Dothan, AL Jeeps Post UP! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > Dothan, AL Jeeps Post UP!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperCyber Sale on RUBICON EXPRESS - Short Arms, Long Arms, Tra

Unread 05-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #76
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

79CJchik, I just thought of a couple of little places right here in town I've been wanting to check out. The first is just a nice hill and a small mud hole on Flynn Rd sort-of behind northside Wal-Mart. The other is right on Montgomery Hwy (231N) just south of the same Wal-Mart and right beside UPS. Here's a couple of pics to show where it is. Probably be best to try this one on a Saturday or Sunday morning since it's right on the highway.

Dudemeister, Dothan is a little far to drive just for those small spots so take a look at post #13 of this thread and if you want to meet up there some time, let know

Otherwise we might all try some of the logging roads an hour or so west (I think) of Dothan. They're all over the place. I'm up for just about anything so lets hear some ideas.

dothan-1.jpg   dothan-3.jpg  
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #77
79CJChik
1979 CJ7 

yup she's running good now. I had the tranny rebuilt over christmas and just put new brakes on the front!
79CJChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:30 AM   #78
dudemeister
2007 JK Wrangler 

Jason,

Ive been to that spot you posted earlier on Tank Rd about 2 weeks ago. I had blast but then saw a sign posted from the city saying "no fourwheelers" and a $2,500 fine. It was back behind all the ruts and in a not so obvious place. I'd like to check out some logging roads. I personally don't know where any are though. I haven't been west of Dothan yet. Let me know if anybody wants to go fourwheeling this weekend. I think I should be done regearing my JK by Saturday. I'm going to 5.13's and want to try them out.
dudemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 10:46 AM   #79
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ah. Thanks. I never saw that. I'm guessing all the other people that go there never have either, lol. I'll go back and update my earlier post on that spot.

I got lucky one weekend and found some logging roads east of Elba and the gate was open with no signs anywhere so I tried them out. They were pretty fun, but with no winch at the time and being by myself I didn't take too many chances. I have no idea how legal that really was though. Last year when I was really anxious to find new places to ride, I just got on Google Earth and started looking. I think that's how I found that logging road. I was also looking for access to rivers because those usually had some decent, but short trails.

My cell is 334-868-4583. It's a work phone so I don't mind posting it on here, but I usually leave the ringer off after work though. I'll keep it on this weekend if you find anywhere.

EDIT: I looked up that logging road on Google. It's location is 31* 24' 28.62"N, 86* 01' 13.66"W
Also, there's always the Geneva State Forest. They have a lot of fire break roads to ride on and it's legal. It's 31* 06' 31.87"N, 86*08' 50.26"W. That would probably be a good place for a group of us to to go if anyone's interested.

Last edited by Jason D; 05-28-2010 at 11:00 AM..
Jason D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:18 PM   #80
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason D View Post
Found a new spot...

EDIT: Just found out there's a "No Four Wheelers" sign posted w/ a $2500 fine so I've deleted all the info on this place.
Found the same sign, 2 hours after our fun.
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #81
ArmyFireFighter
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudemeister View Post
Jason,

Ive been to that spot you posted earlier on Tank Rd about 2 weeks ago. I had blast but then saw a sign posted from the city saying "no fourwheelers" and a $2,500 fine. It was back behind all the ruts and in a not so obvious place. I'd like to check out some logging roads. I personally don't know where any are though. I haven't been west of Dothan yet. Let me know if anybody wants to go fourwheeling this weekend. I think I should be done regearing my JK by Saturday. I'm going to 5.13's and want to try them out.
A-HAH Hola le. yo sabo tu.

deffinately down for wheelin'
ArmyFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #82
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing you're stationed at Rucker. Ever find anywhere on base to ride?
Unread 05-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #83
dudemeister
2007 JK Wrangler 

Local Wheeling near Ft Rucker Alabama - Google Maps

I found this map with possible wheeling spots on Rucker Wheeler's website. Im thinking we should go check out the creek or placemark 2.
Unread 05-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #84
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

From the looks of all the planted pines in the area, I'm guessing it's a logging road. I'm surprised I've never seen it on the map since it's so close to a river. When do you want to try it out? It's really close to me (I live on the west side of Dothan) so anytime is fine. I live on the west side of Dothan so it would take less than 30 minutes to get there.

EDIT: Went back and looked at that map. Looks like that guy has done a lot of exploring. Several places on there I'd like to check out. Do you want to try to contact him and see if he's still in the area?
Unread 05-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #85
dudemeister
2007 JK Wrangler 

Im not sure how to contact anybody on Rucker Wheeler's website ( Wiregrass Wheelers - Home ) It seems like there is something wrong with the website because it keeps giving me errors when I click on posts. I think the map is a collaboration from a bunch of different people. There also isn't a lot of activity on their website. So Im not sure. Im hoping to get done with my regearing on Sunday and, if the diff's don't blow up, I think Ill be available to go exploring on Monday. Let me know what you think and which trail you have in mind. I just hope my diff's wont self destruct in the middle of nowhere.
Unread 05-30-2010, 09:28 AM   #86
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Monday sounds good to me. Good luck with the gears. I'm about to head out to the closest trails just to see if they're still open. I'll let you know what I find.
Unread 05-30-2010, 11:28 AM   #87
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Drove by a few of the places, I think. I couldn't see "Placemark 2" or "NX7". I thought I saw "NX4" but looking back at the map, it's in a different spot from where I was looking.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:42 AM   #88
dudemeister
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey Jason,

ArmyFireFighter and I are going out to explore the "Creek" trail today around 1 pm. I left a message on your phone with my number. Give us a call if you can come.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:57 AM   #89
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

My phone's dead, but I'll meet you guys at the end of that road where the trail starts at 1:00.
It also looks like there's a couple of other places to ride near there. looks like there's another "pit" on up Tank Hill Rd and some simple little trails off Baxter St just east of that.
Unread 05-31-2010, 08:19 PM   #90
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That was a lot of fun. I'm really suprised at how much my jeep would do. Most of the mud holes we went through, I never would've tried on my own. Thanks for taking the lead, dudemeister. Especially on the worst one towards the end. Hopefully we'll have a few others join us next time.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.