Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Anyone from Huntsville, AL???

208K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  jeepsarecool 
#1 ·
Just as the title askes, anyone nearby with some offroad spots? I have one down the parkway under the overpass at the TN River!

#698 ·
New to the forum. I live in NW Limestone county but work in Huntsville. I just bought my first jeep. A 93 YJ. Mostly stock now with 30" BFGs. 5th gear is gone. I'm looking for a used ax5 to rebuild and swap out. I'll start doing some upgrades as I can. Suggestions on essential upgrades to a dd weekend crawler? Maybe I can meetup with some of y'all the next time you do some wheelin'.

Attachments

#703 ·
Welcome! Essential is a little bit subjective because it really depends on how you plan to use it. Judging by the pic, your front springs look pretty flat so a mild lift and 31s would be my first move. YJ lifts are really easy to do as long as you can get the bolts and everything out. My old YJ took about 10 hours but that was with a lot of cutting and torching.

#707 ·
Bama_WJ said:
I'll agree with that. Not much to choose from as far as AT/MT tires go. I just brought the BFGs I got from Tire Rack and told them to put them on.
After shipping tire rack was pretty expensive. I called discount tire in spring hill and I'll be going up there after I get back from vacation.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using JeepForum

#718 ·
Thanks for the link!

I went up to Monte Sano today. Scoped it out some. The best spot for us to park is at the picnic area. There is a fairly large lot, and at 1600 hrs the shade will be right over us! The picnic area is the first right just past the guard shack at the main entrance.

#730 ·
My buddy lifted his XJ with a RC 4.5". Netted around 5" non settled. Rollin on 33's.

Drove it around a bit and it's honestly not that bad with 3.55's, 33's, AW4. He rubs like crazy and has no bumpstops though.

On another note...got my GoPro and now I'm filming random Jeep vids.
My exact set up. If he got the x-flex tell him to watch out for the control arm bushings. Mine are shot after three months and maybe 4 days of wheeling. I netted 5.5 and still am sitting at 5.5 after adding bumpers.

#729 ·
Here is a good deal on a front locker for someone. I know several people including myself that run them and abuse them with no problems. Not to bad to instal either. Best upgrade I have done to my Jeep to date.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/ptd/3169576054.html

On a side note, if I can get someone to trade shifts at work for Saturday then I'll be at the cookout.

#736 ·
Just signed up on the jeep fill the streets FB page.... will be with my wife and son in our JKU (stock :(). Are folks planning on meeting before hand still?
Nice. Im sure there will be a lot of people coming, much more than the page reflects. My JKU is bringing 4 or 5 plus my dog!

We talked about it, but it passed over as far as I know. If anyone wants to meet me, I'll be coming up the parkway from hobbs rd. We could meet at the Walmart near Chick-fil-a???

#735 ·
256ChiliPepper said:
Here is a good deal on a front locker for someone. I know several people including myself that run them and abuse them with no problems. Not to bad to instal either. Best upgrade I have done to my Jeep to date.

http://huntsville.craigslist.org/ptd/3169576054.html

On a side note, if I can get someone to trade shifts at work for Saturday then I'll be at the cookout.
If it's still for sale when I get back I will check it out. Although, that guy's spelling makes me cringe.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using JeepForum

#739 ·
My Jeep won't be making it unless I get my stuff finished up this week (not likely). My friend helping me is swamped with stuff, and we have some progress to make...

#741 ·
BamaJeepman21 said:
2001. Already told him about the head cracking issues. He seems to have a lifter tick that the mechanic told him it was a cracked intake manifold. I call bs on that. I told him he needs to Seafoam it and see what happens.
The biggest problem with lifting the newer xjs without a sye is the tailshaft housing design on the later model 231s are alot more prone to vibrations and ujoint failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.