Advice: Trails North of Steamboat Springs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South Central USA > Colorado Jeep Forum > Advice: Trails North of Steamboat Springs?

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 01-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #1
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Advice: Trails North of Steamboat Springs?

I'm currently planning a trip west for early August. My route for one includes from Hog Park (Wyoming) to Steamboat Springs down 550, and I'm thinking of camping for a night or two in the area and explore.

I don't plan on doing Ellis Jeep Trail, as I will either be on my own or will not have the proper assistance incase the trail is wet with its mud bogs, and I will be towing my trailer.

From what I've read it looks like the Elkhorn Moutain (508) is scenic and would offer awesome places to camp along it. Is anyone familiar with this trail? Someone on Traildamage mentioned that if it's wet or with snow, it could be tricky due to the climbs and on the west side descents. I don't know at that time of the summer if the trail could still have snow on it or wet areas? The only reports I've read are from mid-September.

Also, anything else to see in the area, or awesome places to camp?

Thanks...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer - Build

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2016, 06:08 AM   #2
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

You might do best by contacting the local forest service or visitor center in the area for information. They'd have most up-to-date information on what trails are open, closed for work or whatever reason, etc. It's always hit or miss though. I spoke with someone at the visitor center in Silverton last year, and so in June I headed there to do some wheeling. I wanted to hit Clear Lake north of Silverton, but it was only 'clear' for about 2-3 miles. The person I spoke with had told me it was clear to the top. So yeah, even with information directly from the locals it could be hit or miss. The forest service would probably be your best bet overall. They'll know what roads/trails are closed at the very least. Though if you go in August, I doubt anything will be closed due to snow.

At the very least, the forest service people would best know what's most advisable for someone traveling alone with at trailer.

It's a beautiful area. Good luck, and have fun!

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Thanks as that's good advice to check with a local ranger... I'll do so on the Wyoming side. Hopefully Elkhorn will be dry!

Last time I was in Utah in 2014, a lot of rain had gone through the state. One ranger I talked to, he first asked me what I was driving, but he still had his concerns with good reason due to what was normally a dry river crossing was not dry. I went and looked at the crossing and decided to make other plans! Then another guy in Moab, he told me that the trail I was interested in had water damage, and then concluded by saying, "You do realize it's a Jeep trail, right?" I left out of the conversation about the trailer but had no problems at all towing it.

I grew up in Fort Collins, btw. Now every other year I get to cram in what I can into a two week trip back home! I have to make it count...

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited

Unread 01-29-2016, 11:08 PM   #4
SnowLeopard
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogie View Post
^Thanks as that's good advice to check with a local ranger... I'll do so on the Wyoming side. Hopefully Elkhorn will be dry!

Last time I was in Utah in 2014, a lot of rain had gone through the state. One ranger I talked to, he first asked me what I was driving, but he still had his concerns with good reason due to what was normally a dry river crossing was not dry. I went and looked at the crossing and decided to make other plans! Then another guy in Moab, he told me that the trail I was interested in had water damage, and then concluded by saying, "You do realize it's a Jeep trail, right?" I left out of the conversation about the trailer but had no problems at all towing it.

I grew up in Fort Collins, btw. Now every other year I get to cram in what I can into a two week trip back home! I have to make it count...
I wish you a great trip then. I'm originally from Texas and used to always try to get up here a few times a year. It's a hard life though. People here don't think of it being expensive, but heavens, it's insane. I might end up back in Texas before all is said and done. In which case I'll be in the same boat as you. Back to visiting when I can and making the most of it.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
SnowLeopard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #5
grogie

2006 TJ Wrangler 

^Yes, Colorado has gotten expensive and has grown a lot. I’m always amazed how the front range has filled in like it’s becoming Southern California. When I was a kid in the 70s, my dad almost moved us to Ouray back when it was just a bunch of hippies living there and was cheap. (I wish he had!) Realestate $$$ sure go a lot further here in the midwest. Of course we don’t have the Rockies and the endless miles of Jeep trails… (sigh)

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport - Build
2004 KJ Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.