Wanting to start a club in Columbus, GA - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Wanting to start a club in Columbus, GA

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #76
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

a little /update...

The trip is still on. Current plan stands as; head to the park the afternoon/evening of the 28th to set up camp and wheel all day Saturday and Sunday depending on how peoples rigs hold up.

Looking at, at least five Jeeps/trucks at the moment with the potential for ten or more. Mostly Jeeps but there is a gentleman with a newer Power Wagon who plans to come also. Come for a day or the whole weekend, should be fun and a good way to meet local, like minded wheelers.

Unread 01-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #77
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Were are you a Drill at? Im in 1-50 wheeling around post sounds like fun I see alot of Jeeps some are not so friendly though but I hope I can make it will probably have to follow somone will be my first ride what do I need to prep? I was looking at the site I can go up to Level 3 with my RGI according to their chart. Hope I can make it this weeked will be putting on my rear bumper so would be just in time.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
deerassassin22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:38 PM   #78
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerassassin22 View Post
Were are you a Drill at? Im in 1-50 wheeling around post sounds like fun I see alot of Jeeps some are not so friendly though but I hope I can make it will probably have to follow somone will be my first ride what do I need to prep? I was looking at the site I can go up to Level 3 with my RGI according to their chart. Hope I can make it this weeked will be putting on my rear bumper so would be just in time.
I am a DS at 2-54. As for prep... some camping gear, a strap is a good idea, and a good once over to ensure there are no ticking time bombs. What to check? Make sure your u-joints are in good shape, double check your steering compnents, and fluids. They don't do a tech inspection at the park. As for trails, that Ruby can take you a long way. There are at least 2 of us that will caravan over to the park together. We live in Patton Villiage and plan to head out between 4-5p on the 28th. You are welcome to meet us there or some place along the way.

The more the better. Don't be intimidated by the Morris Mountain web page. There is something there for every 4x4. There will be an array of rigs there. Of the guys I work with alone, we will have my CJ, Eagle327b's Cherokee, a stock 2010 Rubicon Unlimited, and a 1983 Grand Wagoneer. We are also expecting a Dodge Power Wagon, maybe a M715, and more. My point is, if you have a 4x4 bring it, we'll have a good time.

edit; whoops, your is not a ruby, no problem. I saw the reflection on the hood and thought it was a Rubicon graffic.
Unread 01-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #79
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I have no idea how to check my U-Joints but will figure it out. I will shoot you a pm got to go back to class. And camping sounds great will see what happens.
Cobra 29 CB, 4ft Firestick Antenna, Skid Row Evap Skid, Rockhard Engine Skid, Rockhard Tranny Skid, Mesh Grill Mod, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Front and Rear ARB Diff Covers, Smittybilt Rock Rails, KC 130Watt Long Range Lights, Delta Light Mounts, TorqFlo tranny cooler, Hood Louvers, Drake Hood Pins, AEV Snorkel, Smittybilt 10,000 Winch, Rockhard Shorty Bumper with KC 100watt Slim Light Driving Lights, JKS ACOS Front System, Breather Extensions.
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #80
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

checking u joints:
With your truck in gear crawl under there and twist on the driveshaft. You shouldn't feel any kind of movement. You may not even if they are bad but that's about the easiest way to tell if they are really shot.

With that said. Where are you guys getting your steel? Shipping prices are insane if your not buying 200ft and i have no need for that much steel. Also any sandblasting places in town?
My WJ build[COLOR="Blue"]:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/[/URL][/COLOR][URL="[NOPARSE][COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #484[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/URL]
MMjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 12:42 AM   #81
Eagle327b
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Man I think I need to be on here more often for how much Mr. Mayham throws my name around.

Anyways, as for what bjanks said is true and if there is slack just make sure if there is slack its not the tranny allowing a little play, some tranny/transfer cases have a little slack. If the slack is between the 2 u joints then yes a $20 dollar replacement would be a good idea. Another way is to look at the u-joints themselves for cracks or grease oozing out the caps or the body, unless u just greased them and it coming from below the caps.

If your rig fits into the category for level 3 trails then you will be impressed with yourself once you get there and play around. The difference between a level 1-4 trail is how hard you want to play. My XJ was stock besides a small lift, trimming the fenders and 33"x12.50 TSL's and I could do some level 4's and not some level 3's. It really depends on you and what you can and want to afford. My first trip costed me nothing besides transporting my XJ, but the second trip costed me my driver side stub staft and u-joint. To be honest I had almost as much fun trying to figure how to recover myself with Tim on a level 4 rock garden sideways with an open diff with only 2 wheel drive than most wheeling outings.

Everyone should go if possible the website is much more intimidating than the actual site, with the exception of a few obstacles. The trails out to the big obstacles are level 1-2 anyways but good for completely stock rigs not wanting to get to hairy right off the bat.

I'm overly motivated to get there and wheel the s*** out of my rig!!!!
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #82
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

As far a what to pack this is my list(it should give you ideas):
If your camping the tent, sleeping bag,toilettries(?), a stocked cooler full of food and beverages, spare u joints, spare driver side axle shaft(usually the one that breaks first), spare tire, jack, a good tool set, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, oh and its best to have front and rear recovery points. My trip to MMORV got caceled due to the recent snow. I heard its very wet and nasty up there.
My WJ build[COLOR="Blue"]:[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/04columbia-build-up-1015985/[/URL][/COLOR][URL="[NOPARSE][COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #484[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/URL]
Unread 01-19-2011, 11:32 AM   #83
00Tj-Peach
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in troy and would love to meet up and wheel with ya'll sometime. I cant make this trip but would love to tag along some other time. Be sure to post up the next outing. I am always trying to find someone to wheel with!
00Tj-Peach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM   #84
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Well I got all that except a spare driver side axle and shaft and a U-joints. i want to get just can't destroy my daily driver so will have to be nice to it and will be my first trip so we will see. Anyone bringing a grill? If I make it will brign about 5lbs of venison burger. Not sure were anyone gets steel or welding done around here just getting into the JEEP thing so we will see. Possible stupid question does everyone disconnect swaybars?
Unread 01-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #85
Eagle327b
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Sounds like a good packing list to me Bjanks. MMORV has bathrooms and a shower, just not the prettiest.

Deer if you browse on here for someone looking to part with some cause they upgraded would be the best idea. I had a guy on here help me out with a complete inner and outer shafts on both sides for $35 dollars. Just don't be a ME., the skinny pedal isn't the only answer to an obstacle.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #86
timmayham
1995 ZJ 

Yes there will be a grill. One of the gentlemen I work with is planning to bring his gas grill out. We are also bringing a gas generator and a small air compressor with an impact wrench and some other assorted goodies.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #87
MMjeep
2004 WJ 

i think youll be fine. when you start hopping let off,Thats what breaks stuff IMO. once you go youll be hooked I see lockers in your future.
Unread 01-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #88
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

I looking forward to it just dont want to be hinderance on an obstacle or anything. I look forward to trying out somethings just don't want to destroy my JEEP first time out ya know.
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:20 PM   #89
Eagle327b
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You wont be a hinderance. If there is an obstacle that you feel uncomfortable or peer pressure cant get you to do it most have a bypass. Now from my previous trips there the bypasses are still challenging in some areas
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #90
deerassassin22
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle327b View Post
You wont be a hinderance. If there is an obstacle that you feel uncomfortable or peer pressure cant get you to do it most have a bypass. Now from my previous trips there the bypasses are still challenging in some areas
Got to love peer pressure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.