JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Florida Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f333/)
-   -   Pensacola Florida area trail ride (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f333/pensacola-florida-area-trail-ride-1373472/)

tjtrucker 05-26-2012 06:17 AM

Pensacola Florida area trail ride

I'm going on a trail ride up in the perdido river area (Pensacola Florida-Robertsdale Alabama) on sunday or monday this Memorial Day weekend, if anyone wants to ride along, PM me.

b_a_mech 05-26-2012 06:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dang! Wish I was gonna be in town. I live over in Navarre. Maybe next time

Attachment 403719

tjtrucker 05-26-2012 07:27 AM

Nice rig you've got there!! Sure, I try to go a couple times a month- some where. Have you been on the Eglin range trails above Navarre? I'd like to get a a permit and check out the trails on the range sometime, (I hear camping is allowed out there too.)

tjtrucker 05-26-2012 07:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

b_a_mech 05-26-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjtrucker
Here's mine

I've got to go get my pass for eglin. I've been out there to rescue friends but never just to explore. I need to get out more! I like those rims on your ride.

tjtrucker 05-26-2012 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b_a_mech (Post 13627537)
I've got to go get my pass for eglin. I've been out there to rescue friends but never just to explore. I need to get out more! I like those rims on your ride.

Thanks! Dick Cepek DC2's 15x8"

loganm 05-31-2012 11:00 AM

I from Hattiesburg, Ms about a 3hr drive to pensacola. I've started my own club and looking new places to ride. We have 2 or 3 alright places around here but would like to venture out for a weekend. Any ideas guys?

tjtrucker 06-02-2012 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loganm (Post 13650759)
I from Hattiesburg, Ms about a 3hr drive to pensacola. I've started my own club and looking new places to ride. We have 2 or 3 alright places around here but would like to venture out for a weekend. Any ideas guys?

It's funny I just drove through Hattiesburg yesterday (Local Truckdriver) while out on my deliveries, and I'm always looking for trails to explore. It seems like there would be alot of places to ride between Hattiesburg and Citronel.

Also, I noticed Camp Shelby, Paul B. Johnson State Forest, Desoto National Park, Red Creek Wild Life Management Area, and some trails around the Perk River all within a few miles of each other on US 49 just south of Hattiesburg. Are any of those a possibility?

tjtrucker 06-02-2012 06:50 AM

Here's the directions and info to local place where I ride. I just copied/pasted it from another forum that I posted it on. It's a fun place after a good few days of rain, right now it's very dusty, and not very challenging but there's enough trails to explore and there are several sand bars to hang out on by the river. (no camping allowed on the trails, but you can camp at Styx River Resort, or the River Roost RV/Camp)

Along the Alabama hwy 112/Florida hwy184- it's the same road it's just called different #'s in either state. Go to Mapquest.com type in Cantonment Florida, you'll see that Hwy 184 in a rectangular box it runs through Cantonement east/west. get up there anyway you want. On hwy 184 there's the state line bridge going west. Just b4 the bridge on the left you'll see a tall narrow sign stating "Perdido Water Mngmt area", (I went out there after it had rained for a few days straight and it was fun, but after it dried out there wasn't much to it.) it's on the same hwy going west but when you cross the river in Alabama it turns to hwy 112, zoom the mapquest map in till you see Champion paper rd, and Moreno LN on the Lt then you'll see "River Rd" on your Rt (turn there), then just print your mapquest map for reference if you want. Tell me how it goes afterwards. they're both free- open to 4x4 vehicals but not ATVs or Motorcycles.

If you're coming from anywhere in Baldwin county or from Mobile- get to exit 53 the Wilcox Rd/County Rd 64 off of I-10 go north past the Oasis truck stop, there's two ways to go from here: you can stay on the county road 64 go all the till it runs into Hwy 112 then turn Rt and follow it to River Road, it's shortly after Ray's Rd (which will also take you to the trails) and yesterday I noticed the River Road sign had been thieved, so it may just be easier to take Ray's Rd the first time. Turn Lt and follow to the trails. if you take Ray's Rd follow it to a T on the trail turn left and follow that trail you will come up on a long area where a creek crosses the trail, the trail has been fortified with river rock so that you can cross without getting stuck. (The majority of the trails are to the Right of Ray's Rd). In other places some of the trails have also been fortified, but others have not. There's also a "Mud Meadow area" that is fun after a good rain.

The other way is shorter and more pleasent (to me), take the exit 53 go north past the truck stop, there will be a small bridge crossing Styx river, shortly after that there's "Linholm Rd" on the Rt, (you will see a yellow sign for the River Roost, it's a small bar/RV site on Styx river) Turn Rt. Linholm Rd is a dirt road with alot of curves and some hills and a small one lane wooden bridge (you will see more of these wooden briges on the trails- go slow) follow Linholm till it dead-ends into County Rd 87 turn left (north) follow that to Hwy 112, turn Rt (east) follow that to Ray's Rd turn left same as above. If you take this way back to I-10, as you're going south on Hwy 87 to find Linholm Rd, you'll see two roads that say Seed Orchard Rd on your Lt, then about 3/4 of a mile look for a Left curve road sign Linholm is just after that sign on th Right.

There are 2 types of signs out on the trails yellow and orange, yellow is no hunting or hunting dogs, orange is no motorized vehicals. There are plenty of trails without orange signs that are fun to go on, and several sand bars areas for swimming and tanning, one of the sand bars is only accessible by 4x4 jeeps (or a long walk). In other places some of the trails have been fortified, but others have not. There's also a "Mud Meadow area" around the Windmill Rd trail. Personally I think the trails are better after a good rain. (it was very dusty last weekend)

Going the "Linholm Rd way" it's about 8 miles to the trails, from the I-10 exit. If you're on the trails and runnin' low on fuel or didn't top off at the truck stop, follow the trail back out to Hwy 112, turn Lt, follow that across the state line bridge, it will turn into Hwy 184, a couple miles after the bridge there will be a small Texaco gas station on the Rt. Also if you're into canoeing, tubing- Adventures Unlimited is down close to the State Line bridge, just turn Left (going east) on the first road after the bridge (In Florida).

loganm 06-02-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjtrucker (Post 13659958)
It's funny I just drove through Hattiesburg yesterday (Local Truckdriver) while out on my deliveries, and I'm always looking for trails to explore. It seems like there would be alot of places to ride between Hattiesburg and Citronel.

Also, I noticed Camp Shelby, Paul B. Johnson State Forest, Desoto National Park, Red Creek Wild Life Management Area, and some trails around the Perk River all within a few miles of each other on US 49 just south of Hattiesburg. Are any of those a possibility?

My dad has worked at camp Shelby for 27 years so I know of and have been down just about every trail since I was younger. It's not a big deal if we have two or three jeeps, but a whole club? I think would cause some issues. Camp Shelby is desoto land. I'm in the process of getting the right paper work to legally drive in desoto.

There's not much to Paul B that I know of. I have been there alot traditional camping and didnt see and trails.

Never heard of Perk River I'll have to look into that. I see alot of trails around Poplarville. But I believe it's all private hunting land but its worth looking into. Also one of our members buys and sells lumber so he gets aroun alot of land he's been looking and asking for us.

Also there's a place called Porter Lane in Florence, Ms! Is that one location above post? I'll have to look into it.

tjtrucker 06-02-2012 07:43 PM

Thanks for all the info, if I can talk the wife into some camping out your way, mind if I get back with you about some decent trail riding areas, that you've already checked out?

loganm 06-02-2012 11:16 PM

No problem at all man just let me know. We having a meeting in about a week and going on a trail ride some where this month. I don't know about this month or next month but I wanna BBQ one week end at Paul B. where exactly is perk river? Camping there?

tjtrucker 06-04-2012 06:32 PM

Thanks, It was south of the other parks on 49 on the left as you're going south. before you cross hwy 26. yes they had camping there.

loganm 06-04-2012 07:45 PM

I'll have to find out if there are any trails there. We gonna try to go to a park in Necaise this year. Close to poplarville. I've never been but we have a guy that has and he said its awesome!

tjtrucker 06-05-2012 06:12 PM

Let us know how the trails are at the Necaise Park, and if there is camping there too.

The time now is 12:43 PM.