How & where do I get started? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > How & where do I get started?

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
TheNewLaura
1986 CJ7 

How & where do I get started?

I know this will seem crazy (at least that's what my mother and a few friends have told me), but I'm really not. I'm just a girl looking to add some fun to her life. I just bought this killer Jeep, but have no idea where to go to start learning what I can do with it. All the mods/specs are listed in my profile. Clearly, I will be the limiting factor; not the Jeep itself! I live in Tuscaloosa and would appreciate ANY advice on a good place to start, what to do, what NOT to do, etc.

TheNewLaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #2
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Nice Jeep . First thing is look up the local off rd club . Google 4x4 club or off rd club will the trick . And then get a CB installed ! very important for group rides . Good luck and have fun
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM   #3
OverEasy
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Try and get you some good recovery equipment (recovery straps, tree straps, winch line lengthener's, gloves, d-rings/ shackles, high-lift. . . .)

Just start slow and learn the Jeep's capabilities. You will grow in knowledge and skill and will start to get into more and more harder things. Like said above, a good start would be getting in a group/ club that likes the sport and will help you to learn your new vehicles ins and outs. Respect your Jeep, the land and those with you and you're sure to have a great time with that Jeep!

Also, i'm a new member here myself so welcome from another JeepForum newb!
OverEasy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
wfochris
2002 TJ Wrangler 

You OK after the weather we got? Nice jeep.
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #5
TheNewLaura
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfochris View Post
You OK after the weather we got? Nice jeep.
Just now got my internet back...however, that's nothing compared to what all I've seen the last few days. I was very fortunate; just lost power for a few hours and internet until today.

I've been working with a clean-up crew and have been totally overwhelmed at what all I've experienced. There are people who have lost everything, but there are also people who have given everything. On our way out this morning, a guy shows up from Atlanta with the back of his Yukon filled with brand new chain saws, oil, gas cans (already filled up), and a case of water. He said he wanted to do something, so he brought over 6 chain saws for anybody who could use them. That's just one example of the outpouring of concern we've had.
TheNewLaura is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #6
WagoneerCraig
1989 FSJ Wagoneer 

Now thats what a community is suppose be like.Looks like you have found a great group of folks and in good hands .
WagoneerCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 02:34 PM   #7
blascrw
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Absolutely What a community should be like.

Also check out the work from www.toomers4tuscaloosa.com has done! incredible!

Glad you made it through the storms!!

I and a few others plan to make a trip up to morris mountain (http://www.morrismountainorv.com/) soon.

I personally have never been.

We also plan on a trip sometime after that to Choccolocco Mountain Off Road Vehicle Park in Jacksonville, AL (http://www.choccoloccomountain.com/)

Let me know if you would like to know when we are going.
[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #485[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

[LIST][*]Calling Illegal Aliens "Undocumented Immigrants" is like calling drug dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"[/LIST]
[B][COLOR="Blue"][CENTER]I got this jeep for my wife, Thought it was a good trade![/CENTER][/COLOR][/B]
[CENTER][B][SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-begining-clean-jeep-build-1164158/"]My Build[/SIZE][/URL][/B][/CENTER]
blascrw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
jpony645
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Our club (Central Alabama Offroad Society, aka CAOS) is based in Birmingham but we have some members in Tuscaloosa. www.caos4x4.com There is a club in T-town but the name escapes me at the moment.
jpony645 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #9
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WagoneerCraig View Post
Nice Jeep . First thing is look up the local off rd club . Google 4x4 club or off rd club will the trick . And then get a CB installed ! very important for group rides . Good luck and have fun
This. A good offroad club will help you with picking out basic recovery stuff and other general things. Its always best to go with a friend who is more familiar so if theres an issue, you aren't completely out of luck. A club is a great source of said friends.

A bad offroad club is the kind that shoots down questions with "google it" and expects you to already know everything
Demp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.