Jeep jamboree in Cullman, Al - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > Jeep jamboree in Cullman, Al

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-17-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
Jt_grooms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jeep jamboree in Cullman, Al

JJ will be in Cullman, Al Nov. 1-3. I've never been to a JJ is it worth $250 a person? Don't you have to pay for a hotel too? I'm about 2 hours drive away thinking of going. Any advice on going would be appreciated!

Unread 04-17-2012, 07:33 AM   #2
undercoverfab
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt_grooms View Post
JJ will be in Cullman, Al Nov. 1-3. I've never been to a JJ is it worth $250 a person? Don't you have to pay for a hotel too? I'm about 2 hours drive away thinking of going. Any advice on going would be appreciated!
Have you ever been to Stoney Lonesome in Cullman County? Its very well laid-out with great signs and maps and very few trails that are remotely challenging for a stock TJ. I suggest you go by yourself sometime before the JJ to decide if you want to be stuck there in a long procession of Jeeps for days.
(334) 873-4000

Jeep Forum 10% Off Discount Code: jeepforum.com

Check us out on Facebook

undercoverfab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

If you like family time and waiting in lines, its for you. If you like wheeling and quite time, for get it......
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My take is:
It's for folks that don't hit the trails often and don't want to do it alone. Find a local club.
It's for folks that haven't hit the trails before or very many times and don't want to do it alone. Find a local club.
It's for folks that like organized events and want to spend the weekend on the trails with little or no personnal planning or responsibility.
It's for folks that like to collect T-shirts, hats, and decals. Visit ebay.
It's for folks that like fairly large social gatherings.
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I just went to the Cajun JJ last weekend for the first time. I doubt these folks above have ever been from what they are saying. I thought it was great. There was only one long line all weekend at one long hill climb where the first two jeeps had breaks and had to winch up a 120' hill climb. I thought it was great and I go wheeling once a month with friends but do not belong to a club. It let me wheel on private property in another part of my state where I would never have gone. Also, there is no clubs that I know of that gives away 2 winches plus about 2,000 in give-aways and gift cards every trail ride. Got to ride with people from Pennsylvania to Florida to Kansas along with most of the southern states. But that is my opinion.... I will be going back or joining a club that wheels down there.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
70s J10 with J20 axles - yard art too
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
tators
1997 TJ Wrangler 

$250 a person is alot of money for what you get... but my opion is..that the price is to weed out folks that can't afford to play.....

If the location is private, it may be worth it to experience trails you will never have access too....

Otherwise... find a local club... Clubs in Alabama will most likely be part of Southern Four Wheel Drive association, SFDA hosts big rides and had smaller quarterly meetings if you want to ride with big groups..
tators is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Stony Lonesome OHV Park in Cullman, AL is a county owned/operated park that is open to the general public.
Unread 04-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

As Matt said, if you're new to wheeling, it would be good for you. SLOHV is laid out very well and it is hard to get lost, but you CAN find a remote mud hole or two, right Matt?

Jamborees are really geared towards new wheelers who want to experience it in a family environment. The guides, of which I am one for that Jamboree, are there to help you around the park and to make sure you minimize your damage while having fun. It can be slow at times, depending on which group you wheel with (beginner, intermediate, or advanced).

From a personal POV, if you live close (I live 1 hr away in Huntsville), it may not be worth it to spend $250 for THAT jamboree. Gateway to the Cumberlands is private land and only opened up for that particular jamboree. If I were paying for a Jamboree, I'd pay for one further from my home (Moab, Ouray, Texas Spur, Cumberland would likely get my money).

And yes, hotel is separate. You could camp out at Smith lake though.

Other Alabama parks include Morris Mountain, Greyrock, and Hale Mountain.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #9
Jt_grooms
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice!! Sounds like I'll just go a different time with some buddies. I really would like to spend the weekend camping at Morris Mountain I heard it's fun

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.