Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Anyone from Huntsville, AL???

208K views 3K replies 94 participants last post by  jeepsarecool 
#1 ·
Just as the title askes, anyone nearby with some offroad spots? I have one down the parkway under the overpass at the TN River!

#608 ·
256ChiliPepper said:
But why wast that time and money. You learn to make multipoint turns very effectively with a front locker, or you just use 2 hi. I love my front locker, it made the world of difference in my Jeep. To be completely honest with you, i rarely turn on my rear locker, most the time Im over half way up something before someone remind me to turn it on. Come Saturday and I will show you how much more it actually helps then just a rear.
Awesome. I've never owned a vehicle with a locker. Only driven one once and it was geared so low the entire experience was overwhelming.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using JeepForum

#609 ·
ok, should have my YJ up and running tomorrow. Just need to put the steering column back in it and connect all the wiring and put front clip and seats and rollbar back in it....man this thing is high now. I am now shopping for some new or used 15x10 black steel rims and 35x12.5 tires. If anyone has a good hook up or has anything, let me know.......

Thanks,

Scott

P.S.- As I said I should have it running tomorrow, any wheeling going on this weekend???? An I see all the talk about meeting up and such, you guys do not forget about us Decatur folks......lol

Here is a pic after putting the new tub on (and the 4" suspension lift + 1" body lift), but since this pic, I have transferred the wiring harnesses and dashboard and all that good stuff.......just like I said, all I lack is finishing.....lol

Attachments

#611 ·
256ChiliPepper said:
Ill be there. Ill have to leave around 3-3:30ish.

Hollytree Off-Road July 7th (meet 8:30 at Hardeys in Gurly)
1.) SuthrnTJ & lifesaflaw in 97 TJ
2.) Bama_WJ 01 WJ
3.) 94 YJ
4.) ?? XJ
5.) ?? TJ
6.)256Chilipepper in a TJ

On a side note, RCRC meeting was good tonight, several new guests. Some plans for a lot more rides this fall.
They are monthly meetings right? I'm seriously thinking of joining up.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using JeepForum

#612 ·
Hollytree Off-Road July 7th (meet 8:30 at Hardee's in Gurly)
2.) Bama_WJ 01 WJ
3.) 94 YJ
4.) ?? XJ
5.) ?? TJ

Oh yeah.. I'll probably have to leave by 12:30 - 1:00 myself.. You guys are talking about the Hardee's right off of Hwy 72 East correct!?

#615 ·
There's a slim chance I'll make it Saturday. If I can, I'll see y'all at Hardee's.

Copied this off JKO

Bring your Jeeps over to Hollytree Off-Road and check out the trails
Hollytree Off-Road (North Alabama near Gurley, PaintRock, Princeton, Trenton)
Grand Opening
July 7, 2012
9:00A.M.
Activities Include: Rock Crawling, Trail Riding, Mudd Pits, Whoop Section, and much much more!
Live Entertainment Begins @ Dark
12 Miles North Band
Concessions will be available
visit www.hollytreeoffroad.com for more information

Hollytree Offroad Trailer - YouTube
found another clip

#619 ·
im in for Hollytree as well. Meeting some folks just east of HSV on Hwy 72 at Wendys at 0815, then we will linkup with you all at Hardees.

#622 ·
Hollytree Off-Road July 7th (meet 8:30 at Hardee's in Gurly)
2.) Bama_WJ 01 WJ
3.) 94 YJ
4.) ?? XJ
5.) Dead_End TJ
7.) Denny2565
8.) Denny Friend
9.) usanoe
10-12.) usanoe friends

Heck yeah guys! Looks like a fun crowd!! I've been hearing about a lot of other LARGE groups coming tomorrow also! I'll most likely end up breaking something even though i'm going to try not to! See y'all there in the morning! Looks like i'll have 2 people riding with me also!

Update: So I put those new shocks on my Jeep in place of the worn out ones and it feels like i'm driving a WHOLE new TJ!! It even fixed my death wobble problem! Also fixed my winch (aka kinda sketchy but will definitely work) so we're set!!

EDIT: Gonna put the Gopro on the charge and probably have another one going with us.. so it's going to be pretty good!

#631 ·
Hollytree Pics

Had a great time today at hollytree. Theyve only been cutting trails for the past 6 weeks so not a bad start. Only a couple of trails where you have to pick your line so far. Owner says he has additional land on other side of the road he hasnt even started on. Will be open all year. Expect to see a day in near future where he will open the park with no admission to get feedback from those that show up. Mud pits for those so inclined. A few trail for custom rock crawlers only. TRail maps being developed but werent ready for todays opening.

Attachments

#632 ·
I'll get my pictures up this evening. I didn't end up getting many since SuthrnTJ and I started horsing around and I didn't want my camera out. I still have mud in my teeth! Overall I'll give that place a "meh" on quality based on the quantity of trails. There's fun to be had, just not a lot of it.

I'll give it a big thumbs down for the fun to cost ratio. I might go back out there if it was $10 entry MAX.

michael, I wasn't able to catch back up with you but I still got those shafts. I think I remember you saying you go to calhoun. I work like 2 minutes from there so I can meet you whenever.

#633 ·
The place just needs more time, IMO. I guess you can't expect much out of a brand new park. It was decent for what it was, but not at all worth the $20.

Some things you guys (Hollytree Offroad) need work on:
  • When you tell someone that the trails are two way, actually MAKE them two way. The MAIN trails need to be wide enough for 2 rigs that have full width axles. I can understand if some of the trails that may branch off of the main trail are not all that wide.
  • The one trail y'all have that's in or out (which I consider the main trail) needs to be toned down a bit. The main trail should be used as a quick route to get to other [harder] trails. The one trail up beats you to death.
  • I know this will come with time, but loop trails back on each other or to other trails. I think we spent more time stopped or trying to back up a line of 10+ rigs than any other thing today. And let me tell you, trying to navigate that at the dead end of a trail gets old...very fast.
  • There needs to be some sort of trail difficulty system implemented. It can be colors, classes 1 to 5, symbols (bunny to black diamonds)...it really don't matter. Y'all just need something posted at the head of the trail or on the map that says it's THIS easy/hard and maybe some recommendations as to whether a rig should have lockers, winch, armor/cage, big (35"+) mud terrains, etc.
  • From what I saw at the park, there seemed to be a large gap in difficulty IMO. I made it up all the trails I pointed the Jeep at and I'm on bald 31s, no armor and a rear locker. The rest of the stuff looked to be suited more for someone with large tires (like 37s) or full on tube buggies. For example, have a trail system set up for stock to 33s, 33s to 37s and 37+ (or some variation of that format).
  • Give the ATVs/SidexSides their own section of the park and the trucks their own section of the park. Maybe it's just me, but I think its annoying when ATVs and/or sidexsides come running along the trail trying to squeeze through the already tight trails (see above: not really two way trails).

That's what I can think of right now. I know a lot of that will come with time and money, but maybe its something to get y'all thinking.

I'll get to uploading some pictures later.

#636 · (Edited)
Hey this is Kas with the deep cherry red JK, it was good to meet all you guys today. I got some of my pics and videos uploaded on JKowners.com but I'm on my mobile now and don't feel like trying to find the links now. I'll edit later with them. It looks like the 10 minute video of the tj climbing the "locker required" trail messed up, but i've got some video editing software I'm working on it with. Hopefully I'll get it uploaded this weekend.

Edit: added a few pics

#639 ·
What happened to y'all? When we came back down Greg (green two door jk) and I played on that little rock pile and y'all disappeared. We met with some people that knew the land and they pointed us tword a fun creek bed. When we looped around to it we saw yallsitting by the mud wholes, but you didn't follow us. We had lunch and the food was good. We found a bunch of trails off to the right that were a nice challenge. We talked with the owner Russ, and he is a very nice guy and has the right attitude to make this park great. More trails need to be cut, and a map would be nice. I would go back in a few months.

Sorry, I didn't catch up with you to gets the driveshafts. We will work something out.

We should plan a trip to Hale. I know that park very well, and there is enough for everyone to have a blast.

#640 ·
Had a great time today. It started off slow with the dead ends, but definitely picked up once we got away from the property line. For six weeks of preparation, the guys there did some good work, but like any park, there's always room for improvement. I would have stayed longer, but my wrist was really starting to seriously hurt towards the afternoon. When I left, I was having to put my jeep in gear with my left hand because I couldn't push the button in and pull the shifter down with my right. Last night my cat got her foot caught up in a fence and while I was trying to get her free, she flipped out and decided to use my wrist as a chew toy. Then there's the stings on my leg that I got today when I stepped on that bee's nest.

Anyway, I didn't get many pictures and the ones I got weren't very good, but here they are anyway.

This guy's passenger was looking pretty tense when he was straddling the ditch. Wish I could have seen her face when he put it on it's side.

Here's the Lexus we picked up along the way. I was pretty impressed with what it could do on those 37" MTRs.

And the youtube clip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.