Sweetwater Lane 6/22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Sweetwater Lane 6/22

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #1
Calvin4186
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sweetwater Lane 6/22

A few guys from my local forum are going tomorrow, meeting up about 2:00, if anyone would like to join. Its off of 20 near canton... if there is any interest, I'll put some directions up as to where it is specifically.

Middle GA Offroad
Calvin4186 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
tcox
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how about some photos and directions to this place for future reference?
Unread 06-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #3
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

There are some nice hill climbs around there besides the nasty mud holes.
Watch out for that mud hole in the far back, i ve seen jeeps on 40s dip thier air intakes in there.
N-A-S-T-Y

Mark
www.georgiacrawlers.com
GeorgiaCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Calvin4186
1991 XJ Cherokee 

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sweetwater%20lane%20canton&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

lemme know if this works

Middle GA Offroad
Unread 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm still waiting for a call back from the Corps of Engineers to see if that place is legal for us...
Do you have better intel?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

the side properties are illegal to ride on but the road is county road. so the road is legal.
If you have a hunters license you might get away from that.
Our club doesnt go there. how ever i have gone there with other clubs.
GBR went there on a club ride and we had tons of fun back during the droughts on lake altoona. We rode the embankment and rode the trails back.
I know Southern Jeeps has a bunch of rides out there as well.

Go there til you meet mr ocifer and if you do just claim innoncence and promiss not to return.

Mark
www.georgiacrawlers.com
Unread 06-23-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaCrawlers View Post
Go there til you meet mr ocifer and if you do just claim innoncence and promiss not to return.
Mark
This is what I was looking at also, Mark...
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/allatoona-citation-563285/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 06-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #8
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I got my call back from the Army Corps dude and he explained the laws and enforcement issues in the Sweetwater area.
We're not the big problem there; they are having the most trouble with the ATV guys that are running around on their land, private land, and watershed areas. The run-off into the lake is bad for water quality and soil conservation.
As far as our use goes, the county roads are legal to drive on but not to go mudding on, if that makes sense. It's illegal to tear-up the road.
I was informed that they did a bit of a crackdown around the lake over the past weekend and will be keeping an eye out in the future as well; they've adopted a "no warning" policy because of the severity of damage to many areas.

The officer emailed me several great topo maps of the areas above Carters Lake all the way up to US-74; he hunts up there and said there are some halfway challenging roads to explore and enjoy.
With Amicalola, Tellico, and these other roads around, I'm not feeling the need to push my luck at Sweetwater...

Unread 06-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Calvin4186
1991 XJ Cherokee 

yea we saw a bunch of younger guys on quads up there on sunday... and they were tearin it up quite a bit. ie:riding in the water at full throttle, tearing up the beach.

seems like its the people on quads that'll be closing it down for the rest of us.

Middle GA Offroad
Unread 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #10
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin4186 View Post
seems like its the people on quads that'll be closing it down for the rest of us.
That's right; we always need to remember that and try to set an example.
When I was up at Tellico on Saturday I saw some tracks where somebody had taken something with some really big tires up the side of an embankment and tore up the hillside ---- it was so obvious and is the kind of thing that will shut the trails for us all.
Self control and respect keep the trails open.

Unread 06-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #11
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I believe that most of our trail closures are due to atv's going off the designated trails and the 4x4's get the heat.
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #12
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

which brings us to this:
BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT!

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

FOREST SERVICE ANNOUNCES PROPOSED CHANGES FOR UPPER TELLICO OHV TRAILS

Steve Lohr, Tusquitee District Ranger, on the Nantahala National Forest, today announced proposed changes in the 39.5 mile Upper Tellico OHV Trail System. The proposal calls for maintaining approximately 24 miles of trails, upgrading five miles of Davis Creek Road for street-legal vehicle use, and closing and restoring 11 miles of other trails.

Under the proposal, the agency would construct about one mile of new OHV trail to preserve loop routes on existing OHV trails and correct water quality problems. In addition, seasonal closure of the entire system from January 1 to March 31 would be continued to prevent rutting and excessive sedimentation during winter wet and freeze-thaw periods. Temporary closures would be implemented after high rainfall events to prevent excessive erosion.

"No decisions have been made at this point and the proposed action is just a starting point for additional dialogue among all interested parties and a beginning of the formal environmental analysis process," stated Lohr.

For the next 30 days, the Forest Service will be inviting public comment on this proposal, which may be found at http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm. Comments may be sent to the Tusquitee District Ranger, 123 Woodland Drive, Murphy, NC 28906. Comments may also be sent via email to comments-southern-north-carolina-nan...itee@fs.fed.us.

THE COMMENT DEADLINE IS JULY 9, 2008

Interested parties are also encouraged to attend a public open house with informational displays where participants will be able to ask questions, learn more about the proposal and submit written comments and suggestions.

The Upper Tellico Off-Highway Vehicle Trail System Open House on new Trail Management Proposal is scheduled for Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:00 PM until 4:00 PM. It will be held at the First Baptist Church, 517 Hiwassee Street, Murphy, NC. The church is located at the intersection of US 74-19 and Hiwassee Street in Murphy (across the street from McDonald's); entrance for the open house will be marked. Individuals may come anytime during the open house hours.

For additional information about the open house, contact Candace Wyman at 828-837-5152 extension 113, or go to http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/nepa/tusquitee/tellico.htm

Thanks in advance for your support,
Brian Hawthorne
Public Lands Policy Director
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 102

Get BRC's Latest News & Alerts via RSS!
http://feeds.feedburner.com/BlueRibbonCoalition
www.georgiacrawlers.com
Unread 06-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
bebout
2006 TJ Wrangler 

going with GATR up to Tellico this weekend and we plan on attending the open house on Sat. 28th
bebout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.