Play in steering in 79 cj5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Four Wheeling Forums > Wheelin' Neighborhood > South East USA > Georgia Jeep Forum > Play in steering in 79 cj5

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
ZachBlalock
1979 CJ5 

Play in steering in 79 cj5

I know they had play when they where new but is there any thing I can do to make the steering a little more modern feeling? Not trying to be a baby about it but I really want my jeep to be more of a daily driver and living in a city it is proving to be difficult.
It's a 1979 cj5 renagade with 35in tires and lift of 4in

ZachBlalock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
GeorgiaCrawlers
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Replace the steering pump. They aren't made for big tires.
quoted from CJ Forum:
The Ross steering box on the old CJ's are notorious for excessive play. There is an adjustment for it on the side of the box, but in my experience it won't "fix" what your describing. Also, don't rule out that part of the play (no tire movement) can come from worn ball joints; many moving parts in an old CJ's steering linkage... In my case when the wheel was centered, it would move about 5" to either side of center before any tire movement took place!! Definitely unsat, but I lived with it for many years (also unsat!)... My solution was a Saginaw P/S conversion; and I haven't regretted it since completion in '98. I'm sure there are resources for rebuilding the box; but unless looking to restore the CJ, it's just not worth it. JMHO!!

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f19/is...#ixzz1ntyUX8g7
www.georgiacrawlers.com
GeorgiaCrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
philmckrackon

79 CJ already has a saginaw box, not ross steering.

You need to check all normal steering geometry - tie rod ends, ball joints, gear box functions and the lower coupler on the steering shaft.
philmckrackon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.