Anyone from Huntsville, AL??? - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Alabama Jeep Forum > Anyone from Huntsville, AL???

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-22-2012, 08:50 AM   #211
Redcrazzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=lifesaflaw123;13282050]I've lifted several vehicles before, just not a jeep. So I won't be absolutely lost. I'll chalk it up as another learning experience. I've been soaking all the bolts that will be removed in pb blaster since yesterday so hopefully that will help out.

Nice, I just installed my Currectlync HD steering system last night...It was a PITA. Check my build thread for some pics of my Rubi. Nice to see all these HSV people getting involved.

[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]RED HULK BUILD--->[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-hulk-build-1343871/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-hulk-build-1343871/[/URL][/SIZE]
I need mo money
[SIZE="5"][B][COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB #757[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]
[SIZE="5"][B][U][COLOR="Blue"]SUPPORT[COLOR="White"] OUR[COLOR="Red"] TROOPS[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE]
[QUOTE=Monster747;13003951]I am running 37" with 3.07 gearing no issue on highway and excellent offroad.[/QUOTE]
Redcrazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #212
Redcrazzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=SuthrnTJ;13281188] So what's up! I'm also another yota owner! She's my baby though!

Here's my DD... You guys might have seen it around...

2007 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab 6-Speed Manual with a lot of mods!

QUOTE]

That's a sick looking Yota. I really like the yota trucks.
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]RED HULK BUILD--->[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE="2"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-hulk-build-1343871/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/red-hulk-build-1343871/[/URL][/SIZE]
I need mo money
[SIZE="5"][B][U][COLOR="Blue"]SUPPORT[COLOR="White"] OUR[COLOR="Red"] TROOPS[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B][/SIZE]
[QUOTE=Monster747;13003951]I am running 37" with 3.07 gearing no issue on highway and excellent offroad.[/QUOTE]
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:02 AM   #213
lifesaflaw123
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrazzy View Post
Nice, I just installed my Currectlync HD steering system last night...It was a PITA. Check my build thread for some pics of my Rubi. Nice to see all these HSV people getting involved.
Pretty stout jeep you got there. Don't let kyle (suthrntj) see it in person. He's easily influenced when it comes to modifying vehicles lol.

hell, I showed him a youtube video of a bad *** xj and bam, he has a tj the next day haha.

I guess since he posted a picture of his truck I might as well post one of my old truck.

lifesaflaw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #214
Redcrazzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
Pretty stout jeep you got there. Don't let kyle (suthrntj) see it in person. He's easily influenced when it comes to modifying vehicles lol.

hell, I showed him a youtube video of a bad *** xj and bam, he has a tj the next day haha.

I guess since he posted a picture of his truck I might as well post one of my old truck.

Good looking truck, I need to get a yota truck one day. I really want a diesel truck too. But my jeep takes priority.
I need mo money
Unread 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #215
SuthrnTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Pretty much! I would have gotten an XJ but my dad had this TJ sitting waiting for repair and now I'm the owner and all I have to do is fix it..

So what did you TJ guys do about the Auto Tanny over heating problem and the torque converter slipping.. I've heard it could be my Transmission clutches internally when they heat up they slip.. The jeep works fine when its cold but once you get it good and warm it just feels like its in neutral with it catching every now any then..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcrazzy View Post
Good looking truck, I need to get a yota truck one day. I really want a diesel truck too. But my jeep takes priority.
Do what you got to do man. Your baby comes first!
SuthrnTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #216
sixty5vdub

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthrnTJ View Post
Pretty much! I would have gotten an XJ but my dad had this TJ sitting waiting for repair and now I'm the owner and all I have to do is fix it..
So what did you TJ guys do about the Auto Tanny over heating problem and the torque converter slipping.. I've heard it could be my Transmission clutches internally when they heat up they slip.. The jeep works fine when its cold but once you get it good and warm it just feels like its in neutral with it catching every now any then..
First choice (obviously) would be a rebuild of the transmission.
Band-Aid choice would be to add an additional transmission cooler. And, I have had good results in the past with Lucas Oil products. Their "No Slip" transmission additive stopped some minor slippage I had on my old ZJ, a couple of years back. Temporary fix, though. Lasted about a year or so, before slippage was back.
Maybe look around the local junk yards or on-line for a nice, low mileage transmission?

AMP
sixty5vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #217
SuthrnTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well here is the pictures.. i was mistaken.. its not a Sahara.. its a sport.

My new toy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post
First choice (obviously) would be a rebuild of the transmission.
Band-Aid choice would be to add an additional transmission cooler. And, I have had good results in the past with Lucas Oil products. Their "No Slip" transmission additive stopped some minor slippage I had on my old ZJ, a couple of years back. Temporary fix, though. Lasted about a year or so, before slippage was back.
Maybe look around the local junk yards or on-line for a nice, low mileage transmission?

AMP
Well i agree about the band aid dix but id rather fix it for good.. but the problem with finding a junkyard transmission with low miles is i dont want to replace it with the same transmission thats in it.. Will the 03 - 06 transmission work? Or which transmission doesn't have an over heating problem that will work?

Last edited by SuthrnTJ; 03-23-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Unread 03-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #218
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

--snip--

Well i agree about the band aid dix but id rather fix it for good.. but the problem with finding a junkyard transmission with low miles is i dont want to replace it with the same transmission thats in it.. Will the 03 - 06 transmission work? Or which transmission doesn't have an over heating problem that will work?

The fact that it is a Sport, not a Sahara is a plus in my book. The transmission out of the 03 - 06 will probably bolt up fine. However, there maybe other issues such as dealing with onboard computer, electrical connections, and finding a Crank Sensor that will work. The 97-03 automatics were pretty good from my understanding and the overheating issues you speak of deal with the 2007 and newer (JK), and the older transmissions that were in YJ's (pre 1995).

I'd rebuild what you have, or swap to a AX-15....

I hope the tie down system you used was used to haul that Jeep home only a few miles.... that is just scary......
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #219
lifesaflaw123
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i'd go with ax15.
lifesaflaw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #220
sixty5vdub

Quote:
Straight looking TJ. That is a hell of a crash bar on the front of that thing ...........

Is that some sort of aftermarket two-piece hardtop?
sixty5vdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #221
BamaJeepman21
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Do what you got to do man. Your baby comes first!

The 32RH is definitely worth rebuilding. It's really a bulletproof tranny. Once it's rebuilt just add a Derale tranny cooler for $300.

You do NOT want to put a 42rle in there. That trannys a nightmare for a lot of people. Matter of fact I don't think it could be done in an older Wrangler.

So take the 32rh, pay a grand to rebuild it, add tranny cooler, be happy for another 200,000 miles

OR

Pay more money for a AX-15, swap the PCM...bla bla bla.

-Jack
BamaJeepman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 08:33 PM   #222
SuthrnTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
The fact that it is a Sport, not a Sahara is a plus in my book. The transmission out of the 03 - 06 will probably bolt up fine. However, there maybe other issues such as dealing with onboard computer, electrical connections, and finding a Crank Sensor that will work. The 97-03 automatics were pretty good from my understanding and the overheating issues you speak of deal with the 2007 and newer (JK), and the older transmissions that were in YJ's (pre 1995).

I'd rebuild what you have, or swap to a AX-15....

I hope the tie down system you used was used to haul that Jeep home only a few miles.... that is just scary......
You can't see it in the last picture but we also used tractor chain ratchet to hold it down.

Thanks for the advice! I would do the AX-15 swap because I know that's a lot cheaper but.. I really want an Automatic. I have a 6-speed now and it's really annoying off roading and always having to feather your clutch with the risk of burning it up.. I'd rather just put it in drive and go! LOL!

Quote:
i'd go with ax15.
yeah yeah..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post
Straight looking TJ. That is a hell of a crash bar on the front of that thing ...........

Is that some sort of aftermarket two-piece hardtop?
I didn't realize it was after market but yes, it has like a targa top style that mounts just over the front seats..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaJeepman21 View Post
The 32RH is definitely worth rebuilding. It's really a bulletproof tranny. Once it's rebuilt just add a Derale tranny cooler for $300.

You do NOT want to put a 42rle in there. That trannys a nightmare for a lot of people. Matter of fact I don't think it could be done in an older Wrangler.

So take the 32rh, pay a grand to rebuild it, add tranny cooler, be happy for another 200,000 miles

OR

Pay more money for a AX-15, swap the PCM...bla bla bla.
^^^ That's it! PERFECT information!! That's the expensive route but the way you put it was perfect! Looks like I have an expensive road ahead for the bullet proof route.. Like you said though... one and done..

Time to start saving and doing research..
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #223
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can't see it in the last picture but we also used tractor chain ratchet to hold it down.

--snip--

I was actually talking about the winch line as the front tie down.
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:02 AM   #224
SuthrnTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

^^^ it wasnt very far.. but i'd hope if its rated at so much weight that it could handle a mere couple hundred pounds of down pressure for a little bit. It worked..
Unread 03-24-2012, 08:21 AM   #225
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
^^^ it wasnt very far.. but i'd hope if its rated at so much weight that it could handle a mere couple hundred pounds of down pressure for a little bit. It worked..
I am not trying to bust your chops or anything. I understand the short haul (hopefully at low speeds), and having to make due with what you have at the time. However, there are several issues that should raise red flags for someone who doesn't know better, sees your pics, and thinks this is an acceptable tie down system..

A winch cable should never be hooked onto itself.

I use a 4 point die down system that includes a 10K ratchet strap and "T" hook at each corner. My trailer has D rings welded to it in the exact locations I need them. Guys will debate the criss cross theory, or that chains are better than straps, etc., etc., but I have hauled the Little Jeep for thousands and thousands of miles and figured out what works best for me. My tie down system maybe over kill, but so far, through sudden stops, a trailer tire blow out, and all these miles driven in all kinds of weather, the Little Jeep has remained secured in place.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.