Ocala National Forest 3-13-10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Florida Jeep Forum > Ocala National Forest 3-13-10

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ocala National Forest 3-13-10

anybody into ride the forest?

Last edited by jampop1; 02-24-2010 at 06:49 PM..
jampop1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:01 PM   #2
mcg311TJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampop1 View Post
anybody in to ride the forest?
With a Jeep set up like yours, ONF won't be much of a challenge. Really no challenge for front wheel drive cars anymore You every been to Hardrock in Ocala?
mcg311TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

No I just like to trail ride, I would like to wheel in north Ga. some day.
Unread 02-25-2010, 05:56 AM   #4
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I might be up for it. We'll have to see closer to the date. Little too far out to tell right now.
OSYJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
Texan4life77
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Would you guys be up for a ride at durhamtown this weekend east of ATL?
Texan4life77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'd be up for an ONF ride if I'm not working.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:23 AM   #7
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampop1 View Post
No I just like to trail ride, I would like to wheel in north Ga. some day.

I feel the same way....just poke along in woods.

In fairness to you if you've not been to the Ocala National Forest, it is just sand and scrub brush and pine trees. Some hidden ponds and prairies. Any routes off the main forest road grid will be the kind of trail that scrapes the wax/clearcoat off your paint. You can usually repair that with another coat of wax. But some people have a problem with that kind of trail. I have some canvas doors I use, so I don't mind the tight "rabbit trails".

The forest is easily accessible to locals and as the population has grown in central florida, there are more careless users. People dump their garbage, saturday night drinking and raising heck, some squatters....that kind of thing. So the forestry fellas have attempted to close some areas that have been popular over the years. They try to enforce the rules but it's a big forest. Still, you will see forestry employees when you ride there. So depending on your personal rules of behavior, you might be careful who you "join up with", if you don't want to risk a fine.

I belong to a local jeep club that follows the rules up there. We usually stop somewhere during a ride and pick up trash for an hour. And we stay on the currently legal trails. I do the same when I'm alone. It isn't a big deal.

Also, its a pretty good distance from Naples for a day ride. Probably 3 hours? And the forest is actually east of the city of Ocala.

Not trying to talk you out of anything....just so you have some information to consider.

On the other hand, you can pretty much be sure that you won't tear up your jeep....won't have to crawl up any rock formations. You don't need a modified jeep....just some good tires for sand. You can't really get stuck, unless you try to on purpose. So you can relax about getting home later. Occasionally a fallen pine tree to roll over. If there's been rain, you can find some water to roll through. The woods are peaceful and there are some interesting legal trails. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads and trails. It's free to use.

I built my jeep for moderate use and I live about an hour from the southern corner of the Ocala forest. With like-minded jeep friends, a trail ride there makes a nice day. A cb radio adds to the fun.

Post again in a few days if you still feel like driving up this way. I work some saturdays, but I might be interested in joining you.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan4life77 View Post
Would you guys be up for a ride at durhamtown this weekend east of ATL?
That would be a negative for me. It would cost me about tree-fitty in fuel. Have fun tho when ya go.
Unread 02-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I ride the ONF almost every weekend & sometimes after work during the week either in the jeep or on my dual sport. I usually just ease along taking in the scenery although I see it all the time. One of the advantages to being a local. There are plenty of good trails to ride down that won't hurt your paint & there are also lots of trails that will. Most of the time if the trail looks narrow, then it is. Sometimes there will be spots where it gets a little tighter on good open trails that might ketch your clear coat a little but you can get through it if your careful, or if you don't like it you can always back up & turn around 95% of the time. The Forestry Officers & Employees won't bother you as long as you stay on numbered roads whether main roads or trails. They are all labeled & if it's not, then you are on a nonpermitted road or trail. Obviously don't travel down any roads or trails that have a resticted sign posted or similar. Some of the numbered trails are seasonal & can be recognized by looking at the map of the ONF which you can print off the Foestry's web site. I'll see if I can post a link. As long as you aren't out there rooting up the wet area's you won't have anything to worry about. Like I said I ride there all the time & hardly ever do I see a forestry employee. Just ride on what is labelled & you'll be fine. I'm not into doing anything nobody wants to do. Oh & also, do not carry a firearm in your vehicle out there during closed gun season if you don't have a concealled weapons permit. They kinda frown on that . Some people like to ride in sand only & some like wet area's too. I personally like both. I can ride in the dry stuff & the wet stuff. You can ride there & never hit a puddle/waterhole & there are also area's where the numbered trails themselves are under water. Some shallow some deep. Some with large waterholes. Driving in or on any of these area's is permitted as long as you aren't rooting it up. Sure their are some who do root these area's & don't get caught & some do. Anyway, it can be a fun time for sure no matter how you roll & having a CB too is a major plus if your wheeling with another rig. There are also some pit/sink hole area's too you can wheel in that are open & not blocked off or posted. Now they might not be up to par with some of the extremist but it's something to add along with the whole deal.

This sucks, I'm ready to ride clyde. I just might have to go for a spin after work today .

Here's the link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/ocal....php?p=1.1.5.2

Last edited by OSYJ93; 02-25-2010 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Added link
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:33 PM   #10
jimmyzzer
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I might be in on this.I'm in the same club as camper9 and its great to be on trail ride with 30 jeeps but its more fun with 3-5 jeeps.
jimmyzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #11
camper49
1998 TJ Wrangler 

it'd be a pleasure to meet you sometime OSYJ93....also a native born son....grew up in orange groves.

I started visiting the forest as a camper and backpacker along the Florida Trail. My uncle was a Fla. Wildlife officer when I was young. He used to take me around some there. Didn't discover jeep fun til more recent years. I like to see the forest taken care of. I don't have a problem with the rules.

'98 TJ wrangler sport.....gunmetal blue
XJ d30/rubicon TJ d44...33's with popular suspension mods

want to read my build threads...they're long with lots of pictures
camper49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
OSYJ93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper49 View Post
it'd be a pleasure to meet you sometime OSYJ93....also a native born son....grew up in orange groves.

I started visiting the forest as a camper and backpacker along the Florida Trail. My uncle was a Fla. Wildlife officer when I was young. He used to take me around some there. Didn't discover jeep fun til more recent years. I like to see the forest taken care of. I don't have a problem with the rules.
Good deal, yeah I should be able to get in on this ride unless something comes up. For now I'm in.
Unread 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM   #13
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How about 10:30 am., south side or north side?
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:39 PM   #14
2DRBLUJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

any spots left?
2DRBLUJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 04:23 AM   #15
jampop1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

yes, you in? I will start a list.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.