Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What's up with Black Hills Trails???

46K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  1longcj 
#1 ·
I'm going nuts trying to find trail maps and/or waypoints for the notable 4WD trails in South Dakota's Black Hills area (e.g., Hal Johns, Buzzworm, Knog, etc.). I'm aware of the Forest Service study and the alternatives they're considering for closing trails, and I have their Google Earth maps of the various options. Unfortunately, those maps list about a gillion roads roaming about the forest, labeled with only numbers, such as 264.A1, not names. Does anyone have a correlation between "named" trails and the Forest Service numbering system??

For Colorado, Utah, California, Arizona, maybe more, Charles Wells has outstanding trail books with maps, GPS waypoints, descriptions, etc. Does anything like that exist for SD?

If answers to all the above are "no", what's a visiting 4-wheeler supposed to do?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

#2 ·
the black hills guys are very protective of their trails. they would be happy to show you where things are if you hook up with them and wheel. i am unaware of any publishings of where the trails are. best way is to come out to the Dakota Territory Challenge and wheel the trails during the event and then you will learn first hand where the trails are. bh4wheelers.com will have the info on the challenge.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I don't know if you're one of those "protective" guys, but I don't believe they have the right to be. These are public lands and in the spirit of the 4x4 community, something as basic as trail locations should be shared.

#4 ·
i'm in the same boat as you. when we go over there we contact a local to guide us to the trails. the ones that we have been to we can find again but when we want to go to a new trail we go thru the channels to get there. just log onto bh4wheelers and ask question. someone will guide you in the right direction. they are all nice guys.

#5 ·
I'm from Rapid City (Black Hills). I am also a member of www.bh4wheelers.com
Your frustration is well-warranted in that is is hard to find trails, and even harder to find GPS coordinates of said trails. We (our club and other local clubs) are working hard with the Forest Service to generate a labelled trail map. This map is, however, slow to materialize.
We are in the process of submitting trail information to the FS. They then have to physically examine the trail and determine (amongst themselves) whether or not the trail can remain on the map.
Right now there are a LOT of trails in the Hills, however not all can be run legally. We locals are doing everything we can to salvage the trails we regularly run.

On another note: Out of towners often blast through the hills with no regards to the environment of private property. Most of our Forest Service Land is bordered by private land. That means getting to some trails requires permission from local land owners. If you're part of a local club, you know these people and all is well.

The Forest Service's "travel management plan" will be released later this year. This will include a numbered and well labelled trail map complete with minimum vehicle requirements to run said trails.

When you come (WHICH YOU SHOULD:thumbsup:) just look us up @ the forementioned website. We (I) would definetely be willing to guide you to the cool spots. Again, there really isn't a map I can give you,,,,or I would. So many of the trails are in isolated areas that unless you've been there, it's hard to describe how to reach the trail head.

Most all of the trails you have listed are in the "camp 5" area. Camp 5 road actually runs between Boulder Canyon Highway, and Galena Road. This road is all gravel and rock. Most of the cool trails are right along Camp 5 road.
Trails like Kong, Full Size, Hal Johns, etc are all in close proximity to Camp 5 road.
If you googlemap Camp 5 road, you can get an idea as to it's location.
Again, best advice is to track down a local. We can then give you much better information in regards to trail locations. Hell, we'll probably run the trails with you. We're always game for meeting new people and sharing the day on some great trails.

#7 ·
I'm from Rapid City (Black Hills). I am also a member of www.bh4wheelers.com
Your frustration is well-warranted in that is is hard to find trails, and even harder to find GPS coordinates of said trails. We (our club and other local clubs) are working hard with the Forest Service to generate a labelled trail map. This map is, however, slow to materialize.

---------------------------------
I want to thank you for taking the time to provide the detailed reply - it is very helpful and appreciated. Hopefully this situation will improve in the future, once the forest service finishes their analysis.

#11 ·
Jake is close to Bogus Jim Road
Iceman is close to Peidmont
I've never run Elbow Canyon

You have to actually go to the trail with someone who knows where it is. I've run Iceman countless times and couldn't give you "step by step" instructions on how to get there. Same hold true for Jake. I've run it many times, but couldn't tell you how to get there. I can get you damn close,,,but then you run the risk of running a trail that isn't really a trail. The Forest Service (and local offroad clubs) get grumpy about that.
Come to a meeting sometime.
Black Hills 4-Wheelers
Or, visit Black Hills Jeeps - Clubs

Get involved with one of the local clubs.

#12 ·
Don't you guys have any GPSs up there? Would be simple enough to share some waypoints instead of all this mystery.

#20 ·
-ryanstulc- I moved out here about a month ago and I have been wanting to join the bh4wheelers but I don't know where you guys meet. I know it is on tuesdays right? but where at? I would love to meet you guys and join up and learn some of the local trails but any info would help. Also is there membership fees? and what are to rig requirements? thanks for any info. I wanted to go to the Dakota challange but just found out when it was the day after is happened. I was very upset I missed it but be there next year for sure!

#24 ·
#25 ·
P.S. Also, by the looks of Camp Road 5 on Google Maps, it looks like it's mostly a dirt road with a lot of turns offs, and places to play with a Jeep or ATV. As far as only traveling on the main dirt road itself, could someone in a front wheel drive SUV follow a Jeep through?

Thanks...

#26 ·
HI! I just emailed your group about our non-profit group SD trip in June (10-16) 2018. We are looking for great trails, to meet up with your group and a guide. Currently cross referencing maps and looking for some insight. Check us out at WranglerRiders.com
PM and we can exchange contact info.
Connie - Coordinator of Chaos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.