Any Good Trails in Black Hills Area? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North Central USA > South Dakota Jeep Forum > Any Good Trails in Black Hills Area?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-20-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
neil_ski
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Any Good Trails in Black Hills Area?

Hi all,

I might be visiting the Black Hills area next month. Are there any good OHV trails or minimum maintenance roads that I can explore with my XJ? I like avoiding the crowds of (fellow) tourists that scare away all of the wildlife.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Neil

[B]MN Jeeper #2 [/B]

Drink life, live beer.
96 Classic, 160,000 and almost broken in
Not a lot of mods, high flow cat and muff, Dunlop Mud Terrains, Rancho Shocks, cheap (but fun) fog lights
neil_ski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
yellojeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I go ATV riding in the black hills and there are some great trails and fire roads. Sounds like the tree huggers are trying to shut down a lot of the trails, but if you call some of the campgrounds, they will be helpful.

NRA Life Member
yellojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
1RustyXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Just recently the Forest Service put out a huge map of all the approved routes in the black hills. It breaks it down to ATV, Dirtbike, general forest service roads open to all types and strictly rock-crawler areas. I don't know if it's finalized yet, but if you contact them I'm sure they could get you a map.
It might even be on their website...
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RustyXJ View Post
Just recently the Forest Service put out a huge map of all the approved routes in the black hills. It breaks it down to ATV, Dirtbike, general forest service roads open to all types and strictly rock-crawler areas. I don't know if it's finalized yet, but if you contact them I'm sure they could get you a map.
If anyone finds this map please post a link here so others can get it. My inlaws live in the southern Black Hills and I would love to have a map of the area that shows some trails. I've never found the trails out there.
2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #5
yellojeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I called out to the Black Hills Forest Service on Monday and recieved the map on Wedensday. It is a nice map, real big and easy to read. Two sided. They also sent me some other information. It was well worth the phone call.

NRA Life Member
Unread 06-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellojeeper View Post
I called out to the Black Hills Forest Service on Monday and recieved the map on Wedensday. It is a nice map, real big and easy to read. Two sided. They also sent me some other information. It was well worth the phone call.
Thanks, I'll do that. Any chance you still have the phone number handy? Also, what exactly did they call the map? I want to make sure I get the right one.

EDIT: Does this map break it down by OHV, ATV, and dirtbike like was mentioned above?
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Fargo; 06-05-2008 at 10:18 AM..
Unread 06-09-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RustyXJ View Post

I just called the Spearfish branch and got more info on this.
Spearfish, SD 57783
605/642-4622

The lady I spoke with indicated that right now the Black Hills is an open forest. Meaning that you can ride on any old road or trail. But she said there is a national mandate to close all trails except for those specifically setup for trail riding. Once the map is out, the forest will be closed except for the approved trails. She said she can send out a rough draft now that shows which trails are currently closed and what is private land. She said the final release will be next year some time. So I guess that is why the new map is coming out. I had asked her to send me a copy of the draft. I'll let you all know what I get.

EDIT: It sounds to me like the environmentalist have managed to put another barrier up against Jeepers enjoying the forest.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I did get my map from the Forest Service last week. The one they sent me is the travel management map that is available on their website. http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/blackhills/maps/

It doesn't have trails broken down by ATV,OHV or dirtbike as mentioned above. But its a decent map. If nothing else it sure helps that it is a lot bigger than I can print out from the pdf file. Hopefully it will provide some help out there.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-18-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
yellojeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I just got back from 3 days of ATV riding in the BH (450 miles). It is really awesome, being able to ride anywhere. The trails are all in really good shape and have very little signs of usage. The sad thing is, when Jeeps and ATV's are assigned to designated trails, the vehicles will be confined to smaller areas and traffic in those areas will go up. The fact that the OHV's are not concentrated in one area is what keeps the trails from getting badly rutted and also safe. MHO is, as usual, the bunny huggers have good intentions with what will be less than desireable outcome.

I got the same map as was linked to above, and yes, there are no proposed trails marked on the map. I hope they keep it the way it is right now. Its safer and better for the enviroment.

NRA Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.