FL to CT to Maine and back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Florida Jeep Forum > FL to CT to Maine and back

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
dugn8r
2008 JK Wrangler 

FL to CT to Maine and back

Well, I wanted the trip to go differently. The JK has been fantastic, though and it's had a LOT of wheeling. So far:

I was supposed to have the JK as a trade show display, however, I was deathly ill when I was supposed to catch the Auto Train. cancel that. Anyways, a few days later, when I felt better, I figured, what the hell? I've already got three (3) weeks off. I'm going on a road trip. So I loaded the JK up like a pack mule and began the trip to Maine. I did, however, stop in CT to catch the last day of the show. What a bumer.

Anyways, the BFG's and the Teraflex 4" long arm suspension are a fantastic combination on the road. It it secure and does not wander a single bit! Just phenominal handling... far too good for what this beast is capable of.

I made CT in about 26 hours. Damn, this thing is thursty. I've been averaging about 14 mpg on the highway... tailgating every slow moving truck I could find. Luckily, I have the LOD rear bumper/gerry can holder. I actually had to use it to make it to a gas station. Woops. Some of the exits are far and few between in South Carolina. And that must be the longest, most boring state to drive through.

I left CT and got to Maine... what a beautiful state! I found a great place to stay in North Yarmouth. This is wheeling heaven for the east coast! The powerline trails run for miles and miles in each direction. I traveled almost 40 miles one day - taking 10 hours to do so. They have every combination one could love... deep, sticking mud, large rocks, big granite boulders and shoulders, streams... need I say more?

The Teraflex suspension has been getting a throrough workout, but it takes it without flinching and just gives the plushest ride over rocks and boulders. I took my cousin (who lives in the area) for a ride and we sent on some trails he can't take his quad on. He was convinced we would get stuck... I was not too sure myself. But the JK goes. and goes. Over anything. There was an old lifted Toyota that was in front of us, but he kept littering parts all over the trail. we passed him after pulling him out from being stuck. There was a Hummer H2 on the easy section of trail. I tried to convince him to follow me, but he refused (even after I assured him I would pull him out when he got stuck).

Speaking of stuck... I did manage to get is severely stuck in some DEEP, thick, black mud. the mud was so thick, in fact, I sheared the roller fairlead pin doing an extreme-angle pull (nothing else to latch on to). The Mile Marker winch was amazing... the whole winch was submerged for several minutes and I honestly didn't expect to make it out without a snatch block. but I did. It was a LONG, WET pull that made me glad I had a hydraulic.

I have some fantastic video and photos, but I will have to wait until I get home to post them. Maybe. I'll see if I can find a transfer cable and make some video for you peeps. All I can say is I never want to leave this place.

I will be driving the JK home on the 26th - all the way to Florida. God, I wish Florida would break off and fall into the Atlantic before I get back. That was I have a real excuse to return to Maine.

2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Auto tranny, Auto start, Mygig, hard top, tow package | Teraflex 4" Long Arm Suspension, Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrains, Vision X XMitter LED light bar, 2 Vision X HID off-road lights, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Mopar bumper, Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic winch, LOD rear bumper with rear-facing fog lights, spare tire carrier and Gerry Can carrier, locker modification, custom tool tray. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Last edited by dugn8r; 05-19-2008 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: add photos
dugn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Luckyduck
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry you had to pass through Mass!!! I was quite surprised you did not have a story about how good of drivers we are! NOT!!!!!!

CentralMass4wd.com

1993 Ranger 2wd - dd
1999 wranger 2.5 - it gets used for something
1978 international scout - being built
1998 Cherokee sport 4.0 auto
1957 CJ5 - restoring back to stock http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...54#post5168554
Bikes:2000 Ducati Monster 900: 2001 CBR 600 F4i: 1980 CB 900
my build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my-build-thread-those-us-low-budgets-550786/
Luckyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
dugn8r
2008 JK Wrangler 

Oh yeah - I've never seen so many damned ticks in all of my life. I had three ticks sucking the life out of me at once... my ankle, my waist band, and I had one on my left shoulder blade. Holy crap!
2008 JK Unlimited Rubicon - Auto tranny, Auto start, Mygig, hard top, tow package | Teraflex 4" Long Arm Suspension, Pro Comp 17x9 wheels, 37" BF Goodrich KM2 Mud Terrains, Vision X XMitter LED light bar, 2 Vision X HID off-road lights, Wild Boar Roof Rack, Mopar bumper, Mile Marker 10,500lb hydraulic winch, LOD rear bumper with rear-facing fog lights, spare tire carrier and Gerry Can carrier, locker modification, custom tool tray. I'm sure I'm missing something.
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
dugn8r
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1999jeep View Post
I'm sorry you had to pass through Mass!!! I was quite surprised you did not have a story about how good of drivers we are! NOT!!!!!!
I actually passed thgouth Mass at about 5 am - I came up 91, so I didn't pass though any congested areas. And brother - rest assured, as bad as you think Mass drivers are, try driving in the land of the Living Dead... Florida... where ANYONE can get a license. You don't need to speak english, know what the signs mean or even have working vision. As long as you have a white cane with a red tip to feel your way through traffic, Florida's DMV will give you a driver's license.
Unread 05-20-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
alaskanthunder
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to be taking a huge trip come July.

From down here in AZ, up to Vancouver! LOL I know I know, I am anticipating spending a grip. lol
Unread 05-20-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
JeepPilot88
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gotta love Maine

[1948 Willys CJ2a | Resto Project ]
JeepPilot88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.