JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wyoming Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f339/)
-   -   Laramie wyo? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f339/laramie-wyo-896521/)

Peej03 11-07-2009 05:46 PM

Laramie wyo?

Anyone wheel up in the snowy/happy jack area?

Cesaros 01-29-2010 06:25 PM

I'm in the Cheyenne area, about 30min from Medicine Bow

vonericsen 05-11-2010 11:55 PM

I've gone out to happy jack a couple times, but not a whole lot since i'm usually a bit busy with school

ZebraZJ 07-28-2011 05:17 PM

Yeah, I go there once in a while. mostly level 1-2 trails. good area for easy testing. Just don't get caught off trail. up to a $25000 fine, vehicle confiscation and mandatory federal court( in Cheyenne). A guy I went to tech with got a $4500 fine for being about 2 ft off trail.

Tim

grogie 07-28-2011 06:11 PM

^$4500 fine for 2 feet?! What is this, the Soviet Union? :eek:

ZebraZJ 07-29-2011 01:08 PM

It may have been he was helping pull someone way off trail out. I don't know the circumstances.

Tim

Peej03 08-31-2011 06:06 AM

I know people who have been charged $750 for every bush they run over on closed trails up in the snowys. Kinda absurd but it does keep wyoming landscape clean. Tread lightly

afbond03 09-01-2011 08:20 PM

Def. have to be careful in Vedauwoo. People do need to learn to stay the trail out there though. It really sucks to see so much vegetation tore up when it starts thawing out up there.
The Cheyenne Trail Crew has talked about trying to start going out there more to inform people of staying on the trail and doing clean ups. I think that is the biggest downfall with Wyoming. They just don't have an organization that puts out that type of information like Colorado has with Stay The Trail, people are ignorant to it.

blizzboy15 09-29-2011 11:04 PM

We have a bunch of people that just go tear stuff up. That's why they are so stiff on fines and trespressing. I wish there was some sort of wheeling park or wheeling area. I frequent Colo often to get my wheeling in. Anyone in Laramie area that wants to go shoot me a message on here, I'm game!!! Cheers!

jjenki20 11-23-2011 02:30 PM

If you are down to wheel in Laramie let me know Ill see what my schedule looks like.

blizzboy15 01-02-2012 08:42 PM

awesome! sorry i didnt get back to you sooner! i have a pretty easy schedule! i can go wheeling weekdays or weekends usually! let me know!

007_SuperCoupe 06-03-2013 06:01 PM

I'm resurrecting an old thread, I know. My son and I are going to be making the trip out to Laramie this week for his freshman orientation at UW. Was wondering if there are any easy trails to introduce him (and me) to some more technical off road driving than is offered here in eastern Nebraska. If you haven't figured, there's not much in eastern Nebraska as far as public off road availability. Most likely a level 1 or 2, as mentioned above, will be really cool for him to start learning on. I've had my WJ for almost 2 years now and just installed some OME springs to get a little more lift out of it, so I'd like to test it out a little.

We will be heading out on Wednesday and his orientation gets finished at about noon on Friday. Was looking at something maybe Friday afternoon and/or Saturday. I have to double check with my wife as to when I need to be back here for sure. Just thought I'd see if there's any possibility of meeting up and getting a little off road lesson.

Also, are there any good camping spots to pitch a tent around. I've only been out that way once and it was last November...not exactly a good camping time to be there. I was considering pitching a tent and enjoying some good out doors while I'm there.

Thanks in advance.

vonericsen 06-07-2013 11:42 AM

There are some cool places to camp in Vedauwoo just outside of town.

I remember driving around and exploring in there and there are a couple spots that could be good to get a little more off-road practice but most of it is just dirt roads.

007_SuperCoupe 06-07-2013 12:42 PM

Just drove some of those roads. Explored about every branch off the main road and found some great spots that did require 4-low. Discovered half way down one "road" that is was actually a 4-wheeler path. That one was fun.

vonericsen 06-07-2013 02:26 PM

There are also a couple cool side roads off of telephone rd not to far from there as well. (If you take the happy Jack exit from i80 it branches off of there).
I remember one had a couple of neat water crossings but some were very deep so be careful if you find those.

The time now is 09:38 AM.