Ocala National Forest 3-13-10 - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Florida Jeep Forum > Ocala National Forest 3-13-10

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

OSYJ93 Are you taking the lead ?

jampop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM   #32
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

What time are we planning to meet up?
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #33
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If yall want me to lead thats fine, I'll do my best to keep us off the paint polishin trails . I'll have to start carrying my loppers with me . You guys decide on what time you want to be there. It'll take me about 45 mins to get to Altoona from my house.
OSYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

meet at 10:30 or head out at 10:30?
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:18 PM   #35
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

im all for the paint polishing trails !!
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #36
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well I've got nothing to do right now....so I'll type some stuff.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sktr021 View Post
What time are we planning to meet up?
In post no. 13, the meet time of 10:30 am was suggested....no one so far has objected....the Kangaroo gas station in Altoona is frequently used as a jeep gather spot....it has a big parking area and is the dominant landmark of the Altoona crossroad.

State road 19 is the (35 to 60 mph) main line from south to north and state road 42 is a east-west two lane on the southern end of the forest. They intersect in a hamlet called Altoona. It's about 15 miles south of state road 40 on hwy 19, in case anyone comes from that direction. Mapquest.com or google earth will show you how to get there. The Kangaroo gas station is easy to find. It's a convenience store. They sell biscuit and egg sandwiches, hot dogs, sometimes fried chicken. There's another gas station across the street, but nothing else in Altoona. So stop before you get there if you're looking for a McDonalds or something. Depending on where you're coming from, there's nothing really for many miles around.

I asked my wife one last time for a free saturday, she didn't object. So I'm going to start planning for this. I'll be solo probably. I looked on-line and spring turkey hunt season starts march 20, so I don't think there'll be hunters to consider.

We could wander north during the ride so that folks from the north have the benefit of less travel when we're through. I don't care what trails we ride, but I enjoy the less traveled, tight trails. Scratches don't bother me, nor does water fording. Anyone who absolutely won't tolerate a little of that kind of thing might want to speak up before hand so we can talk a little about it. No need to feel bad about it, it just might be good to have it all out before someone drives a distance. And if you know your jeep overheats or something like that, we could discuss that too.

There's possible rain Friday, so that will knock some dust down and make some puddles for us. It should be better weather Saturday, so if you like your top down, no windows, etc....

I guess I'll pack a lunch. There's nothing but forest between Altoona in the south and Salt Springs in the north. But if people want a food break at a convenience store or something, we could talk about that too on the forum. North of s.r. 40 in Salt Springs, there's a small grocery and a few other businesses.

If we stop somewhere in the forest and children need to hit the bushes....shoes are better than flip-flops.

There are some very nice campgrounds scattered around. Juniper Springs is an example. It has a very large spring boil that creates a canoe run through a designated wilderness area. It has nice facilities and would be a good place to stop for a picnic if we have any children or wives who want a clean bathroom. But we'd have to pay a fee to drive in. Maybe $5, I don't remember. I've been there many times to camp and hike, so I don't care if we skip something like that. I only make the suggestion for those who are driving some distance and want to see some of what there is in the area. Salt Springs campground is also nice for similar reasons. There are also other campgrounds like Hopkins Prairie, that we could probably "visit" without paying a fee. Some are much nicer than others.

I'm happy to have a local like OSYJ93 step forward with some ideas. He knows more about our options than I do. Based on my experiences, there's nothing to worry about....just an occasional hidden meth lab and big 'ol florida spiders covering the trails.....

Just throwing some comments out here....

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
sktr021
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The spiders at ONF are HUGE!

I'm pretty much set on going, but it all depends on whether I get the U-Joints in the front driveshaft replaced and test it out before sat. rolls around. Sounds like a good time. How long do you guys plan on riding for?
sktr021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:08 PM   #38
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Im camping friday and saterday night, if anybody else is interested..finalizing my campground choice tomorrow, possible lake dorr since its really close to meetup point and other good stuff to do.
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #39
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

packing lunch, tight trails so so
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:21 AM   #40
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Slow86prix, if you wanna do some wheelin friday evening-night that would be fine with me. I'll send ya a PM. As for Saturday the meet up time sounds good to me as also the location. As Camper49 mentioned, there are numerous sites to visit. Visiting them all in one day is probably not gonna happen. Time will fly right on bye pretty quick once you get out in the trails wheelin with pit stops n such. This past weekend I rode out there & it was a little dusty but not bad. Having the top off would've been nice too. I didn't notice any deer or horse flies but there were sworms of lady bugs in various area's. They don't bite that I know of, they can be some what annoying tho when you drive thru a sworm of them & their crawling all on ya & in your rig . I try to brush them off with out hurting them. Don't want any bad luck . As for spiders, I didn't see any. These colder nights have kept them from getting out & putting up webs in the middle of the trails. I used to just love blowin down a trail at night back a few yrs ago on my quad & nailing spider after spider. It was awesome NOT!!! I DO NOT LIKE THEM!!! I have been bitten so many times by different spiders out there that I think I was actually becoming ammuned to them. Anyway, I might ride without my top depending on the weather.
OSYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:34 AM   #41
2DRBLUJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

that time and location for meetup are fine with me. that's actually where we met for the last trail ride i went on.

look forward to seeing you guys saturday
2DRBLUJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:25 AM   #42
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

well I've said too much already, but I may have assumed there were folks who had not been to the area before....jampop, I apologize if I was out of line. I looked at your forum profile. You have a well built jeep. Somehow I misinterpreted your first post to think you had never been up from Naples.

Is there anyone from the group that has never been riding in the Ocala forest?

Unread 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #43
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

.......me !
Unread 03-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #44
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

no problem all good, I have rode atv and camp both sides south and north
With the Jeep I only have gone south to north on the gasline / jeep trail and Delancy trails.
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #45
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow86prix View Post
.......me !
ha..ha..at least I wrote all that junk for somebody. I don't know why I was thinking I was a tour guide....

I have TJ friend from Georgia, north of Jacksonville who was asking about the ride. I've sent him a couple emails, but I'm not sure he gets them....(mike, I replied to your questions about campgrounds...did your email block me?)

So we may have another jeep if he decides to drive down.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.