Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Birmingham Area CJ Owners... Are you out there

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TheBuffaloCJ 
#1 ·
My guess is that there arent too many of us CJ7 owners around the Bham area but i thought it might be a good idea to create a thread to see.

New to Jeeps myself as I recently bought an 86 CJ7. I am loving wrenching and learning how to fix this sucker although I dont know much.

#4 ·
One more for Birmingham (Helena actually, but close enough)! I've been "restoring" (READ: fixing the PO's hack job work) for about 3 years now and without a doubt i couldn't have done most of it with out this forum. Just finished installing a 1" body lift last night and dodged many bullets from reading about other people's experiences.

#6 ·
Well, in my case, the jeep was in such bad condition that i had to replace or fix a lot of things just to make her safe and road worthy . When i got it it had been a "woods" jeep for quite some time. Just about everything (with the exception of the body/frame) was worn out and had been poorly maintained. I think the only reason the body wasn't rusted out was from all of the oil that had been coating it for years. Worn out and bent steering, ball joints etc. really bad wiring issues, the engine barely ran and the transmission was toast. Both axles leaked and the rear had a bent tube. Also, as i discovered during its rebuild, the cylinder head was held in place with a few of those galvanized coarse thread bolts used for building decks...

I always wanted to build a jeep that was 100% mine so i had no problem taking on the challenge (It helped that the Jeep didnt cost that much up front). I guess you could say I "want" to fix everything. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - i guess. Then you have more time for the fun stuff like lift kits and tires and actually driving your Jeep!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.