Auburn/Tuskegee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > Auburn/Tuskegee

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #1
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Auburn/Tuskegee

Any jeeped in the Tuskegee NF?? We camped there this past Friday night and noticed a lot of non-road driving areas. Kinda curious to see if anyone has explored the area??

webbdad

webbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
ryanc
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am interested as well. I just need to go explore.
ryanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

I may head out there Sunday after church and do a little exploring myself. All of this rain may make it interesting....

Webbdad
Unread 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
ryanc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I was thinking about Sunday. Be careful, not sure if all this rain has created some nasty trails out there.
Unread 10-18-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
ryanc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbdad View Post
Any jeeped in the Tuskegee NF?? We camped there this past Friday night and noticed a lot of non-road driving areas. Kinda curious to see if anyone has explored the area??

webbdad
You go out there today? Could you elaborate on the non road driving areas?
Thanks
Ryan
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM   #6
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

I did not get out there Sunday but will try to get out there this week. There are mark and mapped roads out there and then there are the 'trails'. These look like hunting or fire trails. Some of the 'trails' have had burms(?) put in place to discourage use but it appears that most people just go up and over.

I will update as more info becomes available.

webbdad
Unread 10-30-2009, 09:02 AM   #7
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

So how was it?
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Finally had some time when I was not busy and it was not raining. My sons and I loaded up in the CJ5 and headed for Tuskegee Forest. We had spotted a trail of interest while camping there a few weeks ago so that was our starting point. The 'trail' is off of 915 which I reached by coming in on CR54/FH38 from Hwy 29. The trail is about halfway around 915 on the right (if coming from the hwy 29 side). You will look for a little turn off that appears to dead end into a fence. Take the left trail at the fence.It appears to be a logging road or maybe a fire road, kinda narrow. We encountered about every obstacle possible except rocks/boulders. We finally turned around when we encountered knee deep water and since we were alone and with no winch it made for a pretty easy decision. We did encounter a log across the trail which made for a little fun. We did magane across the log but kinda was stuck on the skid plate for a second or two.
After the trail we wondered around toward the shooting range (there is a bathroom there). While on the way I thought it would be fun to get my oldest son wet since he was in the passenger seat and we only had half doors. I saw a nice long and narrow puddle beside the road and headed for it . I figured to just put the passenger tires in it and make a splash. Well apparently a lot of people thought the same thing. The puddle was DEEP (ruts). The whole side of the jeep dropped in and we actually had a little water come in the cab. I had to think quick and gear down just to keep moving. It was kinda funny afterwards but a little shocking during.
We ran out of time before we could make it around and try more trails. I will keep everyone posted.

webbdad
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a lot of fun. I've been in many similar situations where I didn't want to try my luck with water/mud because no one was with me. I do however have a winch now and I'm a little braver, but only a little, lol. If anyone wants to meet up to try some more of those trails, I'd love to go.
Unread 11-02-2009, 07:49 AM   #10
webbdad
1980 CJ5 

Cj

Jason,

I will let you know the next time I am headed that way. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I am looking for a wench now to help with the confidence level.

webbdad
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
ryanc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Id like to head out there, have an winch and all in case any of us get stuck.
Unread 11-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #12
Jason D
2006 TJ Wrangler 

webdad,
I got a Smittybiltt XRC8 and although I haven't really used it, I'd recomend it. While it's no Warn, for the rare occasion I'll use it, it's a great choice... especially for the price. (one sale for $285) The ONLY complaint I could find was a few people said the line speed was slow. IMO, it's not slow at all.
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #13
lliamsdad
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Xj willing to drive

Hey all. I'm from Alex city and willing to go whereever to ride. Nowhere around here to do so. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. It sucks having a jeep and nowhere to use her. Like I said I'm willing to drive to enjoy my baby. Everywhere around here even remotely fun is posted and we all know that takes the fun out of it. Just shout a line and ill be down.
lliamsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.