Any trails near the Tetons - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > North Central USA > Wyoming Jeep Forum > Any trails near the Tetons

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-06-2012, 07:38 AM   #16
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Awesome information guys. Thanks.

Thats a bummer to hear that riley trail and the fire tower are closed. But I'm glad to hear there are other possibilities. Thanks for checking them out. I hope your having some fun out there. I appreciate the effort.

I checked that gros ventre campsite out and it sounds nice. According to the website they only take group reservations but I'm going to call them today. Thanks for the tip. If nothing else I'm sure I'll find a National Forest campground or something.

Thanks Geno for the tip on pronunciation and for letting me know about your buddy at Auto and Diesel.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara Limited Edition #41
6spd manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
...there's very little that is more permanent than a temporary solution
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oman Jeep
Go with quality and cry once. Go cheap and cry often. Take your pick ;)
LJ Owners Group member #110
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

jeep trails

Well, i've had a hard time finding a trail worthy of being called a jeep trail. Everything i've done so far, i've been able to do without 4wd. The fisherman creek trail is ok, but not sure where it goes. The 3.5 miles we did were ok, but nothing to hard. If it were wet, it would be a different story. Many of the trails that were open when i lived here 3 years ago have now been closed. I talked to damon at teton motors about where to go for some tough trails, but his recommendations are pretty far away, and i'm not sure what he considers a hard trail.
jacksonjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper View Post
Well, i've had a hard time finding a trail worthy of being called a jeep trail. Everything i've done so far, i've been able to do without 4wd. The fisherman creek trail is ok, but not sure where it goes. The 3.5 miles we did were ok, but nothing to hard. If it were wet, it would be a different story. Many of the trails that were open when i lived here 3 years ago have now been closed. I talked to damon at teton motors about where to go for some tough trails, but his recommendations are pretty far away, and i'm not sure what he considers a hard trail.
I was thinking about you this weekend wondering if you were having any luck finding anything.

Thats a real bummer that you havn't found anything. Not just for me but for you guys living there. Its got to be hard to live in the mountains and not really have any fun trails nearby.

I'll probably be OK with a couple of those easy ones if nothing else shows up. At least I'd get offroad a little an enjoy some nice scenery.

So how far away were Damons suggestions? Any landmarks near the area I might get an idea of where he is talking. I'll be coming from the east so I might be able to hit them on my way out there.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #19
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

wyoming trails

I found out about another trail i'm going to check out. I saw 1 of the locals jeeps covered in mud, so i thought he might have some ideas, even though i'm not into mud. If you are camping at the gros venture campground, the trailhead is about 10 minutes from there. I will check it out in the next couple days. Do you have bear spray? There are black bears and grizz in the area. There is a place called curtis canyon, just out of jackson. It offers great views of the tetons if the smoke clears out of the valley by then. I'll keep you posted. Curtis canyon campground may be another option for you to stay at, but i dont know if they have pit toilets.
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I found out about another trail i'm going to check out. I saw 1 of the locals jeeps covered in mud, so i thought he might have some ideas, even though i'm not into mud. If you are camping at the gros venture campground, the trailhead is about 10 minutes from there. I will check it out in the next couple days.
Great, glad to hear there might be something better yet. Thanks for checking these all out for me. I hope that they've been some fun treks. I'm not into mud either. That stuff gets into everything and just wears stuff out.

Let me know what you find out.

Quote:

Do you have bear spray? There are black bears and grizz in the area. There is a place called curtis canyon, just out of jackson. It offers great views of the tetons if the smoke clears out of the valley by then. I'll keep you posted. Curtis canyon campground may be another option for you to stay at, but i dont know if they have pit toilets.
I've been meaning to get some bear spray but I haven't yet. I don't know if it really works or not, but I figure it doesn't hurt to have. I'm not sure where we are staying yet. I did call the Gros Venture campground. They don't take reservations, but the lady said they never fill up. So that will probably be where we stay. At least for the first few nights. Unless we find something better along the way. I'll check out the Curtis Canyon campground too. Thanks for the tip.

Do you have a lot of local fires right now? Or is the smoke from other areas? I haven't caught much on the news lately about the fires out in the Rockies.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-13-2012, 06:21 PM   #21
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

smoke in the valley

There are fires in idaho, northern utah and southern wyoming. We just need a storm to move it out. It's supposed to rain next week, i hope. You can buy bear spray pretty much anywhere here in jackson.
Unread 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There are fires in idaho, northern utah and southern wyoming. We just need a storm to move it out. It's supposed to rain next week, i hope. You can buy bear spray pretty much anywhere here in jackson.
I wouldn't mind if you guys got some rain. It would be nice if I could have a campfire when I'm out there. I imagine there are fire bans right now. What time of year do the mountain peaks start to see a little snow? Mountains always look so nice with a little snow cap on them.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #23
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fires

You are allowed to have a fire in an approved campground fire pit right now. Snow can't come soon enough. It's much warmer than normal here. Normally we see snow in october. On another note, have you ever gone to the jeep safari in south dakota? My wife and i would like to try that in a couple years.
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are allowed to have a fire in an approved campground fire pit right now. Snow can't come soon enough. It's much warmer than normal here. Normally we see snow in october. On another note, have you ever gone to the jeep safari in south dakota? My wife and i would like to try that in a couple years.
Good to hear on the campfire. Although I still hope you guys get your rain this week. I was kind of hoping to see a little snow on the peaks, but thats ok. I'd rather not have it snowing when I am there

I'm actually not familiar with the Jeep Safari in SD. Or did you mean Jeep Camp? I think Jeep does one of thier Jeep camps there. I have not done the Jeep Camp out there either. I was going to a few years ago but while looking into the information, I met a local guy on the Black Hills Jeep forum and we just went out with a small group of his friends. We did run a lot of the same trails they do though. There are some pretty fun trails out there. I really should get out there more often. Especially since my in laws live out there. But its a 9 hour drive for me. About the same as it is for you from Jackson. I know because I am staying there on my way out to Jackson and its about the same distance for both legs of the trip.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-14-2012, 05:20 PM   #25
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Snow in the mountains

There is snow on the tetons that never melts. You'll see!
Unread 08-14-2012, 06:26 PM   #26
Spaceball

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Greys river road outside of Alpine was fun also, you can go all the way to around Pinedale then back to Jackson. Kinda far though. I'm sure there's lots of side roads to do some wheelin
Spaceball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
The Greys river road outside of Alpine was fun also, you can go all the way to around Pinedale then back to Jackson. Kinda far though. I'm sure there's lots of side roads to do some wheelin
I'll keep that in mind. I'll probably also just try a couple of side roads as you mentioned too. Maybe something on the way to a good hiking trail. I'll have to scope some of them out as well.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #28
zillla
1975 CJ5 

The Greys river road is not much of a 4WD trail. Just a gravel road. The problem is the Forest Service implemented a new travel plan. A lot of stuff that was open is now closed.. If you have a dirt bike there are a bunch of gnarly single trak trails to ride.. Otherwise its pretty much gravel roads and easy two tracks..
zillla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
jacksonjeeper
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have'nt had any more luck finding a fun trail, but i am also on call on labor day weekend so i guess my trail guiding is out. Sorry man. I'm the low man on seniority so i've been elected to cover on that weekend.
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #30
Fargo
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla View Post
The Greys river road is not much of a 4WD trail. Just a gravel road. The problem is the Forest Service implemented a new travel plan. A lot of stuff that was open is now closed.. If you have a dirt bike there are a bunch of gnarly single trak trails to ride.. Otherwise its pretty much gravel roads and easy two tracks..
That seems to be what is happening around the country. Dirt bikes and ATV trails are open but closed to Jeeps.

Quote:
I have'nt had any more luck finding a fun trail, but i am also on call on labor day weekend so i guess my trail guiding is out. Sorry man. I'm the low man on seniority so i've been elected to cover on that weekend.
Sorry to hear that. I was looking forward to meeting up with you. But I completely understand. I truely appreciate all the work you've done scoping out trails for me. Its sad there are no fun trails in the area. But I'll just try a couple of gravel roads to see what I can find. Thanks again. Let me know if you get any days off the week after Labor Day. We may still be able to meet up.
6spd manual

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.