JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Georgia Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/)
-   -   relocating to north georgia in about a week (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/relocating-north-georgia-about-week-1352818/)

misterpookie 04-05-2012 03:17 AM

relocating to north georgia in about a week

:wave:

hello georgians~

i currently live in florida but i'm relocating in the next week and a half to a spot in Ga known as jefferson. i know they have a local jeep night at the beef o'brady's out there on the first thursday of every month, but sadly my work prohibits me from attending. (they meet at night, and i work at night)

i got to go to the event once and everyone was really welcoming (the ones that weren't eating by the time i got there anyway) and they even had a firepit since it was awfully cold that night.

anyway, i figured this would be a good time to put a feeler out there for anybody who can recommend an offroad club, or knows any trails or possibly may even just wanna go wheeling sometime. to be fair, i am a bit of a novice, but willing to learn. just don't wanna destroy my jeep :thumbsup:

any friendly advice is appreciated (especially if there's any decent jeep-related businesses in the area as well) since i am really starting from scratch here.

as an aside, i spent the winter in jefferson and learned that if you need a mechanic shop that doesn't suck for something you can't do yourself. stop and ride is fair, cost effective, and thorough. i'll spare you the story of why i needed their services. ;)

misterpookie 04-05-2012 02:49 PM

:peaking: hallo?

misterpookie 04-06-2012 03:17 PM

guess everyone's wheeling :dunno:

guncrazy72 04-06-2012 08:45 PM

I am not to far from where you will live ( winder) but so far the closest place I know to ride is at Durhamtown off road park or at Beasley knob. I am not sure of any local forums anymore for trail rides besides north georgia jeepers but due to some issues that happened two weeks ago it has turned into a very slow forum.

There are a ton of service roads in north GA you can ride at but there are discussions about them being closed down. All of the places to ride are going away.

misterpookie 04-06-2012 09:01 PM

drama in the offroading club? :(

sounds like a bad start.

i have heard rumor of this beasly knob and it's particularly rough side path. sounds intriguing, though given how stock my jeep is i dunno if it'll be navigable for me. at least worth a shot :D

where's the best local place to get parts/work done?

lurch9 04-07-2012 02:28 AM

Check out GAOffroad.com or Midgaoffroad.com. lots of good folks to ride with.

GeorgiaCrawlers 04-07-2012 06:59 AM

Check out Georgia Crawlers.. if you don't like mud runs and like to make it back in one piece :)
www.georgiacrawlers.com

YJ1818 04-07-2012 06:52 PM

Welcome to GA ! I'm right outside Jefferson myself and have heard about jeep night at Beefo Brady's but never been there. The closest place to ride is Durahmtown and it's a pretty cool place that has a little bit of everything for everybody...mud,hills,trails,rocks

misterpookie 04-07-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaCrawlers (Post 13372184)
Check out Georgia Crawlers.. if you don't like mud runs and like to make it back in one piece :)
www.georgiacrawlers.com

being in florida, i find myself generally unamused by mud. making it back in one piece sounds like a good thing. :highfive:

best fifteen word summary you could have thrown at me. :D

CCOR 04-13-2012 09:11 AM

Welcome!

You are welcome anytime at CCOR (Classic City Off Road)!!

We are only about 10-15 min from Jefferson on Hwy 441.

Stop by, hang out, and check out the buggy that was just in CRAWL this month!

This offer is open to ANY other jeepers as well!!:D

xjmarc 04-13-2012 09:27 PM

I've done some rides with GATR ( Georgia Trail Riders) and they have a website but most are fairly hardcore wheelers.

misterpookie 04-18-2012 12:59 AM

well guys, i have been here for two whole days now. woot! the terrain is MUCH more interesting than florida's flat sand and mud.

but i have noticed something.....

why do GA jeepers not wave? i have seen a lot of jeeps here..... but i think i only got one wave (from a guy in another TJ) :(

is it local custom not to? :confused:

guncrazy72 04-18-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misterpookie
well guys, i have been here for two whole days now. woot! the terrain is MUCH more interesting than florida's flat sand and mud.

but i have noticed something.....

why do GA jeepers not wave? i have seen a lot of jeeps here..... but i think i only got one wave (from a guy in another TJ) :(

is it local custom not to? :confused:

I've noticed it depends on the area. If your in a more " city " type area like Buford, Hamelton mill they never wave back. If your out in a more country area most of the time they wave. The JKs never wave unless they are modded.

I was out heading into winder and then going to Bogart two days ago and I must have had 10 waves by other Jeeps!

misterpookie 04-18-2012 04:21 PM

i've been around jefferson, commerce, winder and athens.

got my second jeep wave today. i feel accomplished.

if the kind jeeper in the red TJ with a snorkel and a good number of aux lights is reading this, please know you made my day. :D

guncrazy72 04-18-2012 05:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I live in Winder and I think I've seen than Jeep before.

Here is my Jeep

The time now is 05:11 PM.