Anyone from Huntsville, AL??? - Page 151 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > Anyone from Huntsville, AL???

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #2251
aintnofogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7
Iron Gap, Saturday.
Where's iron gap?

aintnofogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:25 PM   #2252
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintnofogie

Where's iron gap?
Tn.
Unread 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #2253
aintnofogie

lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintnofogie View Post
Where's iron gap?
I just purchased a new bumper for my TJ and am wondering what kind of lights to put on it. Im looking at LED but not sure which are best. Anybody got any advice?
aintnofogie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #2254
swill72
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256ChiliPepper View Post
I love solving death wobble. I cant even count the number of times I have done this.
1) Torque every nut and bolt in your suspension for slack.
2) Make sure all your tires all have the same air pressure.
3) Have some one turn the wheel back and forth between 11 and 1, and look for slack in the tiered ends and ball joints. Also check track bar and control arms (if applicable) Also check your steering box for play at this step. The sector shaft going into the box should not wiggle around at all.
4) Lift the front tires off the ground one side at a time and grab the wheel top and bottom 12 and 6, and rock up and down. If theres play, your unit bearings or hub bearings are bad, or need to be tightened.
5) Get your tires balanced. I recommend the stick on weights that go inside the wheels because they are harder to knock off. If they have to put some ridiculous amount of weight on them, tell them to dismount the tire, spin it 180 degrees, and remount and try again. (places should do this, but they might hate you) If you have bigger then 35s, Balancing beads are an option.
6) Get an alignment. Camber is not adjustable but should be 0. Caster should be between 5-7 degrees. Toe should be about 2-3 degrees toed in (pidgin toed)
7) If you haven't solved it by checking everything, Ill be happy to take a look at it for you.
1. Check
2. Check
3. Lot's of play in the tie rods and drag link.
4. New bearings and ball joints placed in axle
5. Tires have had tread scraped off from PO trying to create better offroad grip. Therefore tires will not balance. I knew this when I got the axles and tires, but figured I would just get new tires later.
6. Need allignment for sure, after ball joints and all installed.
7. So now that I have learned more about it, I figure the out of balance tires starts the wobble, then the loose front end parts gets it into full blown wobble.

my hopefully solution is that I ordered flat top knuckles for the ford D44's today and I will order the high steer arms tomorrow. So I will then convert it to full high steer and replace the rods and drag link. Now I have to decide what ends to use, tie rods or heim joints? Any suggestions? Last but not least I will have to replace the tires, the 35" tires look so small now with the height, so now I am thinking 37" tires Instead........I can go bigger than that obviously, but I only have 15x10 wheels and I do not want to go to big.....since I want to keep it road worthy. But I think these things will fix the wobble........don't you? Oh and of course alignment at the end......
20131101_164637-1-.jpg

Last edited by swill72; 11-04-2013 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: got pic to finally add
swill72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #2255
swill72
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyt View Post
Yep, that was the TJ we bought, the PO had swerved to miss a small child at a gas station and crinkled the fender and bent the bumper.
Wow thats cool. Been seeing that jeep out there a few weeks. Hope you enjoy it!!!!!
Unread 11-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #2256
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

OK, got a 2013 jku and looking to get a decent bumper for winch. Looking for any feedback or suggestions. I would like to keep price reasonable as some of these bumpers are outrageous. I've seen the bestop narrow stubby for under $300...but not sure on look and quality. Thanks!
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #2257
spbarone
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
OK, got a 2013 jku and looking to get a decent bumper for winch. Looking for any feedback or suggestions. I would like to keep price reasonable as some of these bumpers are outrageous. I've seen the bestop narrow stubby for under $300...but not sure on look and quality. Thanks!
I would check Rusty's. I got an awesome bumper from them last week and they are semi-local. Unfortunately you missed their overstock sale.
spbarone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #2258
256ChiliPepper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill72 View Post
1. Check
2. Check
3. Lot's of play in the tie rods and drag link.
4. New bearings and ball joints placed in axle
5. Tires have had tread scraped off from PO trying to create better offroad grip. Therefore tires will not balance. I knew this when I got the axles and tires, but figured I would just get new tires later.
6. Need allignment for sure, after ball joints and all installed.
7. So now that I have learned more about it, I figure the out of balance tires starts the wobble, then the loose front end parts gets it into full blown wobble.

my hopefully solution is that I ordered flat top knuckles for the ford D44's today and I will order the high steer arms tomorrow. So I will then convert it to full high steer and replace the rods and drag link. Now I have to decide what ends to use, tie rods or heim joints? Any suggestions? Last but not least I will have to replace the tires, the 35" tires look so small now with the height, so now I am thinking 37" tires Instead........I can go bigger than that obviously, but I only have 15x10 wheels and I do not want to go to big.....since I want to keep it road worthy. But I think these things will fix the wobble........don't you? Oh and of course alignment at the end......
I had a good feeling it was worn out parts and out of balance tires.

Tierod end you can source from a parts house of your choice, mind you that you have to have a reamer to be ale to have the wholes in your knuckle tapered. Heims, just get good ones from Ruffstuff or QA1. Don't forget the safety washers too. And have a spare heim or two, just incase you break one.

Id pop the beads of the tires and put some airsoft BBs in them. That should help the balance issue.

You can run the 35s for a while while you look for some good 37s. You could probably find some half tread ones.
256ChiliPepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #2259
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerJammerJP View Post
If Jeff doesn't take em I could use em. My jeep made friends with a tree last time out and I gotta replace the left.

Or if he only needs the right...

Haven't heard anything from him. Just let me know.

As for Stony Lonesome, they have REALLY grown that park since I was last there. Lots of good climbs and descents. Mud can be found if that is your poison (not for me). Not as many rocks, but combine some with gullies and such and it can get interesting. Our group hit a lot of good obstacles during the jamboree this past weekend down in Cullman.

I have our tracks recorded on my GPS so I can take my wife to some of the obstacles at some point. We even managed to go up AND down GutBuster with fairly new wheelers - they were THAT good! Hit up Powderpuff, Three Kings, Switchback, and several other runs on the second day.

A few pics... though none really show the steepness of the climbs. That doesn't even show up in my GoPro videos.

A fellow JF'er...

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #2260
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbarone View Post

I would check Rusty's. I got an awesome bumper from them last week and they are semi-local. Unfortunately you missed their overstock sale.
Thanks for input. I'm thinking bout a JCR mid width.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #2261
broach70
1985 CJ7 

While we are on the subject, probably will be selling my front BTF Bumper and sliders off my CJ here soon. I'm needing a new facelift. Anyone of interest let me know.
broach70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:59 AM   #2262
RammerJammerJP
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane View Post
Thanks for input. I'm thinking bout a JCR mid width.
I had a JCR rear with tire carrier for my JK. Loved it, great bumper, looking at them for my TJ now.
RammerJammerJP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #2263
swill72
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Before I list these anywhere else. I have a set of waggy 44's that I am selling now, since I went with the 9" rear and HD D44 front. Anyone interested?
Unread 11-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #2264
broach70
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swill72 View Post
Before I list these anywhere else. I have a set of waggy 44's that I am selling now, since I went with the 9" rear and HD D44 front. Anyone interested?
How much?
broach70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2013, 09:59 PM   #2265
Insane
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RammerJammerJP View Post

I had a JCR rear with tire carrier for my JK. Loved it, great bumper, looking at them for my TJ now.
JCR has big sale right now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.