Non-jeep ND questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North Central USA > North Dakota Jeep Forum > Non-jeep ND questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-23-2014, 05:26 AM   #1
SummerOf95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Non-jeep ND questions

My fiancée and I are considering moving to Fargo, ND sometime next year, and we had a few questions.
I'm hoping someone on here can help us out.

I think the most important issue is employment. What is the job market like?
We both currently work in retail (management). I see lots of job openings on the internet, but that doesn't always give an accurate impression of the real life market.

What's the political landscape like? Gadsden flags or Obama stickers?

Are there any common natural disasters? I've read there's a history of the river flooding, as well as tornados.

How harsh are the winters?
Do you need engine heater? Are hardtops a necessity?

And, lastly, crime?
Where I am now, I'll put the top down and pull the doors off, leave it parked at the mall for a few hours, and all my stuff is still there when I come back.
Can you do that around Fargo, or will I need a hardtop and lock-nuts on the doors?

If anyone can offer some input, we'd really appreciate it.

Unread 06-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #2
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

here are a couple answers for you,
1. retail is pretty widely available, just may not be the pay that you would want, but available.
2. political, to tell the truth, I dont pay attention, as I probably should.
3. alot of straight line winds, risk of flood in the spring, extreme cold, lots of snow, not so much for tornados.
4. harshness of winter?? -40 degrees?? how is that for ya?? it stayed below 0 regular high for about 3 months this year.
engine block heater is almost required, as most apartments are set up with outlets outside wired to your apartment.
hard top not required, but definitely recommended.
5. crime? just as most, do it smart, don't leave valuables in plain sight. a tuffy lock box would be recommended anywhere.
alot of jeeps without tops are around, so just be smart with it.
Unread 06-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
SummerOf95
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's pretty darn cold.
Gonna have a hard time talking the woman into that one.

Funny, my old YJ actually had a factory-original engine block heater, but not my TJ, unfortunately.
Guess I should look into getting one then?
Unread 06-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #4
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I would, and they arent that bad of an install, whether you do it yourself, or have it done.
Unread 06-24-2014, 06:40 PM   #5
hamph

i also have a question as i will be moving there very soon next 2 months. are there alot of places to ride? and do mt tires need chains
hamph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
loneeagle78
1990 XJ Cherokee 

no chains needed, but places to ride... closest legal access is about 100 miles from fargo. you usually have to know someone that has places closer.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.