NORTH GEORGIA: (Athens, Jefferson area) what's a great place to go primitive camping? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-05-2014, 05:28 AM Thread Starter
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Lightbulb NORTH GEORGIA: (Athens, Jefferson area) what's a great place to go primitive camping?

Good morning, everyone.

Some of you may remember me from about a year ago. I had just moved to the area and had no idea where to wheel safely/legally.

to be honest, I could probably *still* use some advice on that.

However, this thread is about camping in general. Preferably primitive camping. Looking for good places to hike or drive out to, set up a tent, and be at peace. No facilities. No lots. Just what you can bring and what you can find.

Having some camping buddies may be cool too. Since i made the mistake of getting my best friend gainfully employed at the same job as me, we can't easily get time off at the same time. But hey, at least he can buy gear now?

So, let's talk about good places to camp and maybe get to know each other a bit. Maybe we can talk about great camping gear, or general even share knowledge.

jeep-sleep: N, V,
1: (verb) to fall asleep in one's jeep, generally in the reclined position or perhaps even on top of the roof. Ex: :I think i may pull over and jeep-sleep for a bit"
2: (noun) the sleep one gets while in a jeep. Ex: "Dude, that wasn't a nap.. it was a jeep sleep."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR SALE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-08-2014, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

bump of shame?

1: (verb) to fall asleep in one's jeep, generally in the reclined position or perhaps even on top of the roof. Ex: :I think i may pull over and jeep-sleep for a bit"
2: (noun) the sleep one gets while in a jeep. Ex: "Dude, that wasn't a nap.. it was a jeep sleep."

FOR SALE:
post #3 of 18 Old 01-11-2014, 07:02 AM
98GAXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

This place is far from you, but fun to explore. They use to have a free paper map there. Do not really need a 4WD, but lots of trails, creek crossing, gun range, & you can camp at the creek.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W..._Range_Alto_GA

If you want to wheel & camp, try Beasley's Knob.

post #4 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98GAXJ View Post
This place is far from you, but fun to explore. They use to have a free paper map there. Do not really need a 4WD, but lots of trails, creek crossing, gun range, & you can camp at the creek.

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W..._Range_Alto_GA

If you want to wheel & camp, try Beasley's Knob.

so... um... i'm going to sound like a complete idiot when i ask this... but is that a 3-in-1 shooting range/campsite/hunting area?

WHY DIDN'T THEY HAVE THIS KIND OF AWESOME IN FLORIDA?

FOR SALE:
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2014, 02:56 PM
98GAXJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No, it's spread out over a couple of hundred acres.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-20-2014, 11:59 PM
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the forestry road map off of their website (link below). the roads themselves aren't to crazy, a little slick if it has been raining but there is all kinds of camp sites along the way check out my write up on Sheep Wallow Rd and some of the forestry rds. Also If you look on the forest rd write up click the google link to the map and you can see the other forest roads.

Forest RD write up: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/...ga-ga-1317760/

map link: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fs...Forest-%20Maps
post #7 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 01:00 PM
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofcrtj View Post
I pulled the forestry road map off of their website (link below). the roads themselves aren't to crazy, a little slick if it has been raining but there is all kinds of camp sites along the way check out my write up on Sheep Wallow Rd and some of the forestry rds. Also If you look on the forest rd write up click the google link to the map and you can see the other forest roads.
He said legal, Sheep Wallow is illegal. You are probably also ignorant to the fact that your thread is the first thing that comes up in google along with a argument of why public lands needs to be closed. Yet there is your **** bouncing around in the stream in video. It would be wise to request to have that thread deleted and do the same with the videos.

misterpookie I can fill you in a little. My favorite spots are Wildcat Creek RD by lake Rabun and the Red Lands at the end of Oconee National forest. We will be going to Durhamtown Plantation sometime this month if you want to tag along.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-04-2014, 02:47 PM
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeDoctor View Post

He said legal, Sheep Wallow is illegal. You are probably also ignorant to the fact that your thread is the first thing that comes up in google along with a argument of why public lands needs to be closed. Yet there is your **** bouncing around in the stream in video. It would be wise to request to have that thread deleted and do the same with the videos.

misterpookie I can fill you in a little. My favorite spots are Wildcat Creek RD by lake Rabun and the Red Lands at the end of Oconee National forest. We will be going to Durhamtown Plantation sometime this month if you want to tag along.
What do you base this on?
post #9 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 09:25 AM
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The fact that the county has been trying to abandon that road scone 2009 due to lack of utilization if they haven't already, basis one. I have heard rumors that gates have been put up in certain spots, basis two. The fact that the National Forest starts on the other side of Hwy 52, meaning that the property on either side of Sheep Wallow is privately owned even if the road is still maintained by the County. If you don't have permission from the land owner you are trespassing, basis three. The fact that the stream that people keep trespassing through is causing excess sediment into the downstream water supply and the Georgia Water Colation has gotten wind of it and labeled the area as illegal, basis four. For future reference this type of activity is illegal in the National Forest as well. You have to stay on the designated roads reguardless if it is public land. One of the solutions is to shut down access to the National Forrest because people won't stay on the roads. Continuing to visit this property and post videos up is only starting a battle no one is going to win from. Maybe they haven't already gotten your video and deside to make an example of you to prove their point.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM
ofcrtj
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The fact that the county has been trying to abandon that road scone 2009 due to lack of utilization if they haven't already, basis one. I have heard rumors that gates have been put up in certain spots, basis two. The fact that the National Forest starts on the other side of Hwy 52, meaning that the property on either side of Sheep Wallow is privately owned even if the road is still maintained by the County. If you don't have permission from the land owner you are trespassing, basis three. The fact that the stream that people keep trespassing through is causing excess sediment into the downstream water supply and the Georgia Water Colation has gotten wind of it and labeled the area as illegal, basis four. For future reference this type of activity is illegal in the National Forest as well. You have to stay on the designated roads reguardless if it is public land. One of the solutions is to shut down access to the National Forrest because people won't stay on the roads. Continuing to visit this property and post videos up is only starting a battle no one is going to win from. Maybe they haven't already gotten your video and deside to make an example of you to prove their point.
I haven't been there since the day of the original post and I promise you if there had been any gate or signs on the way there I wouldn't have gone on the road. I was going off of the bases that it was still a county road that is listed on the map. Also before going on the road I spoke with a resident at the bottom of the hill who told me that it was still a county Rd but that the bridge had washed out years ago. We also never got off of the road which I followed on my gps. I know that the adjacent power lines are often ridden on but we did not because I didn't want to deviate from the county road. I'm not trying to get in an argument believe me I won't chance it again. If you could expand on some better places please let me know. I can't afford to have anyone "make an example" out of me. And as far as the Forrest service roads go I pulled the map of them straight off of their website. We even got to a gate and turned around. Hope you don't get the wrong impression believe me I am not one to break the law.
post #11 of 18 Old 02-07-2014, 03:56 PM
TCrook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterpookie
Good morning, everyone.

Some of you may remember me from about a year ago. I had just moved to the area and had no idea where to wheel safely/legally.

to be honest, I could probably *still* use some advice on that.

However, this thread is about camping in general. Preferably primitive camping. Looking for good places to hike or drive out to, set up a tent, and be at peace. No facilities. No lots. Just what you can bring and what you can find.

Having some camping buddies may be cool too. Since i made the mistake of getting my best friend gainfully employed at the same job as me, we can't easily get time off at the same time. But hey, at least he can buy gear now?

So, let's talk about good places to camp and maybe get to know each other a bit. Maybe we can talk about great camping gear, or general even share knowledge.
Look up Beasley Knob in Blairsville. You can camp there. Legal. $5.00 a day to ride/camp. All kinds of trails. Easy to difficult. It shuts down in Dec. And opens up again in March (don't quote me on that) Again, it is Legal to ride there. Or go to One of the OHV parks in AL or TN. Morris Mtn., Chocolocco Mtn, Adventure Off Road, even Duramtowm out towards Augusta. Not sure why you would want to ride a county road anyway. Just my opinion.
post #12 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
misterpookie
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

AW CRAP. I missed this post. Sadly, my work has not been kind to me lately, though I'm finally starting to get some free time. I would have loved to have met up with some local jeepers and checked out Durhamtown. I've heard a lot about it, but going with just one jeep feels a bit depressing. Also, I appreciate you trying to keep me on the good side of the law. I'm not really a fan of making people angry for no good reason, or damaging unsuspecting ecosystems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCrook View Post
Look up Beasley Knob in Blairsville. You can camp there. Legal. $5.00 a day to ride/camp. All kinds of trails. Easy to difficult. It shuts down in Dec. And opens up again in March (don't quote me on that) Again, it is Legal to ride there. Or go to One of the OHV parks in AL or TN. Morris Mtn., Chocolocco Mtn, Adventure Off Road, even Duramtowm out towards Augusta. Not sure why you would want to ride a county road anyway. Just my opinion.
I've been thinking about Beasley. What is the camping like there? Would I have to worry about passing ATVs at odd hours, and the like?

FOR SALE:
post #13 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 07:44 PM
TCrook
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You can camp at certain places at Beasley. You will see some ATV's out there but I would not worry about them running up and down trails at midnight or anything like that. The camping is primitive if you are ok with that? Personally that is my style of camping.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM
Louie4
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like Beasley also. Been there more times than I can count. I think there was only one time some ATV's came up the trail at night but I wouldn't worry about it. They opened March 31st so it should be a good time.

If it rains they may close. If it rains while you're there, good luck going up some of the trails. Especially 93B.

Lou

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

post #15 of 18 Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Be cautious at Durhamtown. It is a mud pit. At least make sure you have your doors and top on.

Yes, there are dry trails. But there are more mud trails than I care to deal with. I'm still trying to wash out all of the mud I gathered from there last month.

2008 2-dr Rubicon, auto,
RK 2.5" Max Travel, Rancho 9000XL shocks, 37" Nittos, 5.38's, RR skids, Warn VR8000-S.
RIPP Gen 2 Stg 2 Supercharger.
Political Correctness offends me.

Tags
camping , meetups , north georgia

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.