Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

South Dakota Jeeps

22K views 54 replies 37 participants last post by  duffy50 
#1 · (Edited)
anyone fro the good ol 605(south dakota) in here?

#4 ·
I'm not sure what you mean by the "605" unless it's area code. I just moved to Yankton from Bakersfield if that's any help. My jeep is in the garage until I get more things unpacked. Come spring I will be looking for trails and places to shoot.

Mike

#14 ·
Don't plan on wheel' the cool spots like Hal Johns or any part of Camp 5 during the winter. These areas
actually are part of a "winter closure".
I'm on the board for one of our local clubs. It's called BH4WHEELERS.
I don't know if posting the website's link on this forum is OK or not,,,,,,but with a little creativity I'm sure you can figure it out.
As far as maps are concerned: Good luck. There are forest service maps which dictate where ORV travel is permitted, and what kind of vehicle. ie,,,jeep, quad, horse, hiking, bike, etc.
Finding the trails is tough, unless you've been there. The forest service maps are vague at best. And that's actually a good thing. We (our club and local wheelers) have lost some trails because of careless wheelers from outside of our community.

#16 ·
Not sure if it was your or another Black Hills area club I read about but it sounds like you guys have a pretty good working relationship with the forest service.:thumbsup:

Back in the 80's I did some rock climbing in the Black Hills and Devils Tower areas and fell in love the place. In fact I got in trouble for climbing on Teddy's face on Mt Rushmore. I got some close-up shots of Lincolns mole :rofl:.

There isn't any problem with listing your club here. In fact, if you contact the forum admin. they may create a sub-forum for your club. There are a few clubs listed just below the four-wheeling forum we are in right now.

I'd like to check out your club in case I go wheeling in the Black Hills sometime.

#17 ·
You should definetely make it over some weekend.
Club information is www.bh4wheelers.com

Just give us plenty of "heads-up" as to your plans, and I'm sure we can make a trail day. Almost every weekend
there is a group of people running the trails. Maybe not a "club run",,,,but some club members deciding on a last minute get-together.

Also, a few members of our club have XJ's, so you'll fit right in.

#18 ·
Thanks for the invite.

Just spent some time checking out pics from your site. You guys have a lot more challenging terrain than I thought. Looks like a good group of people also. I got a few giggles from Charlenes(?) Toyota with the Mary Kay camo paint:laugh:.

Hopefully I can make it over there this summer.

Later:wave:

#19 ·
i'm from sheridan, wy and i'd be interested in making a trip to the black hills and maybe bring a couple more jeepers in convoy if we can set up a date during the spring / summer. So keep me posted guys!

#22 ·
Are you originally from Yankton? I just moved to Yankton in December and I will be looking for trails as soon as it warms up. I have just started looking for jeep clubs in the area but have not found anything yet.

Mike

#21 ·
I grew up in Montrose (30mi west of Sioux Falls), went to college in Vermillion, and my dad has a cabin outside of Lead.

I am currently in Minneapolis but i make it back to SD a few times a year to hunt. Me and the misses are planning a camping/wheeling trip to the Hills this coming spring. I will for sure try and hook up with some of the BH4wheeler guys to help me find the trails.

I look forward to meeting y'all!

#24 ·
Hey guys. Whats up? Just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the Black Hills and want to get to know some other Jeepers around here. My lift is going on very soon, so she will be capable. I plan on going to Moab this summer with it, along with the Jamboree in Deadwood. If someone wants to pony up someday and show me some easy trails here in the Black Hills, I am more and willing to learn, as I have never really 4 wheeled before. I also work at a Jeep dealership, so if any of youse guys need parts you can only get here, I'll get them for you at cost. Let me know if any of you ever want to get together.:cheers2:

#35 ·
Hey!!

I am nuB to the site and I am in the 57703 area and I recently hauled my 93 YJ from the southland of florida where i am originially from and i was wondering wur there are places to ride that is open to jeeps??? i have ridden ATV's roun hur b 4 but not 2 sure wur jeep trails are?? dont wana get in trouble 4 going in the wrong places.. and I haven't ever went rockcrawling b 4 either so that is a hole differnt world to wut i am used 2.. flat terrain,wet,muddy,swamp lands.. ha ha ... thanks 4 your time and n e info would b appreciated..:D

#41 ·
I am nuB to the site and I am in the 57703 area and I recently hauled my 93 YJ from the southland of florida where i am originially from and i was wondering wur there are places to ride that is open to jeeps??? i have ridden ATV's roun hur b 4 but not 2 sure wur jeep trails are?? dont wana get in trouble 4 going in the wrong places.. and I haven't ever went rockcrawling b 4 either so that is a hole differnt world to wut i am used 2.. flat terrain,wet,muddy,swamp lands.. ha ha ... thanks 4 your time and n e info would b appreciated..:D
wow your 38? this is not myspace its ok to type words out, had to say it. anyway alot of the guys out here are not to happy about mudding because it gets the trails closed down pretty quick. look up bh4wheelers they have all the info you need for trails, also get a map from forestry service they show all the trails and when they are open so u dont go where you are not supposed to be. runs are almost every weekend so hit someone up me included and we can get you out and show you the area. and lastly TREADLIGHTLY:highfive:

Look forward to seeing the rig out there... and are you military?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.