week that I ground back down and rewelded. Half of it is welded waiting for it to cool:
Unread 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #218
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

My next step is going to be to remove my muffler and add a turn-down there. I'll get a more permenant solution later.

After that I need to trim a couple of the brackets from my sliders. I will be removing two bolt holes from each slider and I will just weld those in place once the frame rail supports are in place.

Once everything is removed & trimmed, I will place the frame rail support against the crossmember. There is a left and a right one. Each support has one square end which goes against the corssmember, and the other one is angled at ~7-8deg inward. This is so the rear LCA/UCA bracket gets angled properly for the UCA's since they are triangulated. This will be the hardest part since I want both sides to be at the same angle, AND for both to be pointing at the correct location.

I do have one snafu that I need to get taken care of and I will call Clayton tomorrow. The bracket which sits on top of the rear diff where the two UCA's come together is too small for the two joints to fit between the brackets. The joint is measing like 2.622" wide and the bracket is like 2.597" wide. Not something I think I can wack open but I'll try if Clayton tells me to try that I guess.
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:00 PM   #219
theksmith
2003 WJ 

i have my exhaust just hacked off after the cat right now as well. i think i know how i'm going to fit a new muffler and everthing in, but i'm interested in seeing how you do yours as well if you finish first.

also what are you planning to do for t-case skid, you going to modify the IRO one?

thanks
theksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #220
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I am thinking about either modifying the IRO one for now (cheaper) or making a belly skid and selling the IRO one...haven't decided yet. I'll make up my mind when I get the frame rail supports up.
Unread 06-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #221
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

I'm glad your thinking right Ryan. http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...hlight=warning
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #222
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Well I have 4/6ths of the welding done. The crossmember and frame stiffener/LCA bracket on the driver side are all welded up. Just have the frame stiffener/LCA bracket on the passanger side to weld. I wanted to get it done tonight but I realized that I made an awful lot of noise grinding and don't want to upset my neighbors.

I had to cut off part of the slider bracket. Here you can see it was cut off as well as the two holes where the slider used to mount to the frame:

Cut off my exhaust and installed a turn down (not pictured):

Mounted the rear LCA bracket on the driver side:

Mounted up the frame stiffener which also creates a subframe between the front crossmember/LCA mounts and the rear LCA/UCA mounts. It is stitch welded to the frame for 1-1.5" lengths every 6-8" or so.

And here is where I did a REALLY bone head mistake

Can you see what is wrong?

I welded it up there with the bolt already in the bracket. Not a big deal except the bolt wants to come out into the frame rail So I'll have a REALLY fun time getting a hacksaw in there to try and cut it off. Luckily those are my fuel lines running right next to the frame rail right there to make things easier for me. DOH!
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:31 PM   #223
CLNinja
1993 ZJ 

can you fit your grinder in there with a cutoff wheel? or is it too tight of a squeeze? have fun cutting that grade 8 bolt lol
[color="#003300"]Matt[/COLOR]
[color="white"][CENTER][size="1"]
[url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434081"][color="white"]Click Here For My Build Thread[/COLOR][/url]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][B]**September 2009 Grand Cherokee Of The Month**[/B]
[SIZE="2"][url="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123"][color="white"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #88[/COLOR][/url][/SIZE][/CENTER]
CLNinja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:32 PM   #224
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Too tight - way too tight.
Unread 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #225
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Make the expedition down to Edgewater and you can borrow my Sawzall Ryan. You might have to stop at sears to get some blades...a dozen would probably do it
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.