Anyone been up to Hancock Pass Tomichi pass area this year? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Anyone been up to Hancock Pass Tomichi pass area this year?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Anyone been up to Hancock Pass Tomichi pass area this year?

Anyone been up to the Hancock Pass Tomichi pass area this year? I have never been up that was and was thinking about it this weekend, but curious on conditions,etc.

Unread 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

back in middle July we ran Hancock up to the tree line but snow on the edge stopped us in my stock xterra. a group of jeeps made it all the way. the snow has since melted and is open for all rigs. was very rocky, more than i remember in the past. not sure on tomichi pass. try www.bushducks.com to see if its open
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
Gymguyjeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

We drove both of these passes last week. Tomichi is a great run beginning from Whitepine in the trees, going through a few creek crossings, then gaining elevation on a shelf road to the top of the pass. There is a great view of the southside of Hancock pass and the Brittle Silver basin from the top of Tomichi Pass. The northside of Tomichi Pass decending into the basin is a very narrow shelf road in which passing is impossible the whole way. Be sure that no one is coming up as you are going down. At the bottom of the Basin, there is an open mine that is great to explore. It goes in pretty far and divides into three horizontal shafts and still has the ore cart rails inside. The southside of Hancock Pass is easy and fun with lots of smooth areas of travel. The northside of Hancock Pass is very rocky and progress will be quite slow. You can do both passes with your Jeep.

1993 XJ Cherokee - 3" Lift, 31" tires
Previous Jeeps - 1981 CJ-5, 1985 CJ-7
Gymguyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #4
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. Anyone camped in this area at all? We'll be pulling our 1952 M100 trailer and camping someplace up there. I updated my profile, we recently added 3.5" lift and tires, bumpers, winch, so we should be good to go.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

if you go up there try hancock lakes and mary murphy mine trail.
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:13 PM   #6
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

What is the murphy mine trail? Haven't come across that option yet.
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Dino03TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

was planning on going to Williams Pass with the local group from Pueblo on Sunday, but it looks a little too easy and boring, are you guys gonna be out there sunday?

How you do Anything, is how you do Everything...
Dino03TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
What is the murphy mine trail? Haven't come across that option yet.
if your down on hancock towards st. elmo, right before you get to the main gravel road to go to st. elmo there are 2 trails on the right, one is mary murphy and im not sure what the other trai there is called.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.