Jacksonville Florida - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Florida Jeep Forum > Jacksonville Florida

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
mcavana
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Jacksonville Florida

I basicly have a stock jeep. I live by Jax Beach. is there ANYWHERE around here to get off the road other then hugonot???

Thanks,

Mike

mcavana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Yes. You can go out to Amelia Island State Park, access is $1 per person, you may see me there on any given weekend. You can also do some wheelin around Orange Park and Middleburg. Not sure where, though. And there's always ONF.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)

Last edited by WhiteMtnJeep; 05-12-2009 at 07:55 AM..
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

They let you wheel at Amelia Island park?????
Unread 05-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

My folks live in Fernandina Beach and I am hoping to drive my jeep down there in the fall so I am curious about this as well. I was just down there for shrimp fest the other weekend by the way. That was only my second time there since they moved down that way. Pretty cool area.
Unread 05-12-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't really call it wheelin, but there is a pretty good stretch of beach you can drive on. In town you can park on the beach at the east end of Sadler Rd, but parking is very limited. You can also drive on the beach at Peter's Point Park. Maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch, usually semi-crowded, kids and patrolled. At Amelia Island State Park you can drive on next to the bridge when you come onto the south end of the island on A1A, entrance is actually about 150 yards north of the bridge on the right. There is a drop box where you pay the fee to enter, $1 per person. From there it's about a mile to the ocean and you can still go about 3/4 mile or so along the beach from there. When you pull off the parking lot by the bridge there is a sign telling you that 4x4 is required, so there's usually not a huge crowd there. Sometimes it can be a little tuff to get across to the riverside as the spit can get VERY loose and there are some who try anyway and get stuck. (Mostly non 4x4 and I've pulled my fair share out, always for free) It's where the Nassau River enters the ocean, so the surf and inlet fishing is almost always very good. The Tarpon were hitting good this last Sunday. So come on out, bring your rods and look for me, I'm there often. BTW, It's also patrolled here as well, the county sherrif and the FWC ride by once in a while so you have to behave out there, no speeding or driving on the dunes, and you have to bring out what you bring in. There is a section of the beach that is also closed to vehicles, It is for nesting birds and is clearly marked. This is my TJ so you know who I am if you decide to come out.

Mike

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)

Last edited by WhiteMtnJeep; 05-12-2009 at 08:07 PM..
Unread 05-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sweet, the wife has been asking to go to the beach, so I may just hit that up one of these weekends. I'm in High Springs, not too far, but its still a drive.
Unread 05-13-2009, 06:18 AM   #7
VTJeePTJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds right about perfect to me. We went offshore fishing over the shrimp fest weekend and caught a pretty fair amount of snapper and grouper plus a couple small sharks and sea bass. I would love to surf fish down there. Unfortunately I did not bring my jeep this past time but I plan to on the next trip which hopefully will be soon. Heres my jeep in case you ever happen across me. Of course, the VA plates will probably give me away out there as well.

Unread 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #8
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice rig VTJeePTJ. I like the setup. happymudder10 I am planning on going out there this weekend, don't know which day yet. If you wanna come on out, let me know.

Mike

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #9
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It will probably be after Memorial Day Weekend, since we have some family coming down to visit starting this weekend, but I'll let you know when we go.
Unread 05-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds cool.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Dad03
1975 CJ5 

I lived in J-ville for over 30 years. There use to be great off road areas but developers took over (pre housing bust) and ended it. Last good spot was by the airport but its now called Rivercity Market Place (I think). I would look toward Yulee or Baker County. There are a few spots on 301 heading toward Gainesville that you pay to play type deal.

If you go to Hugonot Park watch the tides on the sands or you may be floating your jeep to dry land.
Dad03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2009, 08:49 AM   #12
happymudder10
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad03 View Post
I lived in J-ville for over 30 years. There use to be great off road areas but developers took over (pre housing bust) and ended it. Last good spot was by the airport but its now called Rivercity Market Place (I think). I would look toward Yulee or Baker County. There are a few spots on 301 heading toward Gainesville that you pay to play type deal.

If you go to Hugonot Park watch the tides on the sands or you may be floating your jeep to dry land.

Where exactly on 301 are there spots?
Unread 05-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #13
WhiteMtnJeep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Ask some of the locals around Nassau County and you will learn about some clay pits in Callahan. I'll ask at work tomorrow to see if I can get directions. Another good place where you used to be able to wheel that was closed is the old Imeson property just north of the jax zoo on Hecksher Dr. I loved it there, it was too bad to see it closed to the public.

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
Unread 05-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
danetaylor
2004 LJ Wrangler 

A bunch of people from Saint Augustine are going to Ocala/Hard Rock tomorrow (5-24-09). Shoot me an email if you are interested: jdanetaylor@gmail.com
Unread 05-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #15
madmax79
I'm Old Gregg!

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danetaylor View Post
A bunch of people from Saint Augustine are going to Ocala/Hard Rock tomorrow (5-24-09). Shoot me an email if you are interested: jdanetaylor@gmail.com

It should be sweet with all the rain we've had. Is everyone meeting somewhere to convoy down?

I'll try to make it but we have family in town. So I'll have to see what they want to do. Be sure to post pics in case I don't so I can show them what fun they would have had.

Early YJ Club, Member #1, Check out our group: Early YJ Club

Quote:
Epic adventures usually start with something like: "I was looking at a topo map..."
www.matanzasjeepclub.com
madmax79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.