JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Wyoming Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f339/)
-   -   Any trails near the Tetons (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f339/any-trails-near-tetons-1391271/)

Fargo 07-10-2012 08:53 AM

Any trails near the Tetons

Hey guys, I am thinking about taking a vacation out to the Grand Tetons. Are there any enjoyable and scenic trails out in the area that I could get a day or two with some trail riding. Doesn't have to be all day of trail riding, but a couple of nice 2-4 hour trails would be nice. I'm coming from ND so something along the way in either WY or MT might work out too. Whats out there?

Fargo 07-17-2012 11:07 AM

C'mon guys, not trails in Wyoming or what? They don't have to be in the park but something within a hundred miles would be a good start.

jacksonjeeper 07-19-2012 06:54 PM

Call damon at teton motors in jackson. He knows of some good trails not far from jackson. Also, you can go up riling draw near bondurant or stop at the bar in bondurant and ask for directions to the old fire tower. I sm moving back to jackson on the 25th of july but wont have time to show around for awhile.

Fargo 07-19-2012 09:34 PM

Thanks that helps. At least I have a starting point and know there are some options out there. I'll try to get in touch with Damon or find a trail by Riling Draw. I'm just looking for something of an offroad scenic drive I can enjoy with my wife and family. Something moderately easy but with enough rough spots to use 4wd and make it interesting. NOthing too challenging or technical though. I'm looking forward to it a bit more now that I know some places are open to wheeling.

jacksonjeeper 07-20-2012 10:45 PM

When are you going to go? Riling draw is very beautiful near the top. Pretty easy trail, not too tough. The old fire tower is fun too.

Fargo 07-22-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper (Post 13897923)
When are you going to go? Riling draw is very beautiful near the top. Pretty easy trail, not too tough. The old fire tower is fun too.

Going the first week in September. In fact I should arrive the the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. That is if I think I will be able to find camping out there that weekend. I expect it should be pretty dry that time of year. Will there be any snow on the peaks?

Those two trails sound fun. I'll plan on them and maybe look for a 3rd more difficult trail. Do you have any directions or map references how I can find Riling Draw or the fire tower. I appreciate the guidance. I'm really looking forward to my trip. I plan to spend about 5-6 days in the area doing hiking, wheeling and general sight seeing. Any other sights, hikes, or wheeling places you can recommend are appreciated.

jacksonjeeper 07-22-2012 10:09 AM

I can probably show you those 2 trails myself. My wife and i are moving to jackson hole next week. I will pm you next week with a contact number to reach me when you get in town. I have sundays and mondays off. I have'nt been on either trail in 3 years. There should be no snow. I will see if we can get damon to guide us on the trails he knows

Fargo 07-22-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper (Post 13902812)
I can probably show you those 2 trails myself. My wife and i are moving to jackson hole next week. I will pm you next week with a contact number to reach me when you get in town. I have sundays and mondays off. I have'nt been on either trail in 3 years. There should be no snow. I will see if we can get damon to guide us on the trails he knows

That would be fun. My wife liked the idea too. My plan is to arrive sometime Sunday afternoon. So we'll have to shoot for Monday. PM me your info when you get settled in and we can keep in touch.

jacksonjeeper 07-22-2012 08:53 PM

Ok sounds good. How is your jeep set up? Stock or lifted? Tire size?

Fargo 07-24-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper (Post 13905036)
Ok sounds good. How is your jeep set up? Stock or lifted? Tire size?

I have an LJ Rubicon with a 2" spring lift and 1" Body lift with 285/75/16s (33s). I haven't had a chance to wheel it since I added the larger tires. But provided I have sufficient bumpstop and don't rub anywhere, my jeep should be far more capable than my driving skills.

jacksonjeeper 08-01-2012 04:58 PM

sorry for the long time to reply. just got my internet back on. Sounds like our jeeps are set up close to the same. I'm going exploring on saturday looking for other trails close by

Fargo 08-01-2012 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper (Post 13955772)
sorry for the long time to reply. just got my internet back on. Sounds like our jeeps are set up close to the same. I'm going exploring on saturday looking for other trails close by

That sounds great. I'm looking forward to meeting you and doing a little wheeling.

jacksonjeeper 08-05-2012 07:33 PM

Campgrounds

There are some nice campgrounds about 10 miles north of jackson, near kelly. I think it might be the gros venture campground but not sure. I would recommend you make reservations soon, before they are booked up. We found a pretty tough trail today. It is called north fork fishermans creek. It is about 50 miles south and east of jackson to the trailhead, but we are going to try to find something a little closer to jackson. I'll keep you posted. Some of the other trails we were thinking of, like the fire tower or riling draw, are closed.

Spaceball 08-05-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacksonjeeper (Post 13975378)
There are some nice campgrounds about 10 miles north of jackson, near kelly. I think it might be the gros venture campground but not sure. I would recommend you make reservations soon, before they are booked up. We found a pretty tough trail today. It is called north fork fishermans creek. It is about 50 miles south and east of jackson to the trailhead, but we are going to try to find something a little closer to jackson. I'll keep you posted. Some of the other trails we were thinking of, like the fire tower or riling draw, are closed.

I lived there for a few years, theres lots of wheelin to do near by Jackson. Btw if you don't know the gros ventre area it's pronounced grow vont so you don't sound like a tourist :laugh:

The gros ventre road is a great road, you can keep going waaaaay up there, mild wheeling at the end. Super scenic though.

One my best buddies works at a shop in Jackson called "Auto & Diesel" Stop by there and tell him Geno says HI he probably knows alot of cool places to go wheeling, he's lived there forever.

Spaceball 08-05-2012 07:59 PM

Ooops sorry Dave is his name at auto & diesel

The time now is 09:23 AM.